Hacking Do Wii u games and Wii games require separate drives?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just setup my Wii u with haxchi and all seems to be well so far. Tried a couple of games and seems ok. I have them running off a 1tb drive.

Am now looking at sorting out the Wii side of things and my question is, do I need a different hard drive or USB stick etc for Wii games or is there a way of having them both on the 1tb hard drive?

I don't want to use an SD card as I will be using that for GameCube games I believe with Nintendont. Can anyone advise?

DaTank45

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they have to be two separate drives. The wii u formats to a proprietary structure that only the wii u can see. The wii uses fat 32. On my set up I have two separate drives, one for the wii u and one for the wii.

Akira

I'm not a SHRIMP!!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does partitioning the drive works in wii u much like in wii? or does wii u reads and formats the drive as a whole?

DaTank45

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't partition the drive. It wont work. You also should use ustealth to hide the wii fat 32 drive from the wii u so it doesn't ask you to format everytime you turn the console on.

Reactions: Jarmenti

racertj5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically then if you want to use Wii u, Wii and GameCube then you need 3 separate devices for the games?
You can put wii and gamecube on the same drive you just can't keep it plugged in at the same time as the wii u drive when playing gamecube games

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can put wii and gamecube on the same drive you just can't keep it plugged in at the same time as the wii u drive when playing gamecube games

But if I had Wii and gamecube games on a single SD Card and Wii U games on a USB hard drive that would be fine, as in I wouldnt have to disconnect anything at any time?

racertj5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if I had Wii and gamecube games on a single SD Card and Wii U games on a USB hard drive that would be fine, as in I wouldnt have to disconnect anything at any time?
Should be fine but I wonder how well wii games would run off SD. And you would need a loader with SD support

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wii games on SD doesn't work with USBLoaderGX, but should work with Wiiflow and CFGLoader.
Wii game on SD doesn't work with d2x v10-alt (r53), you need r52.
some game might not work from SD. (it triggers an antipiracy check)

Just buy an hard drive! format it to FAT32, hide it with Ustealth. use it for Wii and gamecube. (don't need SD for gamecube)
plug only one drive at a time.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: cvskid

pBullet

SHSL Idol
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it matters... this is my setup:

Wii U side:
- 500GB HDD plugged into the two ports on the front with a Y cable.

Wii side:
- 500GB HDD plugged into the two ports on the back with a Y cable. Using UStealth to hide from Wii U.
- HDD is split into two partitions. Partition 1 is FAT32 with GCN games. Partition 2 is NTFS with Wii games.
- vWii is using d2x cIOS 249 base 58 (port 0 and port 1 compatibility)
- vWii is using WiiFlow Lite to load games. Wii game partition is set to 2 and GCN is set to 1.
- vWii is using Nintendont to load GCN games.

Using this setup I haven't run into any problems and I don't need to unplug anything. The only problem is that while GCN games can be loaded and played, you must use a Classic Controller plugged into the Wiimote or make use of either a USB HUB or a self-powered HDD that doesn't need two ports.

racertj5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it matters... this is my setup:

Wii U side:
- 500GB HDD plugged into the two ports on the front with a Y cable.

Wii side:
- 500GB HDD plugged into the two ports on the back with a Y cable. Using UStealth to hide from Wii U.
- HDD is split into two partitions. Partition 1 is FAT32 with GCN games. Partition 2 is NTFS with Wii games.
- vWii is using d2x cIOS 249 base 58 (port 0 and port 1 compatibility)
- vWii is using WiiFlow Lite to load games. Wii game partition is set to 2 and GCN is set to 1.
- vWii is using Nintendont to load GCN games.

Using this setup I haven't run into any problems and I don't need to unplug anything. The only problem is that while GCN games can be loaded and played, you must use a Classic Controller plugged into the Wiimote or make use of either a USB HUB or a self-powered HDD that doesn't need two ports.
I've thought about a similar setup but didn't want to lose the gamecube adapter. And powered hard drives / plugging the y cable into the wall means I'd have to manually power them down anyway

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you could try to use a HUB for the additional power for Y-cable.
the HUB would power both WiiU and vWii drive's Y cable. I don't know if it will split the power, but maybe you don't need a full 1A for each drives?
if the drive doesn't work with 500mA, but works with 750mA, maybe that's good ! you get a free USB port for your gamecube adapter. or a mix with one hdd + adapter on the hub, one hdd without hub, if it works.
can't tell if it will work, but at least if it does the power will be OFF automatically when you shutdown the console.

Last edited by Cyan,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought someone made a version of mocha cfw that allows using non wii u formatted storage on wii, i remember using it to play Bomberman Nintendo ds injection with a 1GB mp3 player i had laying around.

Of course it worked, but I never tried anything larger since it was only a test.:unsure:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, there is a beta version of Mocha which work with FAT32 (from Dimok himself), but I didn't want to mention it here as it's not a good working setup.
It's hard to use, require a lot of user's input.

You need 1 WiiU drive as source
You need to copy folders to your computer using WUP server or ftpiiu, then copy to a FAT32 HDD
if the FAT32 HDD contains the required folder, the WiiU will mount that folder as if it was a real WiiU HDD.
If you want to install a WiiU game, you can't use WUP installer to install to that FAT32 mounted folder, you need to install to the console and then move your game to HDD. (I think you can use the internal data moving feature)

The WiiU FAT32 HDD will be treated as SD card. (it's a bug)
you can't access SD card anymore, you need to put a copy of your homebrew on the HDD (in wiiu/apps/ etc.) like you would do it on your SD card, as the SD will be unusable AFTER you launch mocha from SD.
It can be used to use HDD FAT32 for Loadiine (loadiine will think it mount the SD, but it will really mount the HDD instead), but it's not faster but even slower than using SD card.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: cvskid

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There is something I didn't test, but should work.
1.- Install ALL the wiiu titles you want on one HDD/USB.
2.- Use wfsuse on linux or linux VM and backup wiiu USB formated into a random folder.
3.- Format your USB into fat32 (or get another drive).
4.- Move your backup into your fat32 USB formated.
5.- Move your homebrews/roms/vwii stuff into the same drive.
6.- Put Mocha fat32 build and the HBL into your SD.
7.- Profit...

I need another USB to test, so I cannot do it on my own atm.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that will work, as long as you have the ticket installed on WiiU NAND.
you can dump your drive with whatever works for you (linux, WUP server or ftpiiu)

the current issue with the beta is that you can't install a game using wup installer directly to the FAT32 (because FAT32 library doesn't understand file's rights and quota)

Last edited by Cyan,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1