Do you know a forum for me?

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Well, I somehow felt the urge to write a novel, I've got ideas floating in my mind for half a year, and now I wnt to start writing than letting it pile up in my brain. However, I can't seem to find a good place for me to start.

What do I mean? Basically, I want to put my writing in a forum and ask the members whether is the concept good or not. The base is Japanese, while the languange is English, that's why I can't put it in an Indonesian forum

Also, indonesian forums (the large ones) are disorganized, it's kinda hard to tell where you should go to as a beginner, which confuses me a lot, as smaller communities got tidy forums, imagine GBATemp with ads everywhere instead of portals in the homepage, with things like NDS, PSP, Wii, and Off-topic as the only sub-forums, messy, too general, and is not newbie-friendly

Why in English? Am I not an Indonesian? Easy, formal English, believe it or not, is used in normal life, around 85% of it, there might be dialects, but 85% of spoken English in normal life is formal English, that's why using English everywhere is as good as anywhere. However, in Indonesia, Indonesian is too formal and it hurts to keep speaking in it. It fels like you're too strange, too political, too formal, and is in upper-class society, where formality is needed to survive.

An example in English would be this: in America and England, both nobles and commoners use the same word "No". However, in Indonesia, using "No" is too formal, we commoners prefer to use "Nah", even when we're talking to an expert or our parents (if you want a more precise example, the equivalent form for "No" is "tidak", and for "Nah", is "nggak")

I hope to find a community like GBATemp for writers, with building critics, not trolls, but I can't seem to find any, I can only find communities that share infos about novels, not sharing their own writings

Do any of you got a suggestion for me?

moozxy

hamboning
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry I don't know any sites but maybe you ought to work on your grammar first before starting writing? I don't have the best eye for spotting bad grammar but I always notice a few in your posts and I'm sure writers should have a much higher standard than I do..
I'm not perfect either but then I'm not the one who wants to write a novel..

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
In actuality I don't want to write a novel that will be published or something, it's kinda just for fun, just for hobby, and to let my mind free from those ideas. Yes, I know from the very beginning my grammar is NOT perfect. I can't even tell you the tenses completely. All this time my method of learning English is by memorizing things from literatures, each of my sentences is written in the way I remember, and is confirmed only by my instinct.

I learned how to use "should", "would" and stuff, all from reading and memorizing sentences that included those words in it. That's why my English score is never higher than 9.5, but is never lower than 8.5 too. I can write and speak English in the way that other English speaker and writer understands, but when somebody asked me about the structure, I'm blank. It's kinda like learning judo just by watching, but was never taught how to do it correctly. It might work, but the result won't be the same

That said, I'm feeling okay with my grammar, what I need is the critics about the story and concept of my would-be-novel, I can always edit my grammar myself-with some help from books-but confirming my ideas is not possible alone, and my friends won't understand what I write, asking them about it is out of question...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/71-year-old-arrested-after-lapd-finds-nearly-3000-boxes-o...