Emulation Does the EZ Flash 3 in 1 support GB/GBC roms?

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered an R4 and I found that GB/GBC Emulation on Slot-1 stuff is very hit-or-miss. Therefore I'd like to have the EZ be my R4 companion, but only if it will be able to run GB/GBC roms. Can someone clear this up for me?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The DS does not have any GB/GBC capability built in, so emulators are your only choice.

If you get the 3-in-1 (or some other GBA capable cart) you'll be able to use Goomba and Goomba Color, which are much more mature emulators than Lameboy. It's still going to be hit and miss with Goomba, but less so.

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright. And the latest version of Goomba is on that site? Also, Do I put the emulator right on the EX Flash when I get it, and put the roms on my R4 and then they work together? I'm still unsure how it all works.

Dunny

Trophies
XP
Country
Alright. And the latest version of Goomba is on that site? Also, Do I put the emulator right on the EX Flash when I get it, and put the roms on my R4 and then they work together? I'm still unsure how it all works.

Unless it's significantly changed since I last built a Goomba image, what you do is run the supplied executable on your PC, which will allow you to choose GB/GBC ROM images for the emulator. When you're done, finish the process and the app will spit out a largish (Depending on the amount of ROMs you chose) .gba file. Copy that to your R4's GBA directory, and launch it as a GBA ROM.

There's no need to store individual GB/GBC ROM images onj your R4, just the Goomba .gba file.

D.

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, thanks. So I guess getting that EZ Flash is a good idea then as a companion to my R4...the linkage between the two is good, right?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright. And the latest version of Goomba is on that site?
No, the Goomba site is not current. You can get the latest version of Goomba here: http://www.ndsretro.com/gbadown.html

You can get the latest test build of Goomba Color here: http://www.dwedit.org/dwedit_board/viewtopic.php?pid=1740

So I guess getting that EZ Flash is a good idea then as a companion to my R4...the linkage between the two is good, right?
Yes, GBA linkage works. The only problem is with DS games that read the save from the GBA game (currently only Pokemon Diamond & Pearl do this), the DS game will have to be patched for that to work.

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so all those emulators on that page should work with the EZ Flash? I put the .gba files on my R4 and the EZ reads them, correct?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DS mode emulators that use DLDI do not need the roms packed into the .nds file, they can read the files from the memory card.

All GBA mode emulators, and all DS mode emulators that do not support DLDI need to have the roms packed into the emulator file, as they cannot read the filesystem on the R4.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
Get Lameboy for your R4 or any Slot-1 for that matter. Its up to 0.8 and it has pretty much everything,sound,colour,no slowdown,speed up game play,etc. All it needs is RTC(which probably wont happen
frown.gif
)

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's RTC?

And also, about DLDI. Doesn't R4 automatically have that built in? So I won't need to "patch" anything?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What's RTC?
Real time clock.

QUOTE said:
And also, about DLDI. Doesn't R4 automatically have that built in? So I won't need to "patch" anything?
That's correct. The reason I mentioned it is that any emulator or other homebrew software that does not use DLDI has no way to read files from or write files to the R4, and will therefore need the roms packed into the emulator file.

QUOTE(outphase @ Jul 5 2007, 01:21 PM)Did GB games use the RTC?
I think some of the Pokeyman games used it. The guy that's developing Lameboy said RTC support would be in the next release.

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, I read something that indicated that you have to do something special to make save games work on an EZ. What do I have to do?

GammaGulp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so when I get my R4 & EZ Flash V what should I do first, step by step? What should I drag and drop into my SD Card first?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gay history is serious +1