Dreamcast USB Loader Coming Soon

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's a short-sighted bet if you ask me. Emulation is the Windows ME of retro-gaming. I wouldn't bet on it hanging around much longer, personally. Emulators were cool when I discovered them in 1996, but they just don't light my fire anymore. Super Road Blaster on a PC, yawn, cheap trick, PCs have relatively infinite resources compared to the SNES. Seeing it play on a real SNES, now, that was actually fun. Don't forget, for most people the priority is re-creating the original experience, not graphics hacks that won't even run on real hardware. Only "hard-core" PC gamers blindly sacrifice gameplay (not to mention their right to privacy) for graphics. Have a look at DICE, the only circuit-level-accurate emulator, and see how slow it is running even a game as simple as Pong. Emulation is at an impasse. FPGAs are the future. Only they can end the compromise, offering both circuit-level accuracy AND full speed. They can add extra resources to the reconstructed console too though. So, people who's thing is graphics hacks won't be left in the cold either. Not that I could recommend a device like the MiST at this time, because it's a bit too early in the game. Most of the cores still need a lot of work. That said, I may never play Pac-Man in MAME again (that's one damn good core).

FPGA enhanced emulation is still emulation, though I can certainly agree that when FPGAs get that little bit more beefy and can sit in my PCIe slot to be used by emulators as an alternative to the "that'll do" of pure software emulation that it will be a good day. I can appreciate some people wanting a pixel exact recreation, that is very much not me though if I can instead have a nicer experience. I would also very strongly argue otherwise on percentages wanting pixel exact, percentages wanting a game that plays more or less as it would have (probably the bulk -- see also all the emulation collections/wiiware/andrios "ports"....) and those that would like to what went originally and spice it up some.

Full enhancements, save perhaps stuff like the lua addons for some games, I can see not appealing so much for 16 bit/2d era stuff, early 3d so very much wants enhancements though -- even if they do not know the words to describe the things they are seeing most will tell me the N64/PS1/saturn games look like arse if they are versed in more modern 3d. I probably would not do it to the exclusion of a "go stock" mode but the lack of textures, quality textures, lack of AA, low framerates.... stuff that can all be reasonably fixed with simple to use emulators, I would hold to be a very serious part of any appeal these things can have though. Mind you I have no particular love for what a lot of people playing in the console texture hacking/replacement world are currently doing, though I fear that might be the half backwards way they set about a lot of things I would otherwise do in ROM hacking.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant to post about this. I think what I may do is recase my Dreamcast and an external 2Tb drive and just make a table top arcade cabinet out of one or something, who knows.... can't wait for this to release though!

shengoro86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BUMP:
Made a name here just to post this.
After a couple months of silence, StoneAgeGamer told me that they are still working on this product with the developer.
They will share an update when they have a formal one.
10154895_10202767045456491_5905170366061045322_n_zpst4ug0vog.jpg

Reactions: TwistedZeon

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
I still have my old dreamcast, but the games skip now which is the only reason why I don't really play it anymore. What do I need to get this to work? All I see on their website even resembling this is a USB controller adapter and that's just for using a Dreamcast controller on a PC.

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/dreamcast-to-usb-adapter.html

That's still good though. I wonder if a modern PC can now fully emulate all games and make use of genuine memory cards for mini games. I remember that NullDC never had controller support, but it's open source, so it seems like it should be possible. Although ripping would still be the problem. I guess the ideal situation would be to connect the dreamcast parts directly into a computer.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I need this in my life.
My Dreamcast is just sitting there collecting dust, not because I don't enjoy it, but because I don't want to kill my laser with CD's. This is something I need in my life.

D

Dork

I wish there was a way to USB load games while keeping optical drive functionality; I still have my a huge collection of legitimate dreamcast games that I don't want to render useless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.acepcs.com/products/wizbox-g-mini-pc-amd-r7-7735hs lol wizbox +1