Gaming DS Phat Freezing

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a friend gave me an old DS phat in great condition. However starting Pictochat, Settings, or DS Download Play automatically causes the system to freeze. The WiFi card is not damaged because I have connected to the internet using multiple commercial games/homebrew applications without a problem.

I tried removing the battery to reset the system to it's default settings, but it would just freeze on the "Nintendo DS" screen, with a bottom white screen after doing so. Funny enough, I was able to re-setup the system and was even able to access Pictochat, Settings, and DLP using the "firmware.nds" (essentially the NDS OS in SRL/executable format) from a flashcart.

Is there some definitive way to wipe a DS's memory altogether? Maybe a homebrew application can do the trick? Thanks!

dpad_5678

Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried installing flashme? Not sure how much if if FW it replaces but maybe worth a shot
Funny thing is, I did try to install FlashMe, only to brick the system as my clumsy retarded ass accidentally held down the power button while bridging SL1. Good thing I had a spare NTR-001 without two broken LCD's that I was able to salvage the motherboard from.

Reactions: Friendsxix

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Funny thing is, I did try to install FlashMe, only to brick the system as my clumsy retarded ass accidentally held down the power button while bridging SL1. Good thing I had a spare NTR-001 without two broken LCD's that I was able to salvage the motherboard from.

I bricked two DS also this way since the flashme process is a bit tricky.

But I think if you managed to pass at least the 1% while flashme is installing, a small bootstub is set, so the bricked DS can bootstrap slot 1 carts.
(don't remember if slot2 as well)

Last edited by Coto,

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe try again, being more careful this time?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So a friend gave me an old DS phat in great condition. However starting Pictochat, Settings, or DS Download Play automatically causes the system to freeze. The WiFi card is not damaged because I have connected to the internet using multiple commercial games/homebrew applications without a problem.

I tried removing the battery to reset the system to it's default settings, but it would just freeze on the "Nintendo DS" screen, with a bottom white screen after doing so. Funny enough, I was able to re-setup the system and was even able to access Pictochat, Settings, and DLP using the "firmware.nds" (essentially the NDS OS in SRL/executable format) from a flashcart.

Is there some definitive way to wipe a DS's memory altogether? Maybe a homebrew application can do the trick? Thanks!
It does sound like the firmware is corrupted. The only way I'm aware of to rewrite the firmware completely is with FlashMe. Just be extra careful this time. I used a q-tip cut in half wrapped in tin foil and tape around the outside so only a tiny area has exposed metal, to reduce the risk of accidental shorts. But that was on a DS Phat, I hear Lites are a lot trickier because the point that will shut off the DS is much closer than it is on Phats.
Have you tried installing flashme? Not sure how much if if FW it replaces but maybe worth a shot
It does replace the entire firmware to my knowledge.

Cmdutka86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What would we do without spares eh?

How far did it get into flashing Flashme ? As mentioned above it still maybe possible to recover if enough was flashed to boot slot 1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol