Gaming DSi beyond repair - NAND Switch possible?

pikpol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello,

So my DSi isn't functioning for I think three years or so. Everything pointed to the fuses being blown.
So I tried replacing them, but after that didn't work I just bridged the connections.
I didn't have a multimeter at that time. Now I have and I checked the bridges. They are just fine, but the DSi still doesn't turn on.
In the past it rarely would flash a millisecond blue. When trying to charge it, the orange light would come on for about or second.
So it still points to the fuses being blown, but since those fuses aren't there anymore and the bridges being okay, I don't know what it could be anymore.

Therefore I want to ask if it is possible to dump the NAND and write it to a second DSi.
Since there are many NAND tools nowadays, I would guess it's at least possible to a certain extend.
Like dumping it with a hardmod wouldn't be a problem right? Even though it can't power on.
Also I read about the CID which is needed. Now I copied some of the DSiWare which was on there to my 3DS when it still worked.
Would it be possible to obtain the CID from those DSiWare titles?

I am just very disappointed this happened. For me, it never happened before with a Nintendo console. I really want to bring it back to life, but I think I fried something because of the bridged connections I made.
If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

BTW, to help illustrate the problem a bit more. This guy has the exact same problem with a DSi XL. But he just sent it in to Nintendo back then.

Itzumi

tinkerer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i'm not wrong here, I believe the system has to be turned on for the hardmod to dump (though I may just be thinking of the 3ds hardmod thingy.)
So you might be out of luck if you can't get it to power on, which it sounds like you can't.

Reactions: pikpol

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You could power the nand externally (since it's most likely in parallel with other things, the standard SD reader power output may be insufficient; and of course you'd need to find the pin on the console!)

CID can be read with any compatible SD drive, it's ConsoleID that needs an exported DSiware (or you can bruteforce it)... but why not just find someone else's nand+cid+consoleid online, unless you're after data recovery?

And no, as I've just said in another topic, you can't directly use a different console's nand (if at all, lacking a tool like GM9 that would convert and resign console-specific files)

Reactions: Itzumi and pikpol

pikpol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You could power the nand externally (since it's most likely in parallel with other things, the standard SD reader power output may be insufficient; and of course you'd need to find the pin on the console!)

CID can be read with any compatible SD drive, it's ConsoleID that needs an exported DSiware (or you can bruteforce it)... but why not just find someone else's nand+cid+consoleid online, unless you're after data recovery?

And no, as I've just said in another topic, you can't directly use a different console's nand (if at all, lacking a tool like GM9 that would convert and resign console-specific files)

So if I understand it correctly. I am able to get the NAND and the CID from the unit itself, even though it doesn't turn on. The ConsoleID needs exported DSiWare, though it can be bruteforced.

Yes I am after data recovery. I still had a couple games on there and my flipnote id was on there, which is needed to get my flipnotes back.

So just in theory, it would be easier to clone the NAND to another system, or solder the NAND chip and the other necessary ones to another DSi.
But this isn't possible you say, as the files need to be resigned. Which makes sense of course.

I can imagine it is therefore not possible to get all stuff back? For example, to get the flipnote id back, it would need to be run on another DSi to look it up inside the application itself. As I think it wouldn't be possible to find it back in the NAND dump, or at least it would be very hard and intensive work to get it back.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For example, to get the flipnote id back, it would need to be run on another DSi to look it up inside the application itself. As I think it wouldn't be possible to find it back in the NAND dump, or at least it would be very hard and intensive work to get it back.
You can't use the whole backup, but you can extract individual apps' saves and copy those to another moddable console with those apps installed... or you can just run the backup of your console in NO$GBA :)

Reactions: Itzumi and pikpol

pikpol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can't use the whole backup, but you can extract individual apps' saves and copy those to another moddable console with those apps installed... or you can just run the backup of your console in NO$GBA :)
This would make it possible to get everything back, wouldn't it? Then I may buy a new DSi, hack it and then copy the stuff back. That would be great!
Still a bit sad my current DSi died on me though.

And I am not able to get an answer to the question if I can use DSiWare which was transferred to a 3DS for the ConsoleID, Do you know if it works?

Last edited by pikpol, , Reason: solved already

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Wholesome, welcome