PS1/2 Does dvd burn speed affect how the disc is read?

zidanej

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always thought that the burn speed such as 4x or 16x just determined how fast the dvd is burned. However, one of my friends has said he has had some problems with his ps2 in terms of DRE's and such and he attributes it to the fact that he burns his dvd's at 12-16x. Does the DVD burn speed really make a difference as to how the dvd is read on a ps2? I was under the impression that burning dvd's at 4x or so was just so that errors on the disc would be minimized. Should I start burning dvd's at lower speeds?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
The faster you burn, the less accurate the "holes" your burner makes on the DVD media are.
In other words, if you burn at a very high speed, then it will be harder for any drive to read your DVD.

The PS2 seems to have a low quality optical drive... well it's meant to read optical discs burnt with high precision.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think it would hurt burning games at a low speed. I used to have tons of problem trying to burn my PSX games at 25X until someone mentioned burning it slow. At the end of the day, are you really trying to save a measly few minutes on burning a disc?

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
agreed. I think 2X seems to be the sweet spot. takes a while longer but has a much higher rate of compatability. I have more success with iso burns to DVD, DVD movies and even PS2 games with around 2X

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First and foremost a bit of decent media and a nice burner and software for it go a long way, far more so than simply dropping the speed.
This being said speed can affect things although the effects are somewhat overhyped, although if you are dealing with junk readers aka the PS2 a more mellow burning speed is good.
I would strongly advise against burning faster than the disc is rated though.

For a nice guide to media might I suggest:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/index.htm
If you feel so inclined the site above also has a nice bit on the more technical side of things:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/advancedconcepts.htm

Oh an my favourite burning software at this time is imgburn (it also has iso creation and other burning options nowadays):
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ImgBurn.htm

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used to burn everything as fast as I could, but now after having some CDs and DVDs stop reading, I burn everything at the lowest speed possible.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The PS2 will have problems reading at 8X though
frown.gif

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First and foremost a bit of decent media and a nice burner and software for it go a long way, far more so than simply dropping the speed.
This being said speed can affect things although the effects are somewhat overhyped, although if you are dealing with junk readers aka the PS2 a more mellow burning speed is good.
I would strongly advise against burning faster than the disc is rated though. ..
.. Oh an my favourite burning software at this time is imgburn (it also has iso creation and other burning options nowadays):
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ImgBurn.htm

I completely agree with this. Burning at slower speeds used to be one of things that was "almost always a good idea" but has now become much more of a "sometimes a good idea".
This is certainly true if burning with a decent burner with good (usually just means up to date) firmware, and using good quality blank media.
My BENQ DW1640 plus some TAIYO YUDEN DVD+R media will burn at full speed 16X and read in anything I try it in.

**edit**
I meant to mention that I too think imgburn is the bomb for ISO burning. I use it for all my PS2/XBOX/GCN ISO burning.
The PS2 will have problems reading at 8X though
frown.gif
Some PS2s can't read burned media as well as others and in some cases burning slower can help them read. My mates sketchy old SCPH-30002 PS2 won't read a thing he burns on his old liteon DVDR with his Verbatim brand (cmc recording layer) DVDs at any speed. My TY discs burned at 16X read fine on it though and so do his Verbatims burned at 8X (their max rated speed).

What I'm saying is that burn speed is definatly not the deciding factor in the quality of a discs burn. It MAY make a noticable difference depending on your equiptment though.
IMHO if you plan to do much burning then you should make sure you have a good quality burner and good quality media.

Check out the CDFreaks.com forums for some great info on what burner/firmware is good to use and also media recomendations.

zidanej

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try burning at lower speeds to see what that'll do. One more question though, is there a minimum burning rate? Because for my dvd burner, the lowest I can seem to burn is 6x. Is there a way to make the burn speed lower or is that the lowest that it will go?

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with 2x being the optimal speed that has worked for me.

An interesting point is sometimes burning too slow is bad for the image as well.

I've had a few problems with a few games burned at 1x. They worked fine at 2x.

zidanej

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regarding my previous post, I just wanted to ask again whether anyone knows if it is possible to uncap the minimum speed that a dvd burns at? My burner only has the options of burning at 6x, 8x, 12x, and 16x.

tetsuya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Regarding my previous post, I just wanted to ask again whether anyone knows if it is possible to uncap the minimum speed that a dvd burns at? My burner only has the options of burning at 6x, 8x, 12x, and 16x.
You might be able to if you change the firmware of your burner. Thats a maybe though.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I would say you could change your firmware to a hacked version as well. You won't be able to get speeds over 16x though. What the hacked firmware will do on some x8 discs it will allow you to burn at x16. I don't like using hacked firmware as it usually kills your dvd writer quicker.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In my experience hacked firmware usually is to make an all region drive, granted some occasionally add +/- capability or unlock higher speeds.

Probably the best site for DVD firmware hacks is http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php , if you have a laptop then I would not advise much hope.

As for killing the drive quicker it can happen especially for new/unoptimised hacks and if you try and get more out of it than you put in although for most the extra capabilities is worth more than the few months it may kill (2 and half years versus 3 sort of thing and anyone who knows optical drives will tell you 2.5 years is not bad). To compare to FlashMe is not a good comparisson as flashme merely redirects a few things and omits some others, firmware hacks of drives make them work over their design (for the most part, sometimes firmware hackers get impatient and add support for the manufacturers).

All this being said (and maybe region free aside) a decent bit of media (I gave links in an earlier post on this thread) often goes further than a lower burning speed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy