Dreamcast via VGA on modern television set?

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, everybody...

Was in Walmart the other day, and bought this cable on a whim. It's been a long time since I've been able to hook up my Dreamcast since upgrading my TV to a 4K. Hadn't pulled the trigger on an HD solution for DC yet, as I haven't heard any positive reviews about the third party HDMI solutions made specifically for DC. I figured this simple HDMI converter would give me a native signal/resolution, and I'm fine with that. But now I have a problem.

I didn't realize that this thing uses USB 2.0 for an audio jack. As those in-the-know know, the DC's VGA box uses a 3.5mm audio jack for sound. So, now I need an adapter with female USB port to male AUX output. I see plenty of those on the net, but they're all specifically designed for vehicles and USB flash drives for MP3 files only. I cannot find a simple USB to AUX audio converter for the life of me. Could anyone point me in the right direction, or perhaps offer a more elegant solution that isn't prohibitively expensive?

Ideally, I'd like to keep it simple by just finding a compatible adapter.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20221021_164948400.jpg
    IMG_20221021_164948400.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 31

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, everybody...

Was in Walmart the other day, and bought this cable on a whim. It's been a long time since I've been able to hook up my Dreamcast since upgrading my TV to a 4K. Hadn't pulled the trigger on an HD solution for DC yet, as I haven't heard any positive reviews about the third party HDMI solutions made specifically for DC. I figured this simple HDMI converter would give me a native signal/resolution, and I'm fine with that. But now I have a problem.

I didn't realize that this thing uses USB 2.0 for an audio jack. As those in-the-know know, the DC's VGA box uses a 3.5mm audio jack for sound. So, now I need an adapter with female USB port to male AUX output. I see plenty of those on the net, but they're all specifically designed for vehicles and USB flash drives for MP3 files only. I cannot find a simple USB to AUX audio converter for the life of me. Could anyone point me in the right direction, or perhaps offer a more elegant solution that isn't prohibitively expensive?

Ideally, I'd like to keep it simple by just finding a compatible adapter.

Thanks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1137281392...lsHCbRhRRm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm. Yeah. That's a VGA box, man. I already have that. It uses AUX input for audio. I need a cable that converts the USB A audio cord that the VGA to HDMI adapter I just bought uses into the AUX input the VGA box has. Can't find a compatible cable. They all seem to be specifically for USB flash drives and mp3's.
https://a.co/d/8FroWIs

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of the Pound Cable. I thought I had kind of alluded to that in my OP... I haven't heard a great deal of positive things about it. Word is, it muddies the DC's native VGA resolution, as well as the colors. So, I would be more interested in the native VGA signal that this cable I've already purchased (on an impulse) could potentially bring to the table.

I am also aware of superior, versatile, clunky solutions such as the Framemeister and OSSC Converters, but those devices come at a premium, take up a lot of room, and make for a lot of clutter. So, I am more interested in this potentially slightly-less-cluttered solution at this particular moment.

The main problem is the audio cord solution.

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you. Yes, I'm aware of the Pound Cable. I thought I had kind of alluded to that in my OP... I haven't heard a great deal of positive things about it. Word is, it muddies the DC's native VGA resolution, as well as the colors. So, I would be more interested in the native VGA signal that this cable I've already purchased (on an impulse) could potentially bring to the table.

I am also aware of superior, versatile, clunky solutions such as the Framemeister and OSSC Converters, but those devices come at a premium, take up a lot of room, and make for a lot of clutter. So, I am more interested in this potentially slightly-less-cluttered solution at this particular moment.

The main problem is the audio cord solution.
The 2 solutions I posted all there really is that r less blocky and cheap

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
To be actually helpful instead of posting random links...:rolleyes:

You should return that and buy something else. That USB cable isn't just for audio, it also helps power the convertor in the box as well, so you'd lose out on powering the thing if you ever tried plugging it into those 3.5mm cables you see. The reason you're not finding any useful adapters is because you can't just convert USB audio to 3.5mm passively, it'd require a DAC in between as the signal USB audio produces is not the same signal that 3.5mm jacks use. There are some that exist, but not for your purpose and at the price-point they're at you might as well return what you bought and buy something else.

Reactions: Thee_Stranger

Shadow#1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be accidentally helpful inead or random bullshit.

you might as well return what you bought and buy something else.

That's all u have said in the entirety of it

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 2 solutions I posted all there really is that r less blocky and cheap
Well... the first solution wasn't really a solution at all, man. I have the VGA box already. I need a solution for adapting that VGA box's video and audio signal for a modern 4K TV. Your second solution was indeed a solution, and I do appreciate it. It's just that I was already aware of that particular solution, and from everything I hear, it's borderline subpar. And it would also... essentially require returning the existing cable I bought, and buying something else (the Pound Cable). Don't take offense. I do appreciate you trying to be helpful. I know you, and you've helped me with plenty of other shit in the past that I think you were probably just more knowledgeable of than this particular subject. But simply posting here brings more attention to it, and other people who might know a little more.

To be actually helpful instead of posting random links...:rolleyes:

You should return that and buy something else. That USB cable isn't just for audio, it also helps power the convertor in the box as well, so you'd lose out on powering the thing if you ever tried plugging it into those 3.5mm cables you see. The reason you're not finding any useful adapters is because you can't just convert USB audio to 3.5mm passively, it'd require a DAC in between as the signal USB audio produces is not the same signal that 3.5mm jacks use. There are some that exist, but not for your purpose and at the price-point they're at you might as well return what you bought and buy something else.
Ahh, well thank you. That  is very helpful. The box, as well as the little manual that comes with it says the USB is simply for audio, but clearly you know how this shit actually works. And that the fact that I simply can't seem to find the particular adapter cable I'd be looking for anywhere tells me that what you say is indeed likely the case. So, I think I'll probably just follow your advice and return this. Thanks, again.

The search continues...

Last edited by Thee_Stranger,

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may or may not help. Probably not, due to the DAC issues mentioned earlier, but I'll post it anyway.

Over 10 years ago I bought a set of portable battery-powered speakers, the X-Mini II system. The supplied cable had male Aux on one end to plug into your audio source, and two male mini-USB plugs on the other end (one for each of the stereo speakers). You would use the same cable to charge the speakers, as the male aux end was also split with a male full-size USB plug strictly for charging purposes, meaning that the the wire carries both power and audio. See the attached photo from Amazon to see what I mean (mine doesn't have the volume dial in the middle, otherwise identical).

It appears you need this in the reverse direction though, and I don't know if that can work even an additional adapter to go from male mini-USB to female full-size USB.

I can't find the original cables for sale anywhere anymore. Here are a couple links I found of places that may still have similar cables:

https://www.ebay.com/b/mini-usb-to-jack/bn_7024882078

https://www.carousell.sg/p/brand-ne...ni-usb-portable-speaker-audio-cable-60451530/

Attachments

• 61M693iYjkL._SL1024_.jpg
    61M693iYjkL._SL1024_.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 20

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may or may not help. Probably not, due to the DAC issues mentioned earlier, but I'll post it anyway.

Over 10 years ago I bought a set of portable battery-powered speakers, the X-Mini II system. The supplied cable had male Aux on one end to plug into your audio source, and two male mini-USB plugs on the other end (one for each of the stereo speakers). You would use the same cable to charge the speakers, as the male aux end was also split with a male full-size USB plug strictly for charging purposes, meaning that the the wire carries both power and audio. See the attached photo from Amazon to see what I mean (mine doesn't have the volume dial in the middle, otherwise identical).

It appears you need this in the reverse direction though, and I don't know if that can work even an additional adapter to go from male mini-USB to female full-size USB.

I can't find the original cables for sale anywhere anymore. Here are a couple links I found of places that may still have similar cables:

https://www.ebay.com/b/mini-usb-to-jack/bn_7024882078

https://www.carousell.sg/p/brand-ne...ni-usb-portable-speaker-audio-cable-60451530/
Yeah. It is interesting that cables like that did apparently exist at one point. xD But as you said, I would basically need the inverse of that cable... A male AUX to female USB converter. And as another user pointed out, the USB apparently would not only be responsible for the audio, but powering the cable as well. I'm sure such a cable that would suit my needs is theoretically possible to produce, but that particular function I'm in need of is quite... esoteric, which is probably why I can't find such a cable on the mass market. I'd probably need to contract some tech wizard for a custom cable or something. Still, I appreciate the input and taking the time.

i'd ask around the retrotink discord. they are turbo nerds when it comes to analogue gaming stuff.
Thanks, I'll definitely give that a shot.
I never actually got around to returning the cable yet, so.

Reactions: DanTheManMS

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
For all the money you'd spend on any device to do what you need, would it not be easier to get a budget soundbar for your TV? That was you could feed the audio output from the VGA box directly to the soundbar and forgot about trying to merge the signals altogether.

• Wow

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. It is interesting that cables like that did apparently exist at one point. xD But as you said, I would basically need the inverse of that cable... A male AUX to female USB converter. And as another user pointed out, the USB apparently would not only be responsible for the audio, but powering the cable as well. I'm sure such a cable that would suit my needs is theoretically possible to produce, but that particular function I'm in need of is quite... esoteric, which is probably why I can't find such a cable on the mass market. I'd probably need to contract some tech wizard for a custom cable or something. Still, I appreciate the input and taking the time.

You're welcome! I wish I had better advice to offer.

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all the money you'd spend on any device to do what you need, would it not be easier to get a budget soundbar for your TV? That was you could feed the audio output from the VGA box directly to the soundbar and forgot about trying to merge the signals altogether.
Didn't even occur to me, man. Think that might actually work. Think I may just do that. Thank you.

Reactions: Pleng

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps