Hacking DSTwo: can iPlayer stream movies via wi-fi?

3xkrazy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm thinking about picking one up, but the ability for it to stream movies through a DLNA setup is a must. Modchipcentral retailer states that iplayer can "stream music and movies," but the offical description doesn't mention that.

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
i dont know if it can stream them but DSs wifi is really slow, its only 802.11b and max is 1Mbit IIRC

3xkrazy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, that's a bummer. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if development advances following Gateway's release.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The problem with streaming on the DS is mostly the dswifi lib - it doesn't take full advantage of the DS's wireless chip as far as I know and you only really get to use about 2mbps (according to the library's creator, info on the library can be read here). This transfer is further gimped by the speed of the DS's cartridge slot and then gimped the third time by buffering into RAM.

For all intents and purposes, streaming can be achieved on the DS... at speeds of a couple frames per second, as shown by VNC software available on the system or Costello's own DSHobro. It's not really possible to stream things like movies efficiently, music would work, but video? Not so much. It'd have to be heavily compressed or you'd have to buffer the entire stream to the SD card and then play it from there, but this'd take a lot of time and naturally wouldn't be "live" which is the whole point of streaming.

Reactions: Rydian

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yep most here in Ohio say pop. Oh oh yea I mean North Korea