Gaming Does Youtube app run faster on N3DS XL?

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
The Youtube app on 3DS is terribly slow.

Does it run faster on N3DS XL, with the extra RAM or whatever it has.

Thanks.
Imagine a skater running over a spider.
That's pretty much how dominant the n3ds browser is over it's predecessor.
It's probably the most improved part of the system besides the 3d.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm pretty sure the YT app is just a clone or a wrapper of the original browser, so it may or may not work better depending on how dependant it is on the pre-installed browser. I'll have to compare the two, it never crossed my mind since YT on the 3DS is pretty poopie to be honest - that screen is just not made for HD and that's a big no-no.

MidLevelCrisis

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You dont need the youtube app anymore, the internet browser now has no problem playing video, and you can actually view 3d videos in 3d on youtube now. (something I always found weird the youtube app couldn't do) just adjust the diplay options for L/R display. I have to agree the display is still not fantastic, but the browser finally became usefull, especially since it does not close your running software.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You dont need the youtube app anymore, the internet browser now has no problem playing video, and you can actually view 3d videos in 3d on youtube now. (something I always found weird the youtube app couldn't do) just adjust the diplay options for L/R display. I have to agree the display is still not fantastic, but the browser finally became usefull, especially since it does not close your running software.
Seeing that the N3DS has next to no RAM you still won't do a lot of multitasking anyways. Don't count on looking up videos with a game in the background or anything like that. ;)

MidLevelCrisis

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Seeing that the N3DS has next to no RAM you still won't do a lot of multitasking anyways. Don't count on looking up videos with a game in the background or anything like that. ;)
soooo, why am I able to watch a 24 minute gaki no tsukai video while MH4U is suspended in the background?

I dont know much about the technical side of the 3DS, but I'm sure it uses some weird work arounds to keep things running as best as it can. Even the N3DS has trouble loading very long pages, even though it streams them as you scroll it seems, loading out part you are not viewing. it will only load the top of the kiranico MH4U database when looking up items for example. yet unlike the old 3ds you can open the browser without it forcing you to close Smash bros or MH4U, and look up a video, works with xenoblade also.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
soooo, why am I able to watch a 24 minute gaki no tsukai video while MH4U is suspended in the background?

I dont know much about the technical side of the 3DS, but I'm sure it uses some weird work arounds to keep things running as best as it can. Even the N3DS has trouble loading very long pages, even though it streams them as you scroll it seems, loading out part you are not viewing. it will only load the top of the kiranico MH4U database when looking up items for example. yet unlike the old 3ds you can open the browser without it forcing you to close Smash bros or MH4U, and look up a video, works with xenoblade also.
Not all 3DS games do that, just those which resort to using additional resources. The N3DS is a bit better at handling this sort of thing, but most streaming pages will still error out.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Is the wifi better in general?

On my O3DS smash was a literal slideshow. Unplayable.

On N3DS its relatively smooth now.

I was wondering if its an improvement due to the hardware or maybe Nintendo just improved the online through game updates.

D

Deleted User

The Youtube app is exactly the same. Curiously, the video quality is the same as the old 3ds BUT if you watch youtube videos through the new browser it is much better quality, 480p I think which looks perfectly fine on the low res screen. So yeah, Youtube app is trash on N3DS just watch through the browser.

On a side note, its still a pretty crap browser. Its honestly pretty similar to the old one, only difference is it can play videos (even then, only videos that are HTML5 compatible so basically only .mp4). I still get millions of "Page could not be displayed" errors from basic stuff like blogs and news sites and theres a ton of pictures it wont let me view in full screen for seemingly no reason.

SammyPoke

Trophies
XP
Country
It is but not by that much, as OP said in the second comment, why use your N3DS when your phone gives a better response and resolution + you don't have to disrupt gameplay.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 📚 🗒️ ✏️ 🤓 +1