Hardware dropped 3ds now screens flicker

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so my n3dsxl fell off a chair i thought nothing of it (it was not its first or even "greatest" fall) after all it was like 2-3 feet off the ground before falling but today when i powered it on i noticed my luma splash screen flickering again i thought nothing of it until my home menu booted up i was horrified to find that not only does the screen flickering continue but there is somehow a faint ghost image of my luma3ds splash screen overlaying the homemenu . . . i assumed it was a issue with the sd card not being properly inserted so i removed it and still got the same result . . . which is even more confusing because without the sd card there is no splash screen (yet i still got the flicker and ghost image) . . . anyone have any advice? @TurdPooCharger perhaps?

Last edited by wormdood,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try this for initial attempt at debugging.
  1. Remove the battery, hold the (Power) button for 30 seconds, press the button several times for good measures, and reinsert the battery.
    • Yes, this the same advice you found somewhat trivial many months ago... We're hoping for the off chance this is a software glitch, despite the fall.
  2. Without the SD card inserted and going by the assumption you have Luma3DS on the CTRNAND, turn on the n3DSXL and boot to Recovery Mode.
  3. Exit out and continue booting to GodMode9, Luma3DS configuration, HOME Menu, and DS(i) mode if you have a DS flashcart.
Report any continual screen anomaly or strange behavior/hangup. Take pictures for our assessment.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
As turbo said, remove the battery. There is nothing easier than that.
After that, try booting to a payload like godmode9 and check if the ghosting and flickering is still present. Try the same but without SD if you want/can.Report back.

Also, this can be hardware damage, so checking the display ribbon cables is always a good idea.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, this the same advice you found somewhat trivial many months ago... We're hoping for the off chance this is a software glitch, despite the fall.
you called it . . . the best trivial advice . . . (in case you cant tell you really called it, and im not being sarcastic right now its totally my favorite piece of trivial advice as it worked)

i was really worried it was hardware related . . . im really bad at that stuff

Last edited by wormdood,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you called it . . . the best trivial advice . . . (in case you cant tell you really called it, and im not being sarcastic right now its totally my favorite piece of trivial advice as it worked)

i was really worried it was hardware related . . . im really bad at that stuff
I'm glad the battery trick had a net positive effect, but you're not out of the woods yet. Because we can't account for the unknown, yours and @Kubas_inko's suspicion of hardware damage may still apply.

The followup.

4. Backup all your current saves + exdata with a save manager if you haven't.
  • You can never be too safe when it comes to personal data; Ms. Sinchen's signature says it best.
5. Run a hardware diagnostic with 3DSident-GUI.
  • Determine if there's anything amiss for basic I/O.
6. Stress test your n3DSXL with graphical intensive games.
  • Gotta put those ARM CPUs, PICA200 gpu, RAM, NAND, LCDs, and cart/SD readers through their paces.
7. Continue using the system as-is. Your concern of hardware malfunction will assuage over time.​

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: BETA215

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1