Dolphin emulator gets a UWP port for Xbox Series S/X

1674500832763.png

The famous Gamecube and Wii emulator, Dolphin, has been updated to run as a UWP (Universal Windows Platform) application, which makes it compatible with the Xbox Series S/X console (and even Xbox One consoles, but to a lesser compatibility and performance degree). The developers of Dolphin have previously worked on a beta release (v1.0.0), which added UWP support to the emulator to run on Xbox Series consoles, and as of December, 2022, the emulator now has a stable release in UWP format.

Previously, the only methods of running Dolphin on an Xbox Series console was to either install an unofficial UWP port of the emulator into the console (which is shady on its own to the app not being the officially coded one by Dolphin's devs), or go the RetroArch route and get Dolphin as a core for it, and while using RA with the Dolphin core was a good way to cover any Gamecube/Wii needs on Xbox Series consoles, the core itself is greatly lagging behind in terms of features and updated versions of the standalone Dolphin emulator. With the UWP port, users can now have all the perks, updates and features of the latest Dolphin emulator in their Xbox Series consoles.

For those interested, the UWP version of the emulator is available in SirMangler's Dolphin fork GitHub page under the "Releases" tab,, with the official Dolphin repository finishing the last touchups on a Pull Request for the eventual merge of the UWP port. The latest UWP update having the following changelog:

Changelog said:
  • New ingame setting menu! Press Left Stick + View to access!
  • Ability to change the dolphin settings folder, from within the in-game menu.
  • Added a few missing file formats to the picker, including elf, wad and json.
  • Minor improvements and changes.

:arrow: Source

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always marveled at the work ethic of the Dolphin emu dev team and how they've been able to port their emu on so many different platforms. Have you seen the performance their emu is able to attain on M1 Macs? That to me ranks their team as a top 10 MVP in the emulator space.

Reactions: 64bitmodels

FFTW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How exactly do we install it? I have a retail Xbox One X. Hope it makes use of the extra power in the One X and not treat it like a regular one.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, but this is a FYI. I didn't know about it myself.

Thank you. This is precisely why I tend to bring up to the front certain tidbits of information even if it's been out for days, it's not because of how recent some news are, but rather so that information like this is noticed by more people who could have been unaware of it and could be interested in it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. This is precisely why I tend to bring up to the front certain tidbits of information even if it's been out for days, it's not because of how recent some news are, but rather so that information like this is noticed by more people who could have been unaware of it and could be interested in it.
I also found Retroarch is updated on retail. Found that out on gamr's discord server, just installed it.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
Won't Nintendo get a bit pissy since people can play their (old) games on a rival's device line?

People have been doing this for pretty much the last 20 years on the OG Xbox.

Nothing Nintendo can really do as the emulators have been developed without using / looking at Nintendo's own code.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
People have been doing this for pretty much the last 20 years on the OG Xbox.

Nothing Nintendo can really do as the emulators have been developed without using / looking at Nintendo's own code.
Yeah and at this point they've got bigger fish to fry with Switch emulation, not that there's anything they can do about that either, besides take down videos featuring first-party games.

CloudStrife190100

HaxCommunity
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've got this and retroarch on my retail series s system. But for some odd reason i have no controller input once the game has loaded using dolphin. Works great on retroarch mind 👌

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
I've got this and retroarch on my retail series s system. But for some odd reason i have no controller input once the game has loaded using dolphin. Works great on retroarch mind 👌
You need to configure the controller on the PC, then copy the settings over. MVG explains in this video if you watch though:

CloudStrife190100

HaxCommunity
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You need to configure the controller on the PC, then copy the settings over. MVG explains in this video if you watch though:

Ahhh that sucks. My pc has broken this morning so i can't do it sadly 😔

Just happened to find the xbox controller configuration settings using the discord group 👌

Last edited by CloudStrife190100,

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once I figure out this random scarlet sideloader error

I should be making a few retail mode listings for everyone here to use as well in case gamr13 has any more issues in the future with apps getting pulled

Reactions: FFTW

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c95QJXRKdIw&pp=ygUdcmFtYm8gMiBtaXNzaW9uIGFjY29tcGxpc2hlZCA%3D