Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

DScent alpha 4
Port of Descent

dscent.jpg
kayvenm has released alpha 4 of their port of Descent to the Nintendo DS.[title:DScent alpha 4 by kayvenm]Well, it’s been a while since the last release, almost 2 months. Various real life stuff happened but here we are, alpha 4 !

New features :

* Music ! (make sure to put the midi.nfs file with your other descent files)
* Press start + select to switch between the hud and keyboard while in-game, can be used to enter cheats. (Switching is a bit tricky, I know)

* You can now move all the games files to the dscent directory (this is optional)

Bug fixes :

* Fixed a crash that happened on the automap

* Fixed the exception screen, now it will display text properly instead of just a red and white screen

* Not tested, but I rewrote the save game writing code for those who were having corrupted save games, please post feed back

There’s probably other stuff I’ve forgotten to write down in my notes
download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Home page

D

Deleted_11405

woooh lol rare way to explore in a box = ) like how to responce on the motion behind the frame, bet the rate is very normal
smile.gif

Altamira

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
when I boot the game I get the message:

error: cannot open file descent.tex or descent.txb

I have a supercard ds one and the newest firmware and loader.

Zorn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I can't load levels. The game freezes or a error appears.
Which files do I need? all from the PC descent folder? i have a SC sd

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the official PC game around here somewhere......

Is there instructions on what files are needed from the disk to play this on the net somewhere? Link?

How much space does a completed setup of this game take up on the flashcard?

King[NL]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
just install descent pc version first.
Then update it from 1.0 to 1.4a.
After that, you update it further from 1.4a to 1.5

Now the only thing you still have to do is copy the descent.hog and descent.pig file from your descent folder on your pc to the root folder of your flashcard.
You should also not forget to dldi patch the descent.nds romfile. (make sure all the files in the rarfile are copied to your flashcart's rootfolder)

Install takes max 15 mb's on your flashcard.

Smiler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Where is the midi.nfs file? I have two copies of descent installed on my computer (one for the d2x source port, one for dosbox) and I can't find the file anywhere.

edit: Oops, someone didn't check the zip the DS file came in. -______-

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dammit! I still can't find the Descent 1 disk..........screw it, I'm P2P'ing D1, 2 and 3. Biatch!

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude updated the file again. It's alpha 4.1 now.

I finally found my Descent disk, installed it and updated to 1.4a, then 1.5. I copy the descent.hog and .pig files into a folder called DScent along with all the files in the dudes download, run the game and get an error about some text file only having 555 lines instead of the expected 621. What am I doing wrong?

Is it seeing the lemmingsds_config.txt file and trying to use that or something?

I didn't DLDI patch the DScent.nds file since the R4 auto patches DLDI. Is that the problem?

EDIT: Got it working.....don't know what the issue was, but it's working now. Very nice! Pretty amazing how well it runs.

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another update.....alpha 4.1 corrupted my microSD. After playing DScent until about level 5, I shut down. Later, when I loaded it back up, the R4 hung at the loading screen _DS_MENU.DAT and/or _DS_MENU.SYS was corrupted. I also found that theme09 got corrupted. There may have been other corruptions, but I reformatted the card and loaded my backup back into it.

First time I ever had card corruption....hope he fixes the issue soon. The game was a blast to play on the DS and ran amazingly well......except for the corruption thing.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx Rayder, it was because of you that i found this. (you mentioned it in another topic).

and one VERY IMPORTANT THING FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE CRASHES:

DECREASE THE MUSIC VOLUME TO THE MINIMUM!

that line took me two days to find out, but its damn worth it!

confirmed to work on G6 Lite too.

another thing, if you try to play it again and try to reduce volume, the slider will stay at last setting, try putting it up and then put the slider down or it will play the music like normal (its a bug)

this is one of BEST HOMEBREWS, yes in capital, but he stopped working on it from August, it seems that its regular that he stops working for a month or so, but i'm getting a little paranoid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: