Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

PotatoStatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm the only one with flickering screens (specially bottom one) when using twilight?
First I though it was my dsi.
But the I installed in my old 3ds and same happened.

The games and homebrew are alright, thought.
Huh. I get the exact same thing on my DSi XL except it only happens when I boot into the Unlaunch menu. It goes away after a minute or so (or if I boot something else).

Reactions: Tarmfot
v27.1.1 New

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v27.1.1

What's new?​

• DSi-based themes: On DS flashcards, large cheat lists no longer cause a crash. To achieve this:
    • SFX is now unloaded when opening the cheat menu.
    • The complete font is no longer loaded, and instead will load font tiles into an LRU cache.
  • Due to the above feature freeing up plenty of RAM space, the DSi-type fonts will now be loaded on all consoles instead of the DS-type fonts.
    • If you're creating a custom font, you now just need large.nftr and/or small.nftr.
  • @mentusfentus: Page switch SFX now pans left and right. (#2396)

Bug fixes​

• Some weird bugs have appeared since v26.9.0 due to enabling LTO. To fix them, LTO has been disabled in areas where the bugs have occurred.
  • Fixed an overlooked bug where the R4 and GBC themes would appear with a blank ROM list if the page number (for DSi-based themes) is not the first.
Post automatically merged:

v27.1.2 (hotfix)

What's new?​

• MBK settings from the DSi header of homebrew ROMs will now be set. Should fix support for such ROMs that may happen to use differing and/or odd settings.
    • Does not apply to DSiWarehax and/or CycloDS iEvolution users.

Bug fix​

• Fixed an overlooked bug which caused a white screen crash when the language and/or region select screens would appear. (A common bug for first-time users.)

Last edited by RocketRobz,

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
v27.1.1

What's new?​

• DSi-based themes: On DS flashcards, large cheat lists no longer cause a crash. To achieve this:
    • SFX is now unloaded when opening the cheat menu.
    • The complete font is no longer loaded, and instead will load font tiles into an LRU cache.
  • Due to the above feature freeing up plenty of RAM space, the DSi-type fonts will now be loaded on all consoles instead of the DS-type fonts.
    • If you're creating a custom font, you now just need large.nftr and/or small.nftr.
  • @mentusfentus: Page switch SFX now pans left and right. (#2396)

Bug fixes​

• Some weird bugs have appeared since v26.9.0 due to enabling LTO. To fix them, LTO has been disabled in areas where the bugs have occurred.
  • Fixed an overlooked bug where the R4 and GBC themes would appear with a blank ROM list if the page number (for DSi-based themes) is not the first.

v27.1.2 (hotfix)

What's new?​

• MBK settings from the DSi header of homebrew ROMs will now be set. Should fix support for such ROMs that may happen to use differing and/or odd settings.
    • Does not apply to DSiWarehax and/or CycloDS iEvolution users.

Bug fix​

• Fixed an overlooked bug which caused a white screen crash when the language and/or region select screens would appear. (A common bug for first-time users.)
does 27.1.1 come with latest version of gbarunner3 automatically?

Trevor_2012

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
20240427_231955.jpg
Moonshl2 does not start.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys,
I'm having a rather strange problem with TwilightMenu++ or rather nds-bootstrap that I can't wrap my head around and I'd like to hear your guys' input on.
So, I have a DSi and a DSi XL, both running TWL++ v27.1.0 and nds-bootstrap v1.5.0 and I'm playing backups from the SD card.
The problem is that the gen 5 Pokemon games (Black, White, Black 2, White 2) all run extremely slow when the C-Gear is enabled.
I've of course googled that issue and I've seen that that issue is documented and not fixable as the C-Gear basically requires faster data transfer that the internal SD card adapter just doesn't provide.
So far so understandable, however, the weird thing is: That issue is new to me.

To be as specific as I can:
I have been playing dumps of my physical, German copies of Pokemon Black and White on my DSi XL the last few weeks and the games worked flawlessly and ran as they do on the original cartridge even with the C-Gear enabled. After I beat both of those games I dumped by copies of Black 2 and White 2 as well and updated TwilightMenu++ and nds-bootstrap to the above mentioned versions. Ever since then, I'm having the slowdown issues when C-Gear is enabled. Unfortunately, I don't know which version of nds-bootstrap and TWL++ I had used before I updated. All I know is that the slowdowns now occur in all four games on both of my consoles (I've updated my setup on my DSi at the same time as the XL). I'm using original SanDisk Class 10 microSDs (SanDisk Ultra) in both consoles, 16GB in the DSi, 32GB in the XL. No cheats are enabled. No setting changes after updating TwilightMenu, games are running at TWL clock speed (133 mHz)

Don't get me wrong, having to disable C-Gear isn't a dealbreaker or anything, it's just bugging me that I'm having this issue even though I've previously didn't. It's just one of those things where I simply wouldn't believe it if it hadn't happened to me myself.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,
I'm having a rather strange problem with TwilightMenu++ or rather nds-bootstrap that I can't wrap my head around and I'd like to hear your guys' input on.
So, I have a DSi and a DSi XL, both running TWL++ v27.1.0 and nds-bootstrap v1.5.0 and I'm playing backups from the SD card.
The problem is that the gen 5 Pokemon games (Black, White, Black 2, White 2) all run extremely slow when the C-Gear is enabled.
I've of course googled that issue and I've seen that that issue is documented and not fixable as the C-Gear basically requires faster data transfer that the internal SD card adapter just doesn't provide.
So far so understandable, however, the weird thing is: That issue is new to me.

To be as specific as I can:
I have been playing dumps of my physical, German copies of Pokemon Black and White on my DSi XL the last few weeks and the games worked flawlessly and ran as they do on the original cartridge even with the C-Gear enabled. After I beat both of those games I dumped by copies of Black 2 and White 2 as well and updated TwilightMenu++ and nds-bootstrap to the above mentioned versions. Ever since then, I'm having the slowdown issues when C-Gear is enabled. Unfortunately, I don't know which version of nds-bootstrap and TWL++ I had used before I updated. All I know is that the slowdowns now occur in all four games on both of my consoles (I've updated my setup on my DSi at the same time as the XL). I'm using original SanDisk Class 10 microSDs (SanDisk Ultra) in both consoles, 16GB in the DSi, 32GB in the XL. No cheats are enabled. No setting changes after updating TwilightMenu, games are running at TWL clock speed (133 mHz)

Don't get me wrong, having to disable C-Gear isn't a dealbreaker or anything, it's just bugging me that I'm having this issue even though I've previously didn't. It's just one of those things where I simply wouldn't believe it if it hadn't happened to me myself.
Older nds-bootstrap versions which didn't have the slowdown would cause multiplayer games to have communication errors. Because of that, later versions added the slowdown to fix/reduce the errors.
While it should be possible to remove the slowdown just for C-Gear usage, it is unknown how to do so.

when I try to play super mario 64 ds on my new nintendo 2dsxl, with dsi overclock and dsi vram all I get is a white screen, I updated twilight menu through universal updater
Does the game work without DSi VRAM Mode? Because it should work fine with TWL clock speed.

MichiS97

"Leftist snowflake milennial"
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Older nds-bootstrap versions which didn't have the slowdown would cause multiplayer games to have communication errors. Because of that, later versions added the slowdown to fix/reduce the errors.
While it should be possible to remove the slowdown just for C-Gear usage, it is unknown how to do so.

Does the game work without DSi VRAM Mode? Because it should work fine with TWL clock speed.
Aaah that explains it then. Thank you for clearing that up :)

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Does anyone know if the save files generated with Twilight Menu are compatible with DS emulators?
I'm mostly interested in knowing if I can fire up any DS cart save file from Twilight into let's say melonDS.
Also, do DSiWare games generate an external save file that could also be used with emulators? Or are DSiWare save files stored internally in the NAND?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know if the save files generated with Twilight Menu are compatible with DS emulators?
I'm mostly interested in knowing if I can fire up any DS cart save file from Twilight into let's say melonDS.
Yes, they're compatible with DS emulators.
Also, do DSiWare games generate an external save file that could also be used with emulators? Or are DSiWare save files stored internally in the NAND?
DSiWare saves are generated on the SD card, instead of internally on the NAND.
They should also be usable with emulators.

• Love
Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, they're compatible with DS emulators.

DSiWare saves are generated on the SD card, instead of internally on the NAND.
They should also be usable with emulators.
That's fantastic news, thank you!
I've been wanting to get myself a DSi so I could install Twilight Menu into it, and still be able to share my saves from the DSi directly into any DS emulator, so this is just perfect for what I wanted to achieve.
Thanks again!

Reactions: RocketRobz

the_trickster

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

No, I also checked other games, KH 358/2 days has music problems now, it stops for brief seconds, and when it comes back it sounds like a broken record, only to sound normally again (for the record, before I updated all of the games ran fine with the widescreen patch, dsi vram and TWL clock speed, some of them with cheats to utilize Zr and Zl buttons, and c-nub too, and also I have higher sound quality turned on) I need to turn off the clock speed and vram for the game to work, otherwise all I get is a white screen

Last edited by the_trickster,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.