Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
The spirit of this thread is hax revolving around DSi mode, not explicitly TWL_FIRM. That's what Acuna means -- he's not a programmer so cut him some slack.
Sometimes we focus on semantics so much we lose sight of the big picture.

Billy Acuña

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The spirit of this thread is hax revolving around DSi mode, not explicitly TWL_FIRM. That's what Acuna means -- he's not a programmer so cut him some slack.
Sometimes we focus on semantics so much we lose sight of the big picture.
Pretty sorry, I just edited the OP (again).

Can a mod change the name of the thread to "DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread"?

narutonic

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just to be sure.
This """hack""" would let us inject .nds games(like Pokemon Diamond , NSMB...) into dsiware ?

And if we use something like Poke Transfert will it work ? Or it's not posssible ATM ?

TuxSH

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's called "twlsavetool" because it's a savegame extraction/injection tool for DS/DSi (twl) carts, but it doesn't use twl firm.
The only thing you can do right now under twl firm is running pirated DSiWare, and that's because it's native firm which checks that the ticket is properly signed for your console (if signature checks are patched out, twl firm happily accepts a pirated, but otherwise untouched, DSiWare).
This. It's just raw SPI done through PXI.

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Why make a thread if you aren't a dev and there is not currently work or some PoC?
Regular users make threads about hacks and potential hacks all the time.
I'd rather them do that and occasionally look foolish rather than let the place turn into a tumbleweed factory like 4dsdev, where almost only devs post.

If a thread is poorly conceived and useless it will fade into obscurity soon enough anyway. Bumping it with complaints doesn't help.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
There is TWLNandFiler which is basically DSi mode SaveDataFiler. BUT because it uses dev sigs instead of retail sigs, retail TWL_FIRM won't boot it.

What we really need is sig patched TWL_FIRM (and I hear that you have to patch that out in TWL bootloader SRL in the TWL_FIRM CXI. Not just the usual sig patch in Arm9 section. Though that's needed as well before you can modify TWL boot loader)

You can use custom TWL_FIRM on emunand by the way, so that would be a good testing platform for something like that if you don't feel like fiddling with sysnand's version. (though the worst you could do with TWL_FIRM is cause TWL mode to not work until you get a correct TWL_FIRM working)

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

zoogie

Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
This reminds me so much of how the Temp is so cringeworthy at times. :lol:
Well it's a public forum so shit happens. :P

Still, I look at other places where people talk about 3ds homebrew/piracy like reddit and neogaf and it's far more cringeworthy than this place. Some really bad misinformation in those places and, unlike here, isn't quickly corrected usually.

D

Deleted User

Well it's a public forum so shit happens. :P

Still, I look at other places where people talk about 3ds homebrew/piracy like reddit and neogaf and it's far more cringeworthy than this place. Some really bad misinformation in those places and, unlike here, isn't quickly corrected usually.
Wololo and Hackinformer sometimes have really cringeworthy shit over there too. :P
And let's just say it's worse than bad misinformation...

Reactions: zoogie

Billy Acuña

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, until there isnt devs interesed on TWL_FIRM or DSi Mode because "flashcards are cheap nowdays" (I alreally own a R4 and a DSTWO and I care), I will start researching on TWL_FIRM, if someone is interesed could PM me to work in team.

Reactions: Supster131

Razorzeto

Darkness can not drive out darkness.
Trophies
XP
Country
Any idea of how to edit a hax 2.5 payload for "removing" payload code and colored screens flashing from 3ds top an bottom screen?

Well, until there isnt devs interesed on TWL_FIRM or DSi Mode because "flashcards are cheap nowdays" (I alreally own a R4 and a DSTWO and I care), I will start researching on TWL_FIRM, if someone is interesed could PM me to work in team.

I don't want to be mean, but if you don't have any knowledge and can't edit a simple payload, much less you'll be able to work on TWL_FIRM.

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can still get a CycloDS iEvolution and downgrade TWL_FIRM and DS Card Whitelist for DSi mode.

1) This card is impossible to find.
2) Even if you have one, it is based on an exploited game (My Cooking Coach) and only can use DSi features that the exploited game has the permission to use, so it isn't a perfect solution.

It would be great if we could run DSi games with full DSi permissions.

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind helping (I would really love to), but I don't know jack shit about how anything works (essentially).
I also wouldn't mind learning, it would take a long time before I can probably achieve anything, and by that time, (hopefully) someone else would have finally done the job.

Billy Acuña

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I wouldn't mind helping (I would really love to), but I don't know jack shit about how anything works (essentially).
I also wouldn't mind learning, it would take a long time before I can probably achieve anything, and by that time, (hopefully) someone else would have finally done the job.
"If no one does, do it by yourself" that's my rule, however, I'll start with C++

Feroz El Mejor

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Spain
I really want to know if it's possible to make a "region free DS games", just like the 3DS one, forcing to boot the cartridge on the console. Because DSi games and DSi enhanced are region lock. And the most important thing is... If you force an Old R4 who only works into DS and DS Lite, force the cartridge would make it work?

Please don't tell me that there are some flashcarts who work in all fw of 3DS, I know that, but I want to see if my flashcart can work if we can force to all DS cartridges on 3DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    run h2testw on it
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    when SD cards/microSD write speeds drop below a meg a sec, they're usually on the verge of dying
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Samsung SD format can sometimes fix them too
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    yes looks like an faulty sd
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    @Psionic Roshambo i may try that with my dead sd cards
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's always worth a shot
    @The Real Jdbye, I considered that, but i'll have to wait until i can get the eu version in the mail lol
  • I @ I-need-help-with-wup-wiiu:
    i need help with nusspli failed downloads, can someone respond to my thread? pretty please:wub: