Homebrew DS Homebrew ideas

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably because a list of homebrew ideas isn't really going to do anything, at least in terms of getting anything actually coded. Ideas are fine and all, but programmers usually pursue their own interests rather than looking for things people want programmed for them.

asuri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Joshunar said:
how about kingdom of loathing ds
seconded
hahah good times as a turtle tamer then a pastamancer
could be cool if you can have those territory wars online
monthly special items too like time items or an origami towel

MoonCat5

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see an ORIGINAL Smash Bros. for DS. Not just some ripped sprites, bugged beyond acknowledgement, SSBB wannabe game. But JUS will have to do for now
smile.gif
. Also I'd love to see an old school Metroid platformer for DS. Metroid Prime has always disappointed me.
frown.gif
It's just not as memorable as the platformers were. The world needs more platformers. Correction: The world needs more GREAT platformers.

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
sjones900 said:
hehe me to but it would be cool if you could chat over other messengers like yahoo and then start a web camera conversation and plus the ds has a mic so that will come into play aswell :yayds:
The DS doesn't have a web cam so whats the point?????
Hi all, came across this thread on a Google search wondering if there was already some homebrew for the webcam, after seeing that Dealextreme has one: Genuine Face Training Webcam Set for NDS Lite (Japanese Version) sku.10596

No luck in my search yet, prolly wont have any atm, but it would be cool to see some webcam apps :P

klein

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone were to create a homebrew NES game that runs on a NES emulator could they submit it to the Homebrew contest? Because I am thinking of maybe making my own version of Megaman with custom levels and the likes.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DanTheManMS said:
Probably because a list of homebrew ideas isn't really going to do anything, at least in terms of getting anything actually coded. Ideas are fine and all, but programmers usually pursue their own interests rather than looking for things people want programmed for them.
Hey I'm a programmer and I'm looking for ideas here! So far all of them are to hard for me....

Devil May Cry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an app called Child Be Gone for the PSP. It autoboots when the PSP is started and requires a button combination to be bypassed. Basically a security feature so no one touches your stuff.. Maybe for the DS it could use the touch keyboard? Just throwing it out there.

Tapper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with this thread is that none of the people SUGGESTING projects have a single clue about how the Nintendo DS operates - obviously, because otherwise they'd be writing the projects themselves. (There are some exceptions clearly, don't get you're panties in a bunch)

Lemme throw out some problems, complexities and general information to help the community better understand what is and is not possible with the DS at the moment.

Rules Of The Game:
Nintendo DS Operating System.
Unlike the PSP, the DS does not have a resident operating system. Once an application is launched, the firmware is overwritten in memory with the running application. In addition, any automatic features (such as a child lock key combination) requires a modification to the device's firmware. A daunting task, and one not easily completed on newer DS models. (Simply loading the new firmware requires shorting several pins to bypass a safety)

Custom Firmwares.
Not impossible, but certainly quite difficult and rarely worth the trouble. And seeing as the hardware of the DS is still not FULLY understood, I'm not sure a custom firmware would be wise. It's rare you'd find a good reason to fully replace the default firmware. Besides, it's becoming increasingly more difficult with the newer model DS's on the market.

WIFI Limitations.
Many wifi-oriented applications are possible. The only thing to keep in mind is the very low bandwidth speed. Some genius decided to cap the maximum transfer speed of the Nintendo DS to a particuarly low amount. Without getting real technical, this can seriously limit it's capabilities. For instance, streaming radio at any bitrate over 48kbps or so CANNOT be streamed fast enough over the connection, so it spends lots and lots of time buffering. WIFI applications are great - just take into account transfer speed. You don't want to be copying ROM files back and forth. That also includes the bittorrent client. I'd love to see one, just remember it's going to be SLOW.

Multiple Applications.
It's been pointed out, but i'll reinstate it. The Nintendo DS can only run one application at a time. That means that once a program is launched, you can't launch another. That means no background music players, screen streamers or anything like that. I'd love to see it happen, but the DS just isn't designed that way.

EXCEPTION: There's one possible exception, but I see no sign that it's ever been attempted. Some of the cheat engines for the homebrew cards support 'real time cheats' and soft rebooting with a key combination. I suspect when enabled, these features tack on additional code to the ROM before launch - this explains why these features sometimes (but rarely) cause problems with the ROM themselves, causing weird glitches and freezes. They work for the most part. This leads me to believe that it's possible to write a program to 'wrap' a ROM before launching it, and run a little bit of your own code at the same time. I'd love to hear if anyone thinks this is possible, or has tried it.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A DemonStar port would be great, and best of all, there would be no need to make up a new lame title for it to include "DS" because DemonStar.
http://www.mking.com/demonstar/
The game itself is a vertical shooter so both screens would be utilized.
And two player mode via Wireless would be incredible.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
DanTheManMS said:
Hey I'm a programmer and I'm looking for ideas here! So far all of them are to hard for me....
Well what's so hard?
When I program, everytime I find something I don't know how to do, I google it
smile.gif

I'm just too lazy to program.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Floridawoman is the only thing that can ruin Floridaman +1