Dolphin emulator gets a UWP port for Xbox Series S/X

1674500832763.png

The famous Gamecube and Wii emulator, Dolphin, has been updated to run as a UWP (Universal Windows Platform) application, which makes it compatible with the Xbox Series S/X console (and even Xbox One consoles, but to a lesser compatibility and performance degree). The developers of Dolphin have previously worked on a beta release (v1.0.0), which added UWP support to the emulator to run on Xbox Series consoles, and as of December, 2022, the emulator now has a stable release in UWP format.

Previously, the only methods of running Dolphin on an Xbox Series console was to either install an unofficial UWP port of the emulator into the console (which is shady on its own to the app not being the officially coded one by Dolphin's devs), or go the RetroArch route and get Dolphin as a core for it, and while using RA with the Dolphin core was a good way to cover any Gamecube/Wii needs on Xbox Series consoles, the core itself is greatly lagging behind in terms of features and updated versions of the standalone Dolphin emulator. With the UWP port, users can now have all the perks, updates and features of the latest Dolphin emulator in their Xbox Series consoles.

For those interested, the UWP version of the emulator is available in SirMangler's Dolphin fork GitHub page under the "Releases" tab,, with the official Dolphin repository finishing the last touchups on a Pull Request for the eventual merge of the UWP port. The latest UWP update having the following changelog:

Changelog said:
  • New ingame setting menu! Press Left Stick + View to access!
  • Ability to change the dolphin settings folder, from within the in-game menu.
  • Added a few missing file formats to the picker, including elf, wad and json.
  • Minor improvements and changes.

:arrow: Source

FFTW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once I figure out this random scarlet sideloader error

I should be making a few retail mode listings for everyone here to use as well in case gamr13 has any more issues in the future with apps getting pulled
that would be great, as (most likely due to regional restriction) their links don't load at all for me.

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes my question also!
I have 4 genuine wiimotes with motionplus and if this works better than a wii/wiiu ill probably buy a xbox just to do it!
Xbox doesn't have Bluetooth, so no. There might be some sort of adapter out there like a Wingman or some such business, but I'm not sure about that.
Post automatically merged:

How about a standalone Dreamcast emulator? Dreamcast games look as good as Gamecube games but Flycast is way less of a ram hog that Dolphin.
Has been out for a year?

Bu2d85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xbox doesn't have Bluetooth, so no. There might be some sort of adapter out there like a Wingman or some such business, but I'm not sure about that.

Has been out for a year?
I know I’m reaching here but any chance of it working with a dolphin bar? The bar is USB and the wii controllers connect to that.

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No clue, possibly redirects to a game with emulation configurations.
JSON files can also be used for Riivolution packages. I use that on my SteamDeck for MKW custom track packs to save storage space. Then I just need to store the unmodified Mario Kart Wii WBFS file once, plop a bunch of Riivolution packages onto the device for the different CT packs, then create a JSON file that specifies the base WBFS and the Riivolution package for each CT pack, and then the JSON file can be treated like a normal game, so any launchers like the Steam Deck UI don't need any special configuration for Riivolution packs.

misticknight1

Trophies
XP
Country
this is not working for me. ive set the config folder, copied over the config folder from the PC thats been set up with the same XBOX controller im using on my console to the USB stick and its still not working. is there anything i could possible be doing wrong it seems straightforward.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
this is not working for me. ive set the config folder, copied over the config folder from the PC thats been set up with the same XBOX controller im using on my console to the USB stick and its still not working. is there anything i could possible be doing wrong it seems straightforward.

Did you set USB permissions, friend?
I also think you USB drive needs to be formatted to NTFS.

On your usb go to...
Go to Advanced > Add > Select Principal > Advanced > Find Now > ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES > OK > Tick the Full Control box > OK > Tick Replace all child object permission entries box > OK

misticknight1

Trophies
XP
Country
Did you set USB permissions, friend?
I also think you USB drive needs to be formatted to NTFS.

On your usb go to...
Go to Advanced > Add > Select Principal > Advanced > Find Now > ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES > OK > Tick the Full Control box > OK > Tick Replace all child object permission entries box > OK
Yeh all that is fine I’ve been using emulation on my Xbox for a while mainly retroRch I just wanted to try this standalone emulator. The games launch fine it just doesn’t recognise the controller.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
JSON files can also be used for Riivolution packages. I use that on my SteamDeck for MKW custom track packs to save storage space. Then I just need to store the unmodified Mario Kart Wii WBFS file once, plop a bunch of Riivolution packages onto the device for the different CT packs, then create a JSON file that specifies the base WBFS and the Riivolution package for each CT pack, and then the JSON file can be treated like a normal game, so any launchers like the Steam Deck UI don't need any special configuration for Riivolution packs.
I'm really interested in that method of running Riivolution hacks directly without having to set it up on each boot.
Would you mind linking to a tutorial or something? I want to try out the Brawl Legacy hacks, as well as setting up my Other M Redux hack with this method.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...