Hardware Dual internet connection?

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 wifi connections within reach, and 2 network adapters. one connection is pretty decent, but the other is a bit below average. based off of what I know about how DHCP protocol works, (I don't know very much about it) I figured it shouldn't work because how a computer handles internet traffic, but was wondering just in case

(i.e: one program is used on one internet connection, the other I use for a large download)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You might struggle to do it on one piece of network hardware. Two wireless cards (or a wireless and an ethernet, or two ethernet if such motherboards still exist...) is a different matter.
This also ignores the option to merge the internet connections, or use a router in the traditional sense of the term* to create said connection, and maybe direct one program's internal network comms to use a given proxy or something. You then set it up such that the proxy goes to the network you want.

*bust open your 90s network comms book and after the discussion of the difference between a hub and a switch you will have the one for router which acts to join networks.

Going further you can also do some fairly creative things with virtual machines and networks (looks far more complex than it is and you certainly don't need to know all this to do what you want here https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html ), though in reality it would probably be a way to do a expensive in terms of resources (you are running a VM after all) proxy for when a program only uses system settings or does not even allow the option for proxy settings. That said it is not like you need oodles of RAM and CPU to run a light linux distro for high bandwidth downloads, whether you might get it down to comparable to a greedy Java torrent client I do not know but it should be within reason or indeed noise for a modern semi gaming grade machine like a lot around here run.

Option 2. One as a downlink and one as an uplink. Ignoring things like network/nic teaming (and because everybody likes to have their own names then LBFO in some Microsoft circles) I tend to only see this for things like satellite internet where you might have dialup for the upload but satellite for the download.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol not even for sale yet to public, and already sold out. I'd like to get one but ill wait for the hype to calm down.
    +1
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    I'm pretty sure I wasn't on GBAtemp at all yesterday, whenever I tried to go onto the website I got an unexpected database error
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We all teamed together and decided you needed a day off, so we blocked you.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No one expects the database errors!!!
    +2
    Hey a thought occurred to me... If they are unexpected database errors, are there expected database errors?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, that's just a pre-order term to make the product look better it's not sold out
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never expect a website to last 24/7 it's like section 8
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    good afternoon fellas
    +1
    Gotten tag!
    Gutten lol
    Autocorrect isn't always correct
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    however,sad news today, although idk if i can say it bc it relates to a rom site
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rom or Ram site? Cause there's a big difference
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    rom,like game files
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    know what? to paraphrase sonic: "no GBAtemp rule in the universe is gonna stop me"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    vimm's lair had to remove a bunch of games because of nintendo, sega, and lego
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Got taken down? Another one bites the dust
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not taken down, but had to remove a bunch of games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sirloin sounds good tonight
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah it does
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    RIP Vimm's Lair (most of the games anyway), you will be missed

also i think this is a great time and reason to bring back a hashtag previously used about ubisoft
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    #stopkillinggames
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    #mailmesomesirloinsteak
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: #mailmesomesirloinsteak