Homebrew Do we really need new 3DS Homebrews?

Lotoonlink

Probably doesn't know what he's talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to thank you @hippy dave , all my work of the last year starts with your alpha version of Handy3ds :grog:

These are the projects I almost finished:

Zelda Picross (only sound missing, I usually add it whene verything else works fine)

View attachment 69889 View attachment 69890 View attachment 69891 View attachment 69892

Griffon Legends (I have to fix some crashes and to add sound)

View attachment 69893 View attachment 69894 View attachment 69895 View attachment 69896

And in my homebrew folder I found that I have a version of SuperTux Milestone1 already compiling that I have to start to debug. I forgot to have it.
WOAH! That's some pretty nice stuff you got going there, zelda picross looks preety sweet!

MannCo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to thank you @hippy dave , all my work of the last year starts with your alpha version of Handy3ds :grog:

Zelda Picross (only sound missing, I usually add it whene verything else works fine)

View attachment 69889 View attachment 69890 View attachment 69891 View attachment 69892

View attachment 69893 View attachment 69894 View attachment 69895 View attachment 69896

And in my homebrew folder I found that I have a version of SuperTux Milestone1 already compiling that I have to start to debug. I forgot to have it.
This is pretty cool!

pandavova

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What the 3ds scene really needs is a couple of Roguelikes! Then the 3ds would be immortal! Since Roguelikes means infinite gameplay :)

Spelunky Classic and Witch Blast are two projects that has been started by Shutterbug2000 and theCruel. But then never got finished, yet. There are a LOT of great other open source Roguelikes that could be ported!
<3 I want them too!

Reactions: SLiV3R

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country

Both of these looks awsome!!!

Im eager to try them out!

SLiV3R

Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Thank you for the hint. Powder sources are already in the folder of possible future projects. Maybe after releasing Zelda Picross (that miss only sound) and Griffon legend, I could start it.

Poring Spelunky would be great, but coding the whole engine from scratch is a lot of work to do. I successfully imported Spelunky source on Enigma, but replacing the 386 toolchain with the devkit pro toolchain and porting all the needed libs for the 3ds, is time consuming too.

Witch Blast seems to be an easier project, the big work is porting SFML or at least mapping it's API to ctrulib calls. Let see if someone decide to start this project :)

One of the best Roguelikes ever, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, is actually open source:

image.jpeg

https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=start

It is probably a little bit harder to port than Powder. But Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is among top 3 of all time Roguelikes :)

Last edited by SLiV3R,

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So basically you're looking for praise before you continue your projects/work? Whatever works for you buddy.

I't's not a matter of praise, the amount of work in progress and already finished should say enough about my love for coding.

Maybe I'm trying to move a little bit of interest from this Sun/Moon mania (that will finish in some weeks) to the homebrew scene, that is less developed that the PSP one.

D

Deleted User

Well, the 3DS homebrew community had reached a peak. The peak of the homebrew scene being nice in terms of homebrew, and the only homebrew to come out would probably be games or little things. It's the perfect time to be in the homebrew community because it's so streamlined for everything. It can only get better from here, but how much better can it get?

In terms of homebrew I want, a moonshell port or something along those lines would be super nice. I want to play music on my 3ds and video. I always liked moonshell and the homebrew DS had, and have always felt 3DS homebrew is very lack-luster compared to the DS scene.

SLiV3R

Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
@nop90 and all other cool coders:

There is actually one missing essential emulator for the 3ds: Amiga. It was a fantastic 16 bit system, just like the Megadrive and the SNES. But while the Megadrive and SNES had around 1000 commercial games each, the Amiga probably had over 3000 commercial games.

The Amiga was such a fantastic and iconic machine. Hope someone ports it. I know it is fully possible, at least for the N3DS :)

ShadowEO

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OffTopic:
Wow, It's been so long I had to reset my password! lol Haven't logged in since the DS scene was at it's peak, may actually start becoming active again now that I have a couple 3DSes.

Back Ontopic:
Personally, I would love more 3DS Homebrew. I miss when the DS community was mostly about homebrew, but it appears that as with all hacked consoles, the community has mostly devolved into almost solely facilitating piracy. I mean, I see more references to "that ISO site" than I do homebrew nowadays :/

That said, the homebrew spotlighted here look amazing! Gotta say devs, great work!

TheMynx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I appreciate your work, but in my opinion, if you're going to port games you should try porting some of the more popular ones or perhaps ask the community what game they would like to see ported, and depending on your capabilities, port it to the 3DS.

PS: Great job on porting Zelda Picross & Griffon Legend, they both look very promising!

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@nop90 and all other cool coders:

There is actually one missing essential emulator for the 3ds: Amiga. It was a fantastic 16 bit system, just like the Megadrive and the SNES. But while the Megadrive and SNES had around 1000 commercial games each, the Amiga probably had over 3000 commercial games.

The Amiga was such a fantastic and iconic machine. Hope someone ports it. I know it is fully possible, at least for the N3DS :)
^^ Verry much this , sadly my own A500 sits in the closet since its Floppy Drive gave out and teh damned Gotek Floppy emulator adapters been held up in EU Customs for almost a month now, its gets no use (i cant afford no 600$+ investment in an GVP Accelerator or other Accelerator+HDD Kit :/

Anywho to the topic, Emulators only go so far, games even if they're minigame-esque would be a nice fresh breath of air around here, granted the average temper only cares about how to install CIA games from "That Iso Site/Chaos Site" or thru means like Freeshop. dont let it get you down and continue for the people that look forward to new homebrew! (i've had fun w/ some like Killerman that MMBN like game thats some far pages back. its a nice diversion but full blown games like your porting would grab those that care's longer attention.

Reactions: SLiV3R

Lotoonlink

Probably doesn't know what he's talking about
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, what? Why did Griffon Legends come out before Zelda Picross? Weren't you close to finishing that? Hissss, picrosssss. (Although I'm not ungrateful for Girffon Legends)

Roomsaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see more references to "that ISO site" than I do homebrew nowadays :/
Honestly most of the references I see are for dev tools and other things that can't be on GBATemp for legal reasons (and no, I don't mean games). Regardless, I really enjoy using new homebrew even in 3DSX format.

Reactions: tnecniv43208

nop90

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I appreciate your work, but in my opinion, if you're going to port games you should try porting some of the more popular ones or perhaps ask the community what game they would like to see ported, and depending on your capabilities, port it to the 3DS.!

There is a thread for 3ds homebrew ideas and suggestions, and I often look at it.

What I'm doing is searching for good homebrew games made for GCW-Zero, PSP or other handhelds that have a 320x200 resolution, and most the sources of the best available games of this kind are already on my PC.

I'm selecting the games to port depending on topics I want to learn: with Griffon Legend and Zelda Picross I'm experimenting with Ogg Vorbis decoding. With Biniax I experimented with the UDS service for direct 3ds to 3ds connection to have multiplayer games ( I wasn't able to make it work at my first try, that's the main reason I'm waiting to port Mario Wars, I want it with multiplayer mode). One of the next projects could be a simple game using the Allegro lib (I'm thinking at Alex the Allegator) just to learn to map the Allegro functions to the ctrulib ones.

What else we miss?

Emulator are widely implemented, probably we only miss an Amiga emulator as someone pointed out. I have two emulator project halted that I sould finish first o later, than Amiga could be an option.

I'm not experienced with 3d graphics and I don't have time to learn it, so forget about games like SuperTuxKart. The other open source games are too complex to be portred by a single person or are designed for for large screens and doesn't look fine on the 3ds 400x240 LCD.

Wait, what? Why did Griffon Legends come out before Zelda Picross? Weren't you close to finishing that? Hissss, picrosssss. (Although I'm not ungrateful for Girffon Legends)

Zelda Picross has a weird flickering on a real 3ds and I can't figure out why it's happening. Probably I'll release an Alpha version this weekend (it works fine on Citra)

Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok thanks, I love my X but have not messed with a S yet.