DS #5314: Atari's Greatest Hits Volume 1 (USA)

NamoNakamura

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JonthanD said:
JLsoft said:
JonthanD, you've read posts/nicks wrong, and are talking about 2 different people
smile.gif

I'm aware of StellaDS...long ago I posted a couple builds patched to use DLDI (instead of relying on Slot2 storage) before the author finally updated it...but it's still not close to full speed or anything. I was interested in the emulation used in this ROM since it's got nice speed/sound/scaling.
smile.gif

I am wondering what 2600 games are not running full speed? I am using the last build and thats like 3 years old now and have played almost every ROM in the set, Before anyone laughs at me, the whole set is a little over 3MB's so it takes up less space then the average MP3 file.
tongue.gif

Honestly amazing what they did with a few kilobytes of space.

Also sorry if I got you confused with some one who was responding apparently for you, how odd....

Edit: And yes I do know what the original hardware played like, I owned a woody 2600, the remade smaller one (wish I had kept that one it was cool) and a 7800.

It's been awhile since I've checked, but I remember Pressure Cooker and Pitfall 2 running slowly on Stella DS. I was using an Acekard 2, 4 gb micro sd, though I don't think perfofmance would vary based on Flash carts.

Also, looking back on the posts, yeah, I made an error there. My bad, sorry for fuming up like that. Sleep deprivation will do that to you. I wasn't responding for him, though, just responding (playfully, I thought).

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kit_ said:
I am so happy I was a nintendo kid growing up. These games are just awful. The only redeeming quality of this collection of games is now I appreciate those old nes games even more.

Lol Atari is amazing. Shit, I wasn't even around during the Atari years and when I've played them a few years ago, it was fun as hell. Clearly you don't like games that don't end and the point of them is to get a high score.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Kit_ said:
I am so happy I was a nintendo kid growing up. These games are just awful. The only redeeming quality of this collection of games is now I appreciate those old nes games even more.

Lol Atari is amazing. Shit, I wasn't even around during the Atari years and when I've played them a few years ago, it was fun as hell. Clearly you don't like games that don't end and the point of them is to get a high score.

It's true from one perspective that Atari 2600 games are crap, in the same breath one needs to realize that at the time no one knew what a video game was, this was all new stuff so some of it was sheer genius in that context.

Nintendo came out a lot later in the game, after Atari had market several systems, and so had something like 12 years of hind sight to build on for the NES.

Needless to say, yeah Nintendo NES games are way better then 2600 games, but do not get me wrong there are some absolute gems on the 2600 and if you know what you looking for or have played them you can get some fun even out of those crappy graphics
smile.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kit_ said:

rofl.gif
Guess you had to be there.

To be fair, there's little here that represents the best of 2600 or the arcade games of that era (oh, Defender Stargate and Robotron). But like I said before, the collection is worth it alone for Missile Command. It's surprising to me just how well that game holds up. Granted, it's not nearly as fun without the rolling ball controller and arcade buttons. The game itself, though, is still fun, for me at least.

It's fair to say, though, that much of the awesomeness of gaming on 2600 during its heyday came from the fact that actual games were being produced. I mean, the tech was pretty fucking amazing back then. We take that shit for granted now, but being able to finally have some semblance of an arcade experience at home in the 70s was balls-out amazing.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
being able to finally have some semblance of an arcade experience at home in the 70s was balls-out amazing.
Yeah, in fact most original games were ports of arcade games (or played like arcade games) because they were originally sold as a way for parents to let their kids play videogames without having to send them off alone with money into a dark smelly arcade with strangers, whoooooo! *ghost sound effects here*

Don't know of any of those commercials offhand though. Anybody got a link?

Arvin Hyatt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One problem I had with Stella DS is that there seems to be no option to change the difficulty switches. It can really change the gameplay of some of these games. At least with this collection I can control everything, though most of my personal favorites (Superman, Yar's Revenge, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc) are nowhere to be found.

Kit_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went back and played the Arcade section and had a much more enjoyable time. Battlezone kept me entertained whilst using the restroom.

t.bogard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NamoNakamura said:
This is almost the perfect collection. Throw in Major Havoc from the arcades and this would have been golden. I would have actually bought this.

Although I guess it would have been hard to emulate, but it looks like it could be easily reprogrammed or ported.

Oh Vector Games!!!! i hope to see some old arcade games comming back...

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The amazing thing about these games is that the programmers had to use all kinds of tricks to fit the whole thing into unbelievably miniscule ROM sizes. These things are tiny tiny tiny tiny.

As stanleyopar2000 says, there's no reason they couldn't fit every single damn 2600 game that was ever made onto one DS cart. That there are so few in this collection is hard to understand, especially at the price other people are paying for it.

To Kit: GeekyGuy has it right. You had to be there. There was nothing to compare it to at the time. That was a looong time ago, the very dawn of video games, and I assume either before you were born or during your infancy.

But Adventure, which is in this collection, was revolutionary. Sure, it compares horribly with Link to the Past, but it blazed that trail well in advance. And Adventure on the level 3 setting (random object placement) is still fun for me.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
regnad said:
The amazing thing about these games is that the programmers had to use all kinds of tricks to fit the whole thing into unbelievably miniscule ROM sizes. These things are tiny tiny tiny tiny.

As stanleyopar2000 says, there's no reason they couldn't fit every single damn 2600 game that was ever made onto one DS cart. That there are so few in this collection is hard to understand, especially at the price other people are paying for it.

To Kit: GeekyGuy has it right. You had to be there. There was nothing to compare it to at the time. That was a looong time ago, the very dawn of video games, and I assume either before you were born or during your infancy.

But Adventure, which is in this collection, was revolutionary. Sure, it compares horribly with Link to the Past, but it blazed that trail well in advance. And Adventure on the level 3 setting (random object placement) is still fun for me.

lol yeah the entire set for the 2600 is something like 3MB's. I think thats like 500 games or something.

I think the reason they do not put more games on these things is that licensing deal
wink.gif
Although at this point in time companies should just bulk license this stuff for cheap. Say something like 10 cents a copy if some one wants to use it. By 10 cents I mean per copy sold, so for 5$ per cart Atari or Activision or who ever could toss 50 games on a cart pick out the cream of the crop and make a decent collection for once that might actually sell.

But alas this will never happen, Activision, Coleco, Atari, Mattel, would all have to agree on selling one cart and each company would say "Hey we could sell our own classic cart and get all the monies!!!"

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Discounting the arcade games, very few of the games in the 2600 games were really "greatest hits" in this compilation. Some of Activision's worst games were better than most of these. For a better 2600 experience, I recommend Activision Anthology for GBA.

I certainly hope they were saving the best for vol.2. I'd really like to know what titles will be in it. No Yar's Revenge would be a fail, for example.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i started with game & watch and then the NES

played some of those on C64 and coleccovision at a friend place if i recall.. not appealing to me though i like retro gaming but not THAT much
smile.gif

JLsoft

The Joystick Lunatic
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JLsoft said:
Hrmpf, single large 'archive_bin' file for resources...so much for my hopes of being able to inject 2600 ROMs if this is using emulation for them :/

Ancient thread resurrection, but:

[youtube]JkbnZHNpYp8[/youtube]

biggrin.gif

A tedious process is involved, but it seems to work.
smile.gif

Trophies
XP
Ancient thread resurrection, but:

[youtube]JkbnZHNpYp8[/youtube]

biggrin.gif

A tedious process is involved, but it seems to work.
smile.gif
You thought what you did was ancient thread resurrection? Watch this.

"I'm thinking about tossing together an ugly program to batch-import VCS ROMs...unless someone else wants to make a full-fledged editor for these Greatest Hits compilations :)"

Don't do this to us jlsoft, tell us how. So far the commercial emulator is the only one with multiplayer support.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: