E3 2022 has been cancelled; ESA says event will return in 2023

e3.png

One of the gaming industry's highly anticipated yearly events, E3, has once again been cancelled. Following some early rumours, the ESA has confirmed that this year's E3, which was scheduled to be an online showcase, has indeed been cancelled.

An exact reason has not been shared but is likely due to issues related to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. And it appears that the ESA is focusing its efforts to come back for a (likely) physical event in 2023. In a statement to IGN, the ESA confirmed that E3 will return in 2023 with "a reinvigorated showcase".

"We will devote all our energy and resources to delivering a revitalized physical and digital E3 experience next summer. Whether enjoyed from the show floor or your favorite devices, the 2023 showcase will bring the community, media, and industry back together in an all-new format and interactive experience," the ESA told IGN. "We look forward to presenting E3 to fans around the world live from Los Angeles in 2023."

:arrow: SOURCE

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm really sad about that, usually E3 is the event of the year that excites me the most, besides it's an event that brings together all gamers, whether PC gamers or even fans of Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft, even though I'm from one platform I watched stuff from other platforms.

I hope the event comes back in full swing next year.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
E3 has been on a decline and it just needs to reform. It's like the Oscars of gaming. :(
Oh... Are the Oscars about trailers for upcoming movies now? And mostly 'new' as in sequels and such of blockbusters? (bridges of Madison County remastered! The prequel of citizen kane! Titanic 2!)

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An exact reason has not been shared but is likely due to issues related to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Oh GOOD GRIEF! This is all just a bunch of nonsense. Can we please act like adults now?

Eh, whatever. I say that E3 is no longer relevant anymore, and the fact that it's in California, one of the most restrictive states in the United States, is a reason not to participate in it anyway. E3 used to be fun, but now it's nothing but a series of disappointments. Even before the "pandemic", E3 was already going downhill, and it has only gotten worse since.

Unless E3 postpones itself yet again, I will NOT be watching next year's events! Anyone with me?

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If they were planning to do E3 online, I don't see how COVID has anything to do with its cancellation. Perhaps there wasn't enough big names gaming companies to join E3 since most of them can do their own digital events.

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
exactly what I was gonna post
there's always the ambiguity of time zones... it says April 1st here but technically that was said on March 31st over there in the USA... so yeah
I'll just go to sleep and wake up 2 days from now and ignore what happened in these 2 days
I didn't even consider this possibility as the news broke on March 31st for me XD like you said, time zones!

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They should bring back the old format of an hour long powerpoint presentation of pie charts and bar graphs for their sales and goals, with a trailer or two interspersed throughout. And I want the only way to be able to watch it is an audience member's shaky cam recording. The good ol days, lol.

Satellizer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They should bring back the old format of an hour long powerpoint presentation of pie charts and bar graphs for their sales and goals, with a trailer or two interspersed throughout. And I want the only way to be able to watch it is an audience member's shaky cam recording. The good ol days, lol.
Yes this is what the gamer community needs

Reactions: Aristeia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I got the Google Pixel Pro buds, they're good enough for when I need portable audio. And some...