DragonMMC - TriNAND, TriSD, Solderless Internal Payload Injector / Kickstand

DragonMMC replaces the stock MicroSD and NAND boards, and adds a slide switch to choose between up to 3 MicroSD cards/NAND modules. This slide switch protrudes slightly from the original MicroSD card slot, while a replacement kickstand houses 3 MicroSD card slots. Installation does not require soldering, but will require some disassembly of your Switch. All required tools will be included. Removal of the heat shield is currently required. Addons for the DMMC are planned, including fully internal Bluetooth audio streaming, and you can easily make your own thanks to the expansion connector and solderless USB passthrough. (Note that the DMMC itself has no USB capabilities and only passes the USB lines to the expansion connector.)

DragonMMC is modular, with 3 NAND module slots available. An adapter module for the OEM NAND is included. Extra NAND modules of 64GB and 256GB will be available on the web store. The modules are snap-in and do not require soldering. An MCU handles NAND module and MicroSD card detection, as well as safe switching. The slide switch can be moved at any time to change the desired NAND module and MicroSD card. A restart or power cycle of the console will be required to enact the changes. If the selected MicroSD slot or NAND module is empty, DragonMMC will look for the next populated slot and enable it instead.

DragonMMC will be based on the ESP32-PICO microcontroller. More info to come soon!

Last edited by MatinatorX,

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Wouldn't the switch overheat without the heatsink?
The heatsink plate doesn't really do much compared to the actual heatsink block and the heatpipe. In my testing, during heavy gaming I didn't see more than a 2 degree increase in SoC temperature versus having the heat shield installed. That said, I do not overclock my console.

In any case, I'm going to be looking at getting a custom heat shield made that still allows room for DragonMMC.

Reactions: lordelan

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
nintendo would come down on you like a tonne of bricks.
For what? We don't include, link to, provide instructions for or support any particular payload besides our chainloader, and this goes double for anything piracy related. You cannot commit piracy with any of my projects on their own, and we actively discourage piracy and restrict discussion of it within our circles. I buy the games I want to play and the software I want to use, and I think everyone should do the same. If you decide to use a certain CFW and certain tools that allow you to commit piracy, you need to find them on your own and learn how to use them yourself, and that's a choice you make on your own.

At it's core, DragonMMC is designed to let you expand the utility of your console by making it easier to run different environments like Android or Linux. The actual concept came about because I wanted to run Android on my console and became frustrated with all the steps involved and the performance loss from running off SD. Payload injection was actually an afterthought, and was added as a "why not" feature, since my choice of MCU already supported it.

EDIT: I should mention that a bunch of people I know who had gotten bored of their Switch have had their interest reinvigorated by the the thought of dead-simple Android dual-booting. Rekindled interest inevitably leads to more game or hardware sales for Ninty.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hope this works well, I might order for my 2 switches. Hopefully the NAND modules can really be replaced with SD cards. Hopefully 64gb SD cards are fast enough since some of my games run well only on NAND.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what? We don't include, link to, provide instructions for or support any particular payload besides our chainloader, and this goes double for anything piracy related. You cannot commit piracy with any of my projects on their own, and we actively discourage piracy and restrict discussion of it within our circles. I buy the games I want to play and the software I want to use, and I think everyone should do the same. If you decide to use a certain CFW and certain tools that allow you to commit piracy, you need to find them on your own and learn how to use them yourself, and that's a choice you make on your own.

At it's core, DragonMMC is designed to let you expand the utility of your console by making it easier to run different environments like Android or Linux. The actual concept came about because I wanted to run Android on my console and became frustrated with all the steps involved and the performance loss from running off SD. Payload injection was actually an afterthought, and was added as a "why not" feature, since my choice of MCU already supported it.

EDIT: I should mention that a bunch of people I know who had gotten bored of their Switch have had their interest reinvigorated by the the thought of dead-simple Android dual-booting. Rekindled interest inevitably leads to more game or hardware sales for Ninty.

Hey I read your article so I'm assuming this is only covering the patchable units right?

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I love people that think outside the box.

Great idea that I truly hope it succeeds. I also hope it is installable by a numb skull like me.

Reactions: MatinatorX

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive already broken the sd reader connector on two switches while trying to replace a broken reader but screw it, I'm trying this anyway

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Ive already broken the sd reader connector on two switches while trying to replace a broken reader but screw it, I'm trying this anyway
Sorry to hear that, the OEM reader is a pretty bad design. It's only held in by one screw and so twists the connector back and forth upon SD removal/insertion, eventually causing pins to break off.

If you have anyone locally that can do tiny repairs, I have the part number of that connector if you'd like it.

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that, the OEM reader is a pretty bad design. It's only held in by one screw and so twists the connector back and forth upon SD removal/insertion, eventually causing pins to break off.

If you have anyone locally that can do tiny repairs, I have the part number of that connector if you'd like it.
How much/ do you have a link?

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
How much/ do you have a link?
MOLEX 5042481610 is the part number for the motherboard side SD B2B connector. You can get 10 of them for about $10 on AliExpress.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

MOLEX 5042481610 is the part number for the motherboard side SD B2B connector. You can get 10 of them for about $10 on AliExpress.
Actually, it might be the MOLEX 5042081610. One of them is switch side and the other is SD side. Let me see if I can figure out which is which.

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Actually, it might be the MOLEX 5042081610. One of them is switch side and the other is SD side. Let me see if I can figure out which is which.
Got it, 5042081610 is the motherboard side.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox +1