DS #2230: The World Ends With You (Europe)

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Szyslak said:
...By far the best game of the year at this point.

I'm inclined to agree. At least in terms of this game being a story telling device. The gameplay is really fun, and the way it allows the player to choose how to play, really makes this game a unique experience. But the story is...WOW! I really can't say I've played another game that has as fleshed-out a story as TWEWY -- console or otherwise.

I've read a lot of the most notable meta-physical books in my day -- from everything written by Hermann Hesse, to Carlos Castaneda -- and the story in this game actually rises to that level of value, in my opinion. The characters definitely act their age, but if you take it all in, there's something really, really special here.

Yeah, the battle system has some minor quibs, but other than that, TWEWY's damn near a masterpiece. Again though, as a story telling vehicle, this game goes where few others dare tread, and for that reason alone, it's worth anyone's time.

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
irpacynot said:
I've read a lot of the most notable meta-physical books in my day -- from everything written by Hermann Hesse, to Carlos Castaneda -- and the story in this game actually rises to that level of value, in my opinion. The characters definitely act their age, but if you take it all in, there's something really, really special here.
That's a really cool way of thinking about the story. I think I need to get through a bit more of the game to pass judgment on the story as a whole, but I'm really enjoying it so far. So many elements. So much depth. I just wish the speech bubbles were bigger. Seems like it takes a little too long to get through the dialogue.

Excellent review in the Temper Post btw. I would agree with a solid "9".

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And yes, little Johnny, you can use the Animal Crossing trick to up your PP for badges, just change the date in your DS to 7 days later and turn it back on. BAM ~250 more PP in 20 seconds. It'll probably break the game for you though, having completely evolved badges fully maxed out within the first chapter or so.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
Cheaters only cheat themselves ... as my accountant once said, before going to jail for embezzlement and tax evasion ...

What a hypocrite
lecture.gif

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i made a thread on the help section but i thought i could ask here too... hope it's not a problem
unsure.gif

so anyway... my save vanished into nothing for some mysterious reason (maybe it's my G6 on the last leg,or maybe i turned off the game while it was saving without noticing...) and now i ask,could anyone who finished it and was playing on a G6 post his save? i just want to read the final secret report (last one i read was day 4 of 3rd chapter) and try a fight with the secret boss of the game

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magus said:
i made a thread on the help section but i thought i could ask here too... hope it's not a problem
unsure.gif

so anyway... my save vanished into nothing for some mysterious reason (maybe it's my G6 on the last leg,or maybe i turned off the game while it was saving without noticing...) and now i ask,could anyone who finished it and was playing on a G6 post his save?
i just want to read the final secret report (last one i read was day 4 of 3rd chapter) and try a fight with the secret boss of the game

Looks like GameFAQs has a save for the game. You should be able to covert it to conform to your card, I believe.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/save/935689.html

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ah lovely! i already found a way to convert it... gonna check later if it's gonna work
EDIT: yay it works! but it's a pretty measly save file... crappy badge,crappy items and
no secret report so i'll have to redo the entire chapter with beat if i want to read those secret report :/ still better than nothing but if someone has a better save to post i would like it

ndela007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragonlord said:
ndela007 said:
Just my $0.02, this game is fantastic. The music is fun, the difficulty curve is enjoyable, and finally having a purely stylus game that is enjoyable has pleased me. Also for you folks with problems with the M.PP (mingle pp), just set your game to mingle mode and let it sit while you are not playing. Random chance encounters with 'Aliens' equate to 100pp a pop.

Oh yeah, do not forget to stuff your face with food, those second bonuses are permanent and can make a -huge- difference.
Yeah, which is exactly the problem ( didn't mention it explicitly in the mini-review ). You have to wait 24 real hours before you can eat again. Rather stupid to have to eat some stuff and digest it ( I would say at best 10 minutes ) and then waiting 24 hours before doing the next feeding. How did Yathzee say so well? The definition of a game is to amuse you not that you have to go amuse yourself "while" you play a game ( which is here the case ).

The point of the game is to play it, the food system is an alternate method of customizing your character. The reason why it takes twenty four hours to digest a full stomach (mind you there are foods that you can eat while full that give great bonuses) is because you could be godlike within a few hours. When there is no challenge to the game, there is no interest in the game, and then people will not buy your game. The best way to think of the food system in TWEWY, is that it is much like the Chocobo breeding in FFVII. Sure you could spend days attempting to get that gold chocobo, but is it required to enjoy the game? No it is not. Heck I did not even really use the food system for the first two weeks of play and got along perfectly fine (may I add, it did not detract from the overall enjoyment of the game at all).

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
ndela007 said:
Dragonlord said:
ndela007 said:
Just my $0.02, this game is fantastic. The music is fun, the difficulty curve is enjoyable, and finally having a purely stylus game that is enjoyable has pleased me. Also for you folks with problems with the M.PP (mingle pp), just set your game to mingle mode and let it sit while you are not playing. Random chance encounters with 'Aliens' equate to 100pp a pop.

Oh yeah, do not forget to stuff your face with food, those second bonuses are permanent and can make a -huge- difference.
Yeah, which is exactly the problem ( didn't mention it explicitly in the mini-review ). You have to wait 24 real hours before you can eat again. Rather stupid to have to eat some stuff and digest it ( I would say at best 10 minutes ) and then waiting 24 hours before doing the next feeding. How did Yathzee say so well? The definition of a game is to amuse you not that you have to go amuse yourself "while" you play a game ( which is here the case ).

The point of the game is to play it, the food system is an alternate method of customizing your character. The reason why it takes twenty four hours to digest a full stomach (mind you there are foods that you can eat while full that give great bonuses) is because you could be godlike within a few hours. When there is no challenge to the game, there is no interest in the game, and then people will not buy your game. The best way to think of the food system in TWEWY, is that it is much like the Chocobo breeding in FFVII. Sure you could spend days attempting to get that gold chocobo, but is it required to enjoy the game? No it is not. Heck I did not even really use the food system for the first two weeks of play and got along perfectly fine (may I add, it did not detract from the overall enjoyment of the game at all).

Remember too that there are always 6 Food slots free everytime, so you can stuff yourself with chicken nuggets, coffee or the like to get bonuses. Even at Level 1, I'm at 750+ HP without equipment bonuses.

Dragonlord

Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue
Trophies
Website
www.indiedb.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
ndela007 said:
Dragonlord said:
ndela007 said:

That's correct but also the source of the problem. The game mechanic is flawed there or how we call it "unbalanced". A cheap way to attempt to balance things is by adding time caps. Getting this game mechanic working right is a tough call but a cheap time hack doesn't solve it. Furthermore people can cheat past this so easily that it turns the balancing-attempt in the first place even worse.

I have not used myself the food system for the entire game. It's true that you don't need it to get through it... that is if you don't mind playing boss battles on easy ( not all... just some are next to impossible otherwise without heavy godding through food ).

souljah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was also having the same prob with my M3R, freezing before the battle with the frog (soft reset:on) or right after (soft reset:off).
Somehow, after i formatted my microSD (sandisk 2gb) and started the game with no *.sav in it, the game didn't freeze =o

Have you guys tried deleting the .sav?

P

pasc

irpacynot said:
Szyslak said:
...By far the best game of the year at this point.

I'm inclined to agree. At least in terms of this game being a story telling device. The gameplay is really fun, and the way it allows the player to choose how to play, really makes this game a unique experience. But the story is...WOW! I really can't say I've played another game that has as fleshed-out a story as TWEWY -- console or otherwise.

Yeah, the battle system has some minor quibs, but other than that, TWEWY's damn near a masterpiece. Again though, as a story telling vehicle, this game goes where few others dare tread, and for that reason alone, it's worth anyone's time.

Agree'd

Man, what a game, just finished, and it BLEW me away, I think this and NG will tide me over until the next SE game will come out
grog.gif

BTW: If anyone got questions to ask about the game or something related, ask away, my PM box and e-mail are free 4 all.

Magus

GBATEMP RPG MANIAC
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
as i said i appreciate the fact that someone found me a clear game save but at this point i really just want to read the last secret reports... there was a part of me that wanted to master every badge and get the uber secret stuff but maybe it's better that my save is gone and that i don't grind my very own soul! so when anybody reach them if he can either
1) post his save
2) make a transcript of them
it would make me a very happy guy

RayJT9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Getting huge graphical glitches in the boss battle VS that one woman (Konichi I think) on an M3DS Real... Anyone else?

--Ray

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow 26 pages of replies. This game must be very popular! Since it was released only few days ago or last week.

I don't like fighting games but I like collecting stuff so is this game worth to download? I'm still awaiting my CycloDS - DS Firelink - bit of crap.

RayJT9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wilddenim said:
Wow 26 pages of replies. This game must be very popular! Since it was released only few days ago or last week.

I don't like fighting games but I like collecting stuff so is this game worth to download? I'm still awaiting my CycloDS - DS Firelink - bit of crap.

Yes! This game is definitely worth it. It's an RPG, not a fighting game, though.

--Ray

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Penisapiens
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Tempus Bannus
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @cearp, okie dokie i'm sorry
  • cearp @ cearp:
    lol I meant nothing by it - and for the record I have no powers, so no worries :D
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, you're forgiven
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Well I don't forgive him. He's been eating ALL the Tempus Bannus's :angry:
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, it was only once :angry:
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ROFL :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp: