Tutorial  Updated

Play Super Mario Galaxy using the Wii U GamePad

Super Mario Galaxy 1 GamePad Hack

Attached is a modification of Super Hackio's Super Mario Galaxy Classic Controller hack, as seen on YouTube:

This version is suitable for use with Wii U VC injection for GamePad input. It is compatible with the four official releases of Super Mario Galaxy on Wii:
  • RMGE01 USA
  • RMGP01 Europe
  • RMGJ01 Japan
  • RMGK01 Korea
Note: Only USA and Europe versions have been tested by the author on hardware.

Getting this hack up and running on Wii U took a lot more effort than the Super Mario Galaxy 2 hack, because this hack is re-using an area in memory which is also used by the Gecko code handler. The Wii U VC version of this hack is made entirely with Gecko/Ocarina codes, so the Classic Controller hack had to be relocated in memory to prevent them clashing.

Requirements

To apply the patch, you will need the following:
  • Wiimm's wit
    if you don't know which version to download, you probably want Cygwin/64-bit (Windows)

• Wiimm's wstrt
    if you don't know which version to download, you probably want Cygwin/64-bit (Windows)

• any Wii VC injection tool, such as:

• a disc image of Super Mario Galaxy in any format supported by wit (ISO, WDF, WIA, CISO, WBFS)
    NKIT is not supported by wit​

Download

The attached archive includes the following files. The RMGx files come in four regional versions (E, P, J, K) and four preference variants (AllStars or Nvidia layout and standard or deflicker-filter disabled).

Mapping-SMG-AllStars.png Mapping-SMG-Nvidia.png

• Mapping-SMG-AllStars.png
    Super Hackio's instructional image showing the button layout you'll get if you use one of the All-Stars-style hacks, as seen above​

• Mapping-SMG-Nvidia.png
    Super Hackio's instructional image showing the button layout you'll get if you use one of the Nvidia-style hacks, as seen above​

• readme.txt
    basically this thread in plaintext​

• RMGx01.txt
    All of the codes from this modification in text form, in case they're useful to you​

• RMGx01-AllStars.gct
    a GCT (packaged up cheat file) which can be applied to your game's main.dol to give you the All-Stars layout​

• RMGx01-AllStars-RemoveDeflicker.gct
    identical to the above but also disables the deflicker filter which blurs the image slightly​

• RMGx01-Nvidia.gct
    a GCT which can be applied to your game's main.dol to give you the Nvidia layout​

• RMGx01-Nvidia-RemoveDeflicker.gct
    identical to the above but also disables the deflicker filter which blurs the image slightly​

Method

Consider running the wit and szs installers, it really makes both apps much easier to use.
You can also just type in all the paths manually if you don't have admin rights on your PC or just don't wish to install them. The rest of this guide will assume you have installed both apps. Adjust if necessary.​

Super Mario Galaxy is pretty finicky about what video modes it supports.
If you're on a PAL machine, you should probably inject the PAL game and vice versa. Otherwise, you may be able to work around the issue by using your injector's video mode patching features or modifying the vWii's video mode, but I'll leave that up to you.​
  1. Extract the Galaxy1GamePad archive into a directory with your Super Mario Galaxy disc image.
    For example:
    C:\Games\Wii\Hacking\SuperMarioGalaxy

2. Open a terminal/command prompt window in that directory.
    On modern versions of Windows, you can do this by opening a folder, clicking the address bar ...
    e.g. This PC > Local Disk (C) > Games, etc.​
    ... then typing cmd and pressing Enter.​

3. Unpack your Super Mario Galaxy disc image.
    For example:
    wit extract --psel=data "RMGE01.wbfs" Galaxy1GamePad
    If your disc image is named something else, replace RMGE01.wbfs with that file name.

4. Apply your chosen GCT file to your extracted main.dol file.
    For example:
    wstrt patch Galaxy1GamePad\sys\main.dol --add-section RMGE01-AllStars-RemoveDeflicker.gct
    Remember to replace the GCT filename with your region and variant.

5. Repackage your extracted Super Mario Galaxy folder into a disc image.
    For example:
    wit copy Galaxy1GamePad Galaxy1GamePad.wbfs

6. Using your newly patched Super Mario Galaxy disc image, create a Wii VC injection with Classic Controller emulation enabled.
    At this point, the process is the same as injecting any other game with Classic Controller support. You do not need the 'Force Classic Controller Connected' option, Classic Controller emulation is fine.​

Changelog

Added Japan and Korea versions​

Added Europe version​

Initial release​

Last edited by Vague Rant,

rocoloco321

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
will I be able to still use the wiimote + nunchuk when using this? or does this make the classic controller the only choice?

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
OP
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
will I be able to still use the wiimote + nunchuk when using this? or does this make the classic controller the only choice?

This hack unfortunately breaks the original Nunchuk controls. Only the GamePad or a Wii Classic Controller will work correctly. If you want to play with Nunchuk controls, you'll need to either keep a separate Wii VC title with the unmodified game or load it from disc, Wii mode USB loader, etc.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Working perfectly here, took me awhile to set everything up but once I got everything sorted it worked fine. (also using Rhythm Heaven Fever US as Base + US Super Mario Galaxy + Allstarts Deflicker.GCT)
Thank you very much @Vague Rant :)

One issue I found, you cant exit the game from the Home Menu :P Pressing Home works but once the Menu is open there's no way to move the cursor to select Wii Menu or Reset :) You cant use a Wiimote either it looks like, but still not a massive issue since you can always just turn off the Console with the Gamepads power button. :)

Last edited by ploggy,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
OP
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Working perfectly here, took me awhile to set everything up but once I got everything sorted it worked fine. (also using Rhythm Heaven Fever US as Base + US Super Mario Galaxy + Allstarts Deflicker.GCT)
Thank you very much @Vague Rant :)

One issue I found, you cant exit the game from the Home Menu :P Pressing Home works but once the Menu is open there's no way to move the cursor to select Wii Menu or Reset :) You cant use a Wiimote either it looks like, but still not a massive issue since you can always just turn off the Console with the Gamepads power button. :)

Great to hear it's working for you, that's at least two successes including me!

Indeed, the Home Button Menu handles input completely separate from the game itself and Super Hackio's original hack doesn't patch that, just the actual game inputs. As you say, you will need to just shut down the console when you're finished playing Galaxy.

Reactions: ploggy
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hi can anyone help me? I am trying to do this without any admin access I tried using the same commands as used in the post and it doesn't work. Instead it shows the error in command prompt:
'wstrt' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

I managed to extract the game however without admin rights using wii backup fusion (I think its called that). But now im stuck trying to figure out what commands i could use to patch the main.dol file without it printing the same error. Also im not to sure how to repackage it either using WBF (Wii backup fusion). Id really appreciate the help if someone could tell me how.

Also i probably wont repond on this account (my username shows). I dont use gbatemp enough sadly

Last edited by ThisIsAThrowawayAccount19,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
OP
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
hi can anyone help me? I am trying to do this without any admin access I tried using the same commands as used in the post and it doesn't work. Instead it shows the error in command prompt:

I managed to extract the game however without admin rights using wii backup fusion (I think its called that). But now im stuck trying to figure out what commands i could use to patch the main.dol file without it printing the same error. Also im not to sure how to repackage it either using WBF (Wii backup fusion). Id really appreciate the help if someone could tell me how.

Also i probably wont repond on this account (my username shows). I dont use gbatemp enough sadly

Hey, if you can't install wit/szs, you'll need to extract the archives somewhere then include that directory path when you reference them.

So for example, let's say you extract them into C:\Games\Wii\Tools. I'm not at PC to check the exact paths, but you'll then have something like C:\Games\Wii\Tools\wit-$VERSION\bin\wit.exe and C:\Games\Wii\Tools\szs-$VERSION\bin\wstrt.exe. So in the instructions where I say to do something like this:
wit extract --psel=data "RMGE01.wbfs" Galaxy1GamePad

... you will need to include the full path to wit.exe, like this:
"C:\Games\Wii\Tools\wit-$VERSION\bin\wit" extract --psel=data "RMGE01.wbfs" Galaxy1GamePad

... and similarly for wstrt:
"C:\Games\Wii\Tools\szs-$VERSION\bin\wstrt" patch Galaxy1GamePad\sys\main.dol --add-section RMGE01-AllStars-RemoveDeflicker.gct

Basically, because you don't have them installed, your PC has to be told where to locate them each time you try to use them. You'll need to check the exact paths where wit and wstrt are extracted to on your machine (just have a browse around in File Explorer); copy-pasting exactly what I said above won't work.

Last edited by Vague Rant,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Vague Rant I've got a report of the game crashing randomly on launch..
1698153826594.png

I haven't got a crash yet, but I haven't played too much and only launched it a couple times.
Post automatically merged:

I have managed to trigger the crash now too.

EDIT: I've tried 6 more times and 6 times it has crashed :/ weird it didn't crash on the first launch, luck or saves something on first launch?

Last edited by ploggy,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried to make a PAL inject but when I tried to load it it would just blackscreen :P (my fault I think)
I also tried to re create the NTSC inject with NTSC-PAL video mode enabled but again worked the first boot but would segfault the next boot.

I'll try to remake the PAL inject in the next few days and see if I messed up somewhere :P

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
OP
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I tried to make a PAL inject but when I tried to load it it would just blackscreen :P (my fault I think)
I also tried to re create the NTSC inject with NTSC-PAL video mode enabled but again worked the first boot but would segfault the next boot.

I'll try to remake the PAL inject in the next few days and see if I messed up somewhere :P

One thing that definitely causes a blackscreen is applying the RMGE01 GCT to RMGP01, I tried that when trying to replicate the crash dump issue you had above, but the "best" I could do was a black screen.

Definitely a weird issue though, I can't get it to fail on my end no matter what I try, with either NTSC or PAL versions. My console happily runs either.

• Love
Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One thing that definitely causes a blackscreen is applying the RMGE01 GCT to RMGP01, I tried that when trying to replicate the crash dump issue you had above, but the "best" I could do was a black screen.

Definitely a weird issue though, I can't get it to fail on my end no matter what I try, with either NTSC or PAL versions. My console happily runs either.
Yea, So, almost certain I used the wrong region GCT file on my PAL SMG Game that's why it blackscreen liked you suggested :/
After re doing the process with the correct GCT the game works fine, loaded a few times in a row to be sure too.
I think I must have copy/pasted the command without editing the region lol such a noob I am :P

Strange the NTSC version messes with PAL consoles tho and it works for you but not me an @Yamathedestroyer? tho it doesn't matter, just stick to your own region and all will be fine lol

Thank you again for taking the time to make this (and doing the other regions) ;)

Ewpb

Trophies
XP
Country

A reboot worked for me. Then wit worked in cmd in the Galaxy iso folder.
Post automatically merged:

Teconmoons injector just won't play ball! My old rig where it did is dead.

All I get now is an error about tmd.bin!

Last edited by Ewpb,

josiasdv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, here's what I tried and it failed once, booted normally once, and then kept failing:
- disc image of Super Mario Galaxy (WBFS) (RMGE01 USA)
- Cygwin/64-bit (Windows)Wiimm's wit (latest version)
- Cygwin/64-bit (Windows)Wiimm's wstrt (latest version)
- Windows 8.1
- TeconmoonWiiVCInjector
- RMGE01-AllStars-RemoveDeflicker.gct

...and here's what I tried and has booted successfully 6 times:
- disc image of Super Mario Galaxy (WBFS) (RMGE01 USA)
- Cygwin/64-bit (Windows)Wiimm's wit (latest version)
- Cygwin/64-bit (Windows)Wiimm's wstrt (latest version)
- Windows 10 (different computer)
- UWUVCI-AIO-WPF
- RMGE01-AllStars.gct

Anywho, so glad there are peoples out there like Vague Rant and Super Hackio!

Update:
Darn, it's failed to boot 3 times now with something similar to ploggy's picture.
I wonder if it's cause I'm on Tiramisu and 5.5.1. :unsure:
The SMG2 hack is still working fine.

Update:
After deleting the save file from the vwii side, and playing for a month. I think that was the issue. All seems to be working fine now.

Last edited by josiasdv,
Reactions: Ewpb and ploggy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Uncensored patch for Barbie games?