Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
People have had several days now to adjust their news posting habits accordingly to comply with this request.

From now on any blatant plagiaristic USN news articles I see will be locked and their OP's trashed.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many forums copy and paste their articles. Long has you post quotes and a link, your not do anything illegal. GBATEMP is already behind with the version of VB they are using. Bet they haven't updated the servers in awhile too and this is a tempt to lower resource usage. Making a new rule of article posting is fine and all, but don't fucking lying about the real reason behind it!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Many forums copy and paste their articles. Long has you post quotes and a link, your not do anything illegal. GBATEMP is already behind with the version of VB they are using. Bet they haven't updated the servers in awhile too and this is a tempt to lower resource usage. Making a new rule of article posting is fine and all, but don't fucking lying about the real reason behind it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_foil_hat

So I'm guessing you missed the normal posters who are in agreement?

And this thread?
http://gbatemp.net/topic/326613-plagiarism/

And the mention of other sites that actually WERE getting into legal trouble for copy-pasting articles?

Jesus christ.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Huh. We're under the latest version of iP.Board, and the servers are in the best shape in YEARS.

But maybe you're right there's a conspiracy, I fe- OH GAWD, PLEASE DROP THAT GUN COSTY, DON'T HURT ME

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*bang*

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'll find a better forum for my gaming needs. gbatemp has jumped the shark with this new outrageous ruling.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I think i get it but... what if the article you're sourcing is really short itself? (eg Eurogamer news). Are we then allowed to copy the entire article?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I think i get it but... what if the article you're sourcing is really short itself? (eg Eurogamer news). Are we then allowed to copy the entire article?
heres an idea: use your own words
I always put my own thoughts after the article but I feel re-writing an entire article would
1) Waste far too much time seeing as you're simply re-writing what has already been written
2) Create a strong bias in nearly every article posted in USN seeing as most people on the temp have... strong views....

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I always put my own thoughts after the article but I feel re-writing an entire article would
1) Waste far too much time seeing as you're simply re-writing what has already been written
2) Create a strong bias in nearly every article posted in USN seeing as most people on the temp have... strong views....
i did it im sure you could too.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
gallery_123159_43_789.jpg

Bet they haven't updated the servers in awhile too and this is a tempt to lower resource usage. Making a new rule of article posting is fine and all, but don't fucking lying about the real reason behind it!

When we updated the forum software recently we also got an extra server along with it to cope with the load. The old server handles 33% of board functions while the new, far more powerful server, handles the remaining 66%.

So yeah, shows how much you know.

I beg you don't cry.

AHAHAHAHA

;O;

Reactions: 7 people

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Some of us have lives you know?
Isn't the main reason that USN exists to stimulate discussion about news within GBAtemp? In which case why does it matter so much about the OP? It's WHAT they post that matters, not who wrote it.

Reactions: 2 people

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Isn't the main reason that USN exists to stimulate discussion about news within GBAtemp? In which case why does it matter so much about the OP? It's WHAT they post that matters, not who wrote it.

Nobody is expecting you to re-write an ENTIRE article, just to not plagiarize the entire thing (which was what a lot of people were doing recently) and write a brief synopsis of a couple of sentences of the essence of the news you are posting. This shouldn't take more than a few minutes of your precious life.

I also beg you not to cry.

;O;

Reactions: 3 people

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'll find a better forum for my gaming needs. gbatemp has jumped the shark with this new outrageous ruling.
I can't help but think that leaving due to your believe that news should be copy/pasted is a really piss poor reason. Yet, at the same time, for coming up with said piss poor reason I would rather not do anything to stop you from leaving.

I have life. I never read shit about any USN template. I stole my news from DS-Scene and totally didn't source them (I used their source as my source). And you know what? My post STILL follows the template somehow, because the template is fucking generic and easy to do. Are you seriously telling me that you want to just post news to get e-peen, or do you actually want to ADD SOME THOUGHT to your opening post and just start off with your own thoughts first and just have people check the source if they want to know the full details.
To make things shorter. I have been given a great idea...no, a FAAAAAAABULOUS!! idea if I say so myself. With this splendid method, you don't have to type up the article, you don't have to summarize, you don't even have to fucking copy/paste. Just write your opinion, add link to source, discuss. Yes, you have a life. So stop wasting it by copy/pasting and just get to the fucking point.

Reactions: 1 person

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia

oh yeah, play THAT card. it really takes up so much of your free time to type out 5 sentences and link back to a source page for more information. if you can't type out 2-5 news articles in under 20 minutes you are doing something wrong.

copying from another site is blatantly illegal. not all sites will copyright their content, not all sites will even care... while commonsense is apparently absent for most of the internet, we simply ask that isn't here.

we want original content. we wanted it 2 years ago. its only now that the level of plagiarism reached an all time high and some of the staff decided to start discussing it. the result of said discussions was to enforce the rule... don't copy/pate instead spend a few minutes summarizing your thoughts.

lets face it, it looks really bad when content is copy and pasted. it makes the poster look lazy and it reflects poorly on the quality of the site.

is the issue here that you feel its to much work for users to check a source link for a more in depth version of the story? do you feel that summarizing into your own words doesn't do the story justice?

-another world

Reactions: 3 people

gloweyjoey

who??
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also just wanted to add that when I posted something in USN I was not posting it in hopes to get it put on the front page, and im also positive that others also were not posting articles simply to have them put on the front page. Just saying. From what I gather, we can still copy and paste articles but just not in USN as every thread in the USN is apparently submitted for front page approval( I remember having to click on something for this before).

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I also just wanted to add that when I posted something in USN I was not posting it in hopes to get it put on the front page, and im also positive that others also were not posting articles simply to have them put on the front page. Just saying. From what I gather, we can still copy and paste articles but just not in USN as every thread in the USN is apparently submitted for front page approval( I remember having to click on something for this before).
no, that option is useless anyway

you cant copy and paste anywhere on the forum.
p1ngpong has been locking threads in general off topic etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I would've said show me how it rides
    I always wanted one of those Smart Cars with a Hyabusa motor in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm getting sick and tired of cheap ass baking pans now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think it be cool to have one that would fit in my pickup truck bed, then I could put down ramps n drive it off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Used this one 5 times already impossible to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 I didn't know Sonic serves they food in baking pans.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @K3Nv2 I didn't know Sonic serves they food in baking pans.