Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The final release of Firefox 6 has been seeded to Mozilla's FTP server and is available for download now.

It doesn't have any new major UI revamps but is said by Mozilla to be about 20% faster and have much less memory consumption. New developer tools are also available in this new revision such as real-time Javascript execution.

Mac OS X: link
Windows: link
Linux: link

My latest Aurora build idles on the Temp at about 89K while FF6 idles on the same page with the same addons at about 75K. Chrome 13 idles at about 24K.

icon11.gif
Source

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
No thanks, I'll just let Mozilla Fatfox stay in it's corner.

Google Chrome is just better for me.

your post could do without the fanboi.

i personally prefer firefox, its extensions are much more robust when compared to chrome's. a few other behaviors of chrome stop me from using it as well. HOWEVER, i don't care that other people prefer it.

not that firefox isn't without issue. the RAM thing is an annoyance on my laptop with ONLY 4 GB. this appears to cut that consumption down by about a half, and that's pretty good. chrome however, is not exactly frugal with RAM either, and people tend to forget that.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Narayan said:
when will 7 come.
unsure.gif
Technically every revision up till 8 is here currently here but they're in testing. Firefox beta is at revision 6 but it has now become the stable. Firefox Aurora is at revision 7 and Firefox Nightly is at revision 8. The farther away from the stable release, the more unstable the revision is. However, once this final release becomes official each of them should increase their revision number by one.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I stopped using Firefox ages ago, I gave it a spin again yesterday but I still didn't like it.

What's with them releasing new versions so quickly anyway?

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
prowler_ said:
I stopped using Firefox ages ago, I gave it a spin again yesterday but I still didn't like it.

What's with them releasing new versions so quickly anyway?
They're trying to be more like Chrome with faster minor updates instead of at all at once.

It's analogous to AKAIO and its fast loader updates instead of other firmwares which release fixes all at once.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
clegion said:
Eh ? Is this really the official version? not a source code built somebody on the net ? Since the firefox website is still showing firefox 5.0.1 instead of well firefox 6
The links direct to Mozilla's FTP server, it's legit. If you go to "About Firefox" it should say you're on the "release channel" which means it's their latest stable revision. It's not on the main HTTP site because they have a schedule to keep.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
clegion said:
Eh ? Is this really the official version? not a source code built somebody on the net ? Since the firefox website is still showing firefox 5.0.1 instead of well firefox 6

Kind of the same thing I was wondering. Now this release of FF 6 is calling itself final, but shouldn't it come up as an update in the FF updater if it was meant for public consumption?

But then again, I was running FF 5.0 and checked for updates (through help and about) and it didn't even mention 5.0.1, it just said that my 5.0 was "up to date". Now I just went to http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/ and updated to 5.0.1 (as that was what it offered) and it says THAT is now "up to date". It seems their update feature checked directly through FF is borked if it missed 5.0.1. I can probably understand that FF6 isn't coming up as an update yet because it's new, but still, why didn't it inform me about 5.0.1? And why did they stop having the little popup bubble in the corner come up to inform you of updates? Why does it make you manually check for that now?

Lot's of questions surrounding Firefox lately, eh?

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm on 7.0a2 with Aurora.
I only use Chrome when I need my browser right that second. Firefox does what I need, and hopefully with 7.0 Final it'll do it much quicker.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I used to use FF, but then it became really slow for me, then I switched to chrome.I like chrome, but I've tried FF6 Beta. Still too slow for me, as with FF5 Stable. Gonna give FF7 Aurora a spin, see if I might switch back again.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sweenish said:
Slyakin said:

i personally prefer firefox, its extensions are much more robust when compared to chrome's. a few other behaviors of chrome stop me from using it as well. HOWEVER, i don't care that other people prefer it.

not that firefox isn't without issue. the RAM thing is an annoyance on my laptop with ONLY 4 GB. this appears to cut that consumption down by about a half, and that's pretty good. chrome however, is not exactly frugal with RAM either, and people tend to forget that.
Uh, that wasn't fanboyish, he just stated a fact and simultaneously expressed his opinion.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
sweenish said:
Slyakin said:

Uh, that wasn't fanboyish, he just stated a fact and simultaneously expressed his opinion.
Well, it was a little fanboy-ish.

I just can't really like FF any more; I've grown accustomed to Google Chrome's speed of launch and interface.

Thanks for defending me though!
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow