DOSBox Running on Xbox One!

A YouTube video has surfaced showing DOSBox running on Xbox One via the Universal Windows Platform kit. The video and code was made by vcfan, and he admits it runs slowly but he hopes to improve it for fully functional usage.

In the video, he runs Windows 95, Duke Nukem 3D, and ZSNES.

He has plans to release sources for it in the future, and this may pave the way to other legitimate emulators running on the console with this method!

:arrow:Source

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how restrictive is the Universal Windows Platform in terms of sandboxing? I know iOS does not allow JIT unless you jailbreak, other than the usual restrictive limited access to other apps.

Reactions: Hiccup

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how restrictive is the Universal Windows Platform in terms of sandboxing? I know iOS does not allow JIT unless you jailbreak, other than the usual restrictive limited access to other apps.

the sandbox limits you to 1gb of ram (as of this writing) and lowered clocked speed of the processors. Basically like running a high end windows 10 phone.

With a little patience even dreamcast should be emulat-able at playable speeds.

Last edited by chartube12,

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Currently, the Pi 3 kills this, but cool none the less considering no hack was required!

For now home made apps can only access ~400mB of RAM it's planned to reach 1GB by the time it's released, I guess a few more optimizations will be brought along as well, I have my hopes high for emulators and old school open source games being brought to the xbox one, I hope someone will bring Marathon and DOOM :D

After all VLC said they'll bring VLC to the xbox one as well, so if VLC can work properly with 1GB of RAM, so will emulators and other cool stuffs...

Last edited by Idaho,

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neato!

Hopefully MS won't plug this ;/

That's the one thing I'm curious about. If this expands beyond just DOS games, then Microsoft almost literally does have "the one console" that most consumers will ever need. It removes the problem of consumers having to, continuously, hack their console for emulators and homebrew, and will be just as popular as the emulators are on smartphones.

Though, the one thing to note is that this does put Microsoft in an awkward position. Despite how people feel, emulators are still a legal grey area when it comes to consumer usage of them. So, once people start seeing widespread usage of games such as Sony's PS1 games or Nintendo's SNES titles officially played on the XB1 through the UWP, you can bet you're @$$ that Microsoft is going to have to do something about it, for better or for worse.

Also, I feel it should be mentioned that the reason this hasn't happened to the emulators on smartphones is because they're competing in a slight different market than the consoles, and even handhelds. The fact that this can now happen on an official console starts sending up red flags all over the place.

Last edited by Transdude1996,

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't think MS will allow this.
Seeing emulators are mostly, (99% of the time) associated with piracy.
Their main focus (well I still hope) is gaming.

Android is an entirely different market, they aren't focused on gaming mainly.

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't think MS will allow this.
Seeing emulators are mostly, (99% of the time) associated with piracy.

Perhaps that should change. Whether that means to tell the companies to shove it, or offer a better option that removes the partial need for piracy, a firm stance needs to be taken on part of the reason emulation even exists: to always keep all games remembered.

There's always going to be piracy, there's no stopping it. The only solution would be to provide consumers with a better option than piracy would provide.

Last edited by Transdude1996,
Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies
Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
That's the one thing I'm curious about. If this expands beyond just DOS games, then Microsoft almost literally does have "the one console" that most consumers will ever need. It removes the problem of consumers having to, continuously, hack their console for emulators and homebrew, and will be just as popular as the emulators are on smartphones.

Though, the one thing to note is that this does put Microsoft in an awkward position. Despite how people feel, emulators are still a legal grey area when it comes to consumer usage of them. So, once people start seeing widespread usage of games such as Sony's PS1 games or Nintendo's SNES titles officially played on the XB1 through the UWP, you can bet you're @$$ that Microsoft is going to have to do something about it, for better or for worse.

Also, I feel it should be mentioned that the reason this hasn't happened to the emulators on smartphones is because they're competing in a slight different market than the consoles, and even handhelds. The fact that this can now happen on an official console starts sending up red flags all over the place.

To clarify what you're saying, consoles are closed ecosystems. They're run by a single company, and that company has to make sure everything on their ecosystem adheres to copyright laws, or they risk getting huge backlash, whether it be lawsuits from other companies or simple public outcry.

Android phones and PCs are different because they're open ecosystems. Apple Macs also run on open ecosystems, and have emulators as well. Since they're open, the company behind the ecosystem isn't held accountable for things such as emulators, and so they don't allocate resources to their removal. Their basic status as open systems means the companies behind them don't have any access on what appears on their hardware and software. They're essentially just providing an empty shell for developers and consumers to fill with whatever they want.

A closed ecosystem can't do that. iPhones don't have emulators, why? Because they're closed ecosystems, tightly controlled by Apple. They can't have emulators, otherwise they'll face scrutiny, because it's their ecosystem and they're in control. They're expected to facilitate legal matters such as this, or face getting a legal slap themselves.

Hope you all liked that small little business lesson. It's for this reason that Microsoft can't allow emulators on their systems.

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
A YouTube video has surfaced showing DOSBox running on Xbox One via the Universal Windows Platform kit. The video and code was made by vcfan, and he admits it runs slowly but he hopes to improve it for fully functional usage.

In the video, he runs Windows 95, Duke Nukem 3D, and ZSNES.

He has plans to release sources for it in the future, and this may pave the way to other legitimate emulators running on the console with this method!

:arrow:Source

Imagine Windows XP, or even Windows 7!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +2