Disgaea 5's failure could spell the end for Nippon Ichi

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
There we go, if MS keeps the price distance, the XBone has a good chance of making a good comeback.
They won't though. This price break is for the holidays. At this point, they probably can't afford to keep it at $350. This was likely a move just to get more systems in actual people hands to increase software sales especially of exclusive content.

More systems = more software sales = more developer support = more systems selling at the $400 price tag

Edit: Also, pretty much every current gen system is bombing in Japan currently because none of them have games the Japanese want to play. The systems all currently have a high western appeal, but clearly the Wii U isn't doing it for them and the PS4 and Xbox One are far more west friendly. The PS4 needs Japanese friendly RPGs and the like to move systems there. They need games developed in Japan that appeal to the Japanese that acknowledge their culture and gaming preferences.

Developing for the 3DS may have been smarter, but at the same time, Disgaea DS only sold about 180k units. They may not have wanted to take the risk of not reaching that number again on a Nintendo handheld. Had Disgaea DS sold better, there would probably be more faith in Nintendo handheld systems. To add to this argument, Disgaea 4, previously a PS3 exclusive and still a Sony exclusive sold 540k on the PS3 alone. All in all, Sony systems show more hope than Nintendo systems. Another fun fact, Disgaea 4 actually sold the most in North America, selling 250k of the 540k units.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They hate everything from the west. That's why PSO2 will never ever come stateside, let alone anywhere near Europe.

Rather than hate from my experiences while talking with some japanese it seems lots of them consider themselves a superior race. Well they don't say it loud but you can quite often get the 'we are better than the rest of the world' vibe from japanese. There's also a load of xenophobia involved, add to that multiple failures from many companies who don't seem to be cable on learning from their own mistakes and idiotic prices and we get the result.

Honestly i already gave up on expecting japanese to deliever anything worth my time in any official way and put my efforts into learning the language.

This was likely a move just to get more systems in actual people hands to increase software sales especially of exclusive content.

xbone has exclusive content ?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They won't though. This price break is for the holidays. At this point, they probably can't afford to keep it at $350. This was likely a move just to get more systems in actual people hands to increase software sales especially of exclusive content.

More systems = more software sales = more developer support = more systems selling at the $400 price tag

Edit: Also, pretty much every current gen system is bombing in Japan currently because none of them have games the Japanese want to play. The systems all currently have a high western appeal, but clearly the Wii U isn't doing it for them and the PS4 and Xbox One are far more west friendly. The PS4 needs Japanese friendly RPGs and the like to move systems there. They need games developed in Japan that appeal to the Japanese that acknowledge their culture and gaming preferences.

Developing for the 3DS may have been smarter, but at the same time, Disgaea DS only sold about 180k units. They may not have wanted to take the risk of not reaching that number again on a Nintendo handheld. Had Disgaea DS sold better, there would probably be more faith in Nintendo handheld systems. To add to this argument, Disgaea 4, previously a PS3 exclusive and still a Sony exclusive sold 540k on the PS3 alone. All in all, Sony systems show more hope than Nintendo systems. Another fun fact, Disgaea 4 actually sold the most in North America, selling 250k of the 540k units.
Yeah but Disgaea DS had to be trimmed down a lot in order to work on the DS, not to mention the far-superior PSP port was released not long after, if not before the DS version.

Rather than hate from my experiences while talking with some japanese it seems lots of them consider themselves a superior race. Well they don't say it loud but you can quite often get the 'we are better than the rest of the world' vibe from japanese.
Yeah maybe hate is a strong word, but it seems to be common knowledge that nationalism is very strong in Japan.

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just release it on steam. Strategy JRPGs are few and far between on PC, so with an active userbase of 75 million+, at a reasonable price - 39.99$/€ for example, cheaper than most new games - they could easily sell 150k.

I don't think there are so many turn based srpg in PC. plus it's disgaea... the last time I spent 100+ hours was disgaea 1. I don't think most western gamers who play only FPS/TPS will ever play this game.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't think there are so many turn based srpg in PC. plus it's disgaea... the last time I spent 100+ hours was disgaea 1. I don't think most western gamers who play only FPS/TPS will ever play this game.

Even if you count out fps/tps only crowd there's still shitload of people who are playing games. Then again rpg players in the west are more demanding towards the story and despise grind if it's not mmo. There's also a lot of people who look down on japanese style. Disgaea has some interesting mechanics however i doubt it'd do that well among rpg/strategy fans.

Still i dunno if it'd do worse than in japan. They're market is slowly dying. By that i mean while in west games became mainstream in japan it's something 'creepy maniacs' and children do.

NVash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they'd release the Disgaea series on Android. It doesn't require lightning fast reflexes and would do well with sleep mode and multi tile. A PC port wouldn't be nearly as good since Disgaea is defiantly a portable game.
Its been said here before but I feel they should release it on 3DS or WiiU. Id agree with Android only if it plays on phones with huge screens and tablets but a regular phone would make reading the text a pain in the neck. Personally I like the idea of it on 3DS much more. I never played beyond the first Disgaia back when it was worth a small fortune. I bought it due to the hype and was disappointed. The game took forever and a day and I was still in the first blasted battle. I remember looking at the clock thinking hours had past and finding only one had past. Thats not a good sign for the game.

Now Monster Hunter, I hated that game with a passion on PSP but downloaded the demo on 3DS. Im surprised to say I enjoy it and play it often with an intent to purchase it ASAP and a preorder for Monster Hunter 4 already done.

Maybe Disgaia can do something like that? Maybe itll work much better on 3DS? It did well enough for Advance Wars. If they released all of them to date in maybe two bundles for download, the first being the original trilogy much like they just did with Phoenix Wright, and then the second just having 4 and 5, Id buy it. The WiiU option is only for the bigger screen and to get the voice acting back but I can live without it.

GameWinner

Take your heart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its been said here before but I feel they should release it on 3DS or WiiU. Id agree with Android only if it plays on phones with huge screens and tablets but a regular phone would make reading the text a pain in the neck. Personally I like the idea of it on 3DS much more. I never played beyond the first Disgaia back when it was worth a small fortune. I bought it due to the hype and was disappointed. The game took forever and a day and I was still in the first blasted battle. I remember looking at the clock thinking hours had past and finding only one had past. Thats not a good sign for the game.

Now Monster Hunter, I hated that game with a passion on PSP but downloaded the demo on 3DS. Im surprised to say I enjoy it and play it often with an intent to purchase it ASAP and a preorder for Monster Hunter 4 already done.

Maybe Disgaia can do something like that? Maybe itll work much better on 3DS? It did well enough for Advance Wars. If they released all of them to date in maybe two bundles for download, the first being the original trilogy much like they just did with Phoenix Wright, and then the second just having 4 and 5, Id buy it. The WiiU option is only for the bigger screen and to get the voice acting back but I can live without it.
Disgaea was already on DS and it flopped.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3