Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
DSTT in-house! Pics and first impressions
DSTopToy first impressions
IMG_5536T.jpg

GBAtemp is proud is bring you some first impressions and pictures of the new SDHC enabled DS flash card, the DSTT!

This is the original TopToy flash card and not the Team Neo variation. This pack comes with both the DSTT 'Rumble Pak' and 'GBA & Explorer Pak'. We've put the card through its paces and have some initial impressions of the quality and performance, which you can check out in this topic. For a more detailed look at the card please wait for the GBAtemp official review.

Feel free to ask questions you'd like answered about the DSTT inside.

icon11.gif
DSTT Impressions & Pics

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Pictures:

(A look at the DSTT card itself)

(A look at the GUI + game loading and soft reset)

First Impressions:

The DSTT card has a very solid build design. The card is white and the label has a shiny gloss. There is a slight bulge in the card however that makes it stick in the DS. Unlike the EZ-Flash V the chip is not simply under the label but is completely encased in the white plastic which is nice to see. The card may stick but it became slightly better after a few uses. It is certainly nothing major. The card looks and feels like a quality product.

The MicoSD slot is spring loaded, it works fine.

The GBA and Rumble cards fit perfectly flush with the GBA slot on the DS Lite unlike the very slight over hang the EZ 3in1 Pak has. The outside coat isn't glossy like the DS Lite but it still looks good when inserted.

The DS boots straight to the DSTT menu where you can select a game to play rather than to the normal DS menu. The interface isn't the prettiest thing around with the gray steel-like menu. However the card is easily skinnable as you just have to replace a few BMP files to create your own skins (I'm working on a GBAtemp theme at the moment).

There is a lot of information on the top screen when selecting a game, like name, size, save time, gamecode and the game icon. It's great to see the gamecode displayed along with the time for when the game was last saved.

On the bottom screen is a list of all the games on the card it's easily scrollable with either the touchscreen or d-pad. Pressing the + sign icon next to a game will bring you to some options which are saved for the game such as DMA mode, Softreset and Cheat, each with an on/off button. If you click the cheat bar you will get a list of cheats for the game you can enable on or off.

Going into system options you have the ability to enable soft reset on as default for all the games, start passme mode, start GBA mode, power off the system and toggle the brightness level.

The DSTT saves the save file of games directly to your microsd when you save in-game rather than to a battery. This means you will never loose saves from a battery running dry and also you won't have to wait for the previous save to be copied to the microsd when loading another game. This makes the DSTT menu speedy and easy to use.

FAQ:

How's the soft reset?

It runs perfectly for all the games I've tried. Hit L+R+A+B+X+Y to reset directly back to the DSTT menu. It's very quick.

What type of cheat files does the DSTT use?

It uses a USRCHEAT.dat file and is fully compatible with R4/M3 cheats. In fact the original cheat file has a lot of Chinese in it so I've copied the R4 one across and it works perfectly.

What is the rumble pak like compared to the EZ 3in1?

It has a good amount of strength and I find it to be a little quieter than the EZ 3in1. Although it's certainly still audible.

Do the extra paks always come in a mix of black/white?

I received two sets of the DSTT, one with both paks in white and one with one white, one black. I don't know if you can order certain colours of if it's just the luck of the draw.

What's the difference between the DSTT and the Team Neo version?

I'm not sure besides the different label. Sinkhead has confirmed the DSTT loader works fine on the Team Neo version of the card.

Is there DLDI support?

The DSTT has auto-dldi patching which means you'll never have to patch homebrew again. It works great for some of the homebrew I've tested.

What about Wii connectivity?

According to DjoeNtje Pokemon Battle Revolution doesn't work on the Team Neo version of the card.

What's the cable thing that's included in the box?

It's a USB DS Lite charger.

Does the DSTT support the EZ 3in1?

GBA game loading is supported using Rudolph's ExpPack Tool. RAM and rumble do not work natively.

What about GBA support with the DSTT GBA pak?

As someone else said the Ewin GBA loader works fine with the DSTT GBA pak. Grab it here.

No need to pre-patch GBA games at all, the GBA loader will do all that for you automatically. Works pretty well, just stick the loader on your card along with a few GBA games.

When first booting a GBA game the Ewin loader will load the game to the card then it will automatically patch the game then apply any save patches the game needs (it will auto-detect if it needs a patch or not). The second time you run the game it will just load the game to the card without going through all the patches as it's already done. It doesn't look like games can be kept on the GBA pak, they have to be loaded each time. Thankfully it's pretty quick loading. A 32mbit game loads in just a few seconds and a 128mbit game takes about 10.

Save files are written to the microSD card, no backing them up required when changing games and no fussing about. I'm really liking it so far.

---------------
Feel free to ask any questions and I'll add them to the FAQ. Cheers

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been using mine a bit (as Opium said) and I'm actually surprised! It seems like a good cart, one that could become a contender to R4/M3 Simply. It works really well straight from release, it supports standard save files and R4 cheat databases, it's easily skinnable and these expansion packs sound really interesting (but I didn't get any expansion packs, I have the NeoFlash version).
Let's hope it turns out to be good
biggrin.gif

- Sam

MrKuenning

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... Sounds too good to be true....

So if it boots streight to game list, I wonder about organization.

Folders, Homebrew... If it supports SDHC and you have a 6gb card with 400 games, will you have to just scroll them all?

Curious about Wii connectability.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Does it work with 3in1?
GBA&explorer pak = clean GBA support rom?
What is that USB cable for?

1. I tried out rumble using the 3in1 and it didn't work. I'll try out the opera browser and gba soon.
2. There doesn't appear to be any sort of GBA integration into the loader. I'm fiddling around with the GBA pak at the moment to see how it works.
3. No idea. One end is USB and i'm not sure what the other end is. It's not mini-usb.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Oh sweet. Just discovered what the USB cable is for. It's a USB charger for the DS Lite! Very nice. The cable is extendable.

*edit*

the EZ 3in1 pak doesn't work for rumble, RAM or GBA (without patching anything). I don't know if patches are required by other cards or not as I only ever used it with my EZ-V and it ran natively. Using Rudolphs 3in1 ExpPack Tool you can copy games to the 3in1 pak but they fail to load. The tool doesn't work for the GBA & Explorer pak that comes with the DSTT, nor does the DSTT GBA pak work as a RAM pak.

There must be some tool or future software for the GBA & Explorer pak because I can't figure out how to use it. The DSTT doesn't auto detect .gba files on your MicroSD. I'll have another fiddle around.

The the included Rumble pak works fine without any patching of any sort.

coollala

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I got my sample cart few days ago.

The cart is a bit thicker than the original game carts, which may cause some issues when plugging out it from the DS.
There is a builtin save convertor, all save files will be automatically converted to 512KB before launching the game. Another good news is that the 512KB savs are interchangable with the R4, so you could simply use the same MicroSD.

Edit:
8aknojq.jpg

the shell is not flat.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I heard he also has DS Lites to give away.

Build looks very solid. I got a question Opium. How fast do games load compared to your other cards?

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I heard he also has DS Lites to give away.

Build looks very solid. I got a question Opium. How fast do games load compared to your other cards?

They load very fast. 2 seconds or so. There's no having to fiddle about with writing saves to the card or copying them to the battery because saves are written directly to the microsd in-game, which speeds things up.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hm. The guy up there said similar to R4, but I'm fairly sure games don't take 2 seconds on the R4 most of the time. Regardless, these loading times are making my incoming SCDS1 sound shit LOL

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Hm. The guy up there said similar to R4, but I'm fairly sure games don't take 2 seconds on the R4 most of the time. Regardless, these loading times are making my incoming SCDS1 sound shit LOL

Games take a few more seconds to load the first time you play them because it needs to create a .sav files. But after that first time they only take around 2 seconds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond...