Do Wiimotes become less accurate as they age?

datapagan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Or were they always this janky? I am saying this because I've had order newer Wiimotes from eBay with the inbuilt motion plus, I have 4 standard ones with motion plus dongles but I swear that they don't hold their accuracy and calibration that well.

Do the sensors inside Wiimote wear out with time?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or were they always this janky? I am saying this because I've had order newer Wiimotes from eBay with the inbuilt motion plus, I have 4 standard ones with motion plus dongles but I swear that they don't hold their accuracy and calibration that well.

Make sure they r official wiimotes the clones out there r so damn good u can't tell from outside the case

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The LEDs on the sensor bar might dim with time (LEDs tend to) and such a thing might see something happen.

Also be sure to wipe the burger grease off the camera in the front, though a blur effect making a weak soften is probably not the worst. Similarly if you have stopped being a greasy teenager in a dark room and instead sunlight keep the curtains open type then that could have a similar effect.

Either way it is not a noted phenomenon or a predicted one.

Reactions: jeannotte

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
. Similarly if you have stopped being a greasy teenager in a dark room and instead sunlight keep the curtains open type then that could have a similar effect.
too much brightness, can cause the capture of the wiimote to deviate towards the sensor bar.

This happened to me when I was playing, so I had to lower the blind to get some shade, and the problem was solved.

Reactions: Tarmfot

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Many wii ppl use rechargeable AA's batteries, that are @ 1.2v.
The non-rechargeable (throw-away) batteries are @ 1.5v.
The 0.3v difference on the original wiimotes (with or without Motion+) is always a better outcome.
Wiimote clones (with or without Motion+) is guess-work. Most of the time they work flawlessly, but not in every case.
Try normal AA's @ 1.5v. See how you go.
And always treat your wiimotes with respect. They last longer ;)
Post automatically merged:

too much brightness, can cause the capture of the wiimote to deviate towards the sensor bar.

This happened to me when I was playing, so I had to lower the blind to get some shade, and the problem was solved.
Wow !!
The northern hemisphere must have some weird UV rays :)
Never an issue in Au. At least, not yet. Not having a go - We live in a strange world :)

Last edited by morning_glory,

zebragreen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There is an option in the Wii system menu settings to adjust Sensor Bar Sensitivity.

If there's too much light, you can lower the sensor bar sensitivity and your controller will be less jerky, no need to lower the blinds.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No?
Have had mine since July 16 2008 and it hasn't failed me once?

I'm not making this up, but one day found my WiiMote in my dog's water bowl, pretty sure it spent over a day in there, and still hasn't failed.

As a matter of fact, I've feed 5V to my WiiMote, and although it was showing signs of damage, still hasn't failed me.

Note: Yes, I still have my Wii's boucher from the store I got it.

Last edited by JuanMena,

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Wiimotes were always extremely inaccurate.

This, they were never on par with lightguns but they were close enough for it to not matter for the majority of people. It's a low res camera fixed on a pair of lights, it was a crude solution that was never going to work for accurate lightgun games but was more than adequate for motion games which is what Nintendo wanted to make anyways. It just so happened that they also worked for lightgun games (as long as you had a cursor on screen)

Trophies
XP

Straight answer: No.
This could be due to your curtain or you have a weird sensor bar. I've had 3 Wii Remotes since 2011 [one white one from 2018, second hand] and NONE have failed.

..Maybe it's cause I use a battery pack, dunno.

djDougs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
think they are good for eternity, unless you leave old batterys in them, then green gunge on the four contact points.

I've had 2 since 2010, still work perfectly 🥳

nothing to do with normal 3v V rechargeable 2.6v batterys 👍

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: rofl Psi :tpi::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: