• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you think the internet ruined or improved socialization between people who play video games?

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is slightly off topic,
I just wanted to say that online made me realized that I was actually the worst player out there, because when the family and I played back in the days, like the N64 days, we all played together and I was the best player of them all, even if I didn't occasionally win at times. Also around my relative, I was very good at playing games. Which lead me to believe I was a very good player, perhaps the best there was.
Also I did like playing co-op mode in Mario Kart Double dash, man you could punch the neighboring Kart drivers and make them spin out. To bad something like that isn't available online.
Now... we rarely play games together anymore :sad:.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Actually it's the mirror opposite for me.
I and me brother are frequently 100%ing games.
We don't play on one console no.

He plays on his own 360 on his own telly and I bring a small telly + me RGH.
Together we're on his couch playing the same game.

nfb6AEf.jpg

It's an oldie pic from ~dec last year?
100%ing RDR together.

We're both no fans of multiplayer.
Co-op we do but we syslink the consoles or we go into private servers.
But that's incredibly rare.

fucking system link lobbies lmaoo, good times

i've been using the internet and computers since i literally can remember, at first it improved socialization, now it seems that socializing is kinda dead,

you can't jump on consoles nowadays and literally get a whole 18 person lobby raging and shit talking trololol

not like it used to be playing 360, ps2,etc

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I think it's akin to a prostitute.

Gets the job done, provides a placebo for interaction without any of the healthy mental aspects.

On a sidenote I think the coordination and reflex aspects are gone from modern gaming to, Grandpa's video games had this concept called "game over" most modern games you can continually play through without improving.

Last edited by jimbo13,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Local co-op all the way. it's really the only way to do it, unless you're playing private servers with friends only, or can remove the silly people.

online co-op was a pipe dream for me, living on bad dial-up in the early 2000s. I wouldn't get proper internet until university. First time trying online co-op resulted in a left-4-dead where my teamates were killing each other/me and screaming their heads off. definitely set my expectations of what online matches are like. I'll play matches online occasionally, but avoid chat like the plague. because it is. After hearing some of the incredibly racist and sexist things when i try and dip my toes in again, no way am I going to interact with that on a regular basis. bunch of edgelord 12 year olds who don't understand the horrific things they're saying, just like they're getting attention and "fitting in".

So no. no, i don't think online is a good way to improve socialization.

but my experiences aren't everyones, so hopefully mine is a rarer experience and I just have terrible luck.
The internet started in 1982, although the world wide web only became public available in 1991 (after being designed in 1989).

People think of the internet as youtube/facebook/etc but they are only content.
remember google video? remember 4-lane? how does a polar bear know what apples is?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
remember google video? remember 4-lane? how does a polar bear know what apples is?

I have a vague recollection about google video, it didn't last long. Never heard of 4-lane.
I don't know how polar bears conceptualize anything as I'm neither a polar bear or can communicate with one.

Remember altavista?

I'm not aware of any method that polar bears use for documenting their history, but we do & I kinda wonder why they don't teach internet history in schools.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also