Homebrew DS(i) Mode hacking progress thread

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really want to know if it's possible to make a "region free DS games", just like the 3DS one, forcing to boot the cartridge on the console. Because DSi games and DSi enhanced are region lock. And the most important thing is... If you force an Old R4 who only works into DS and DS Lite, force the cartridge would make it work?

Please don't tell me that there are some flashcarts who work in all fw of 3DS, I know that, but I want to see if my flashcart can work if we can force to all DS cartridges on 3DS.
so your hope is to use something like an original r4 on a 3ds
that would be cool-ish

Reactions: Returnofganon

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
well the thing is the 3ds does not have the full dsi or ds flirmware would it be possible to inject a bios so you can get dslite /ds menu on your 3ds

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
tool to read/write saves from DS cartridges, and this is pretty amazing, because there wasn't a method to at least touch the TWL_FIRM and this is just the first step of DS(i) mode hacking.
i didnt think the tool uses twlfirm at all, right? i might be wrong, i thought it was just a 'normal' homebrew, not a breakthrough. not to undermine it, thanks

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's called "twlsavetool" because it's a savegame extraction/injection tool for DS/DSi (twl) carts, but it doesn't use twl firm.
The only thing you can do right now under twl firm is running pirated DSiWare, and that's because it's native firm which checks that the ticket is properly signed for your console (if signature checks are patched out, twl firm happily accepts a pirated, but otherwise untouched, DSiWare).
whoops already said, thanks aurora.
yeah, so we are no further into hacking twl, so this thread is misleading.
:)

Sumsquat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
well the thing is the 3ds does not have the full dsi or ds flirmware would it be possible to inject a bios so you can get dslite /ds menu on your 3ds

There was a "firmware.nds" floating around the internet, some years ago. That was, in fact, the NDS Menu, with pictochat etc. I guess, if .nds injection was a thing, it'd work.

laharl22

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i have a dstwo but injecting ds rom will be more interresting for me no need to the flashcart and more confortable

Reactions: Queno138

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a "firmware.nds" floating around the internet, some years ago. That was, in fact, the NDS Menu, with pictochat etc. I guess, if .nds injection was a thing, it'd work.
On 3DS consoles:
It works on a flashcart and sudokuhax. On a flashcart, running it will take you to the first-time setup screen, where in sudokuhax, the NDS logo jingle's pitch lowers down while playing, and freezes after fading to white.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

meinhard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I really hope this thread will bring some focus on the topic
But this is gbatemp so probably 99% of posts will be "HOW YOU DARE OPEN A SERIOUS THREAD IF YOU ARE NOT A DEVELOPER" and shit like that

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

wow.. finally something that i can backup my nds saves with.. because it was becoming extremely tedious setting up a local ftp server every damn time with my ancient 2011 r4... i could totally be up for this

Sumsquat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
On 3DS consoles:
It works on a flashcart and sudokuhax. On a flashcart, running it will take you to the first-time setup screen, where in sudokuhax, the NDS logo jingle's pitch lowers down while playing, and freezes after fading to white.

Sounds like you still got it. Would you mind sharing it with me? (If it's not legal to post publicly, I'd be thankful for a PM)

EDIT: nvm, found it online.

Last edited by Sumsquat,

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I really want to know if it's possible to make a "region free DS games", just like the 3DS one, forcing to boot the cartridge on the console. Because DSi games and DSi enhanced are region lock. And the most important thing is... If you force an Old R4 who only works into DS and DS Lite, force the cartridge would make it work?

Please don't tell me that there are some flashcarts who work in all fw of 3DS, I know that, but I want to see if my flashcart can work if we can force to all DS cartridges on 3DS.
Pokemon BW and BW2 are region free, the only DSi enhanced region free games AFAIK.

and as for retail games made cia, club nintendo of japan released advance wars days of ruin as DSiWare as a platinum reward on 2014.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
no they are not region free if you play them on a DSi or 3DS.
after some investigation I was half wrong, you can use play european 5 gen pokemon games on american 3DS without problem but if you try to do the same with an american DSi doesn't work. I assumed that worked the same on DSi but I was wrong.

TL;DR 3DS bypass DSi carts region locking.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, noob question.

So TWL_FIRM requires the signatures to be correct to run a DSiWare title.
If you patch the signatures, you can run pirated DSiWare titles fine... but you can't run anything other than DSiWare titles.
What exactly prevents NDS titles from running? Is there other code in the DSiWare worth noting? Would it be possible to get NDS working, or maybe even extract DSi titles for NDS emulators?

Also, would there be a way to not require DSi titles to be on both sysNAND and emuNAND? Is there a way to expand your emuNAND to add more room for DSi titles?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel