E3 is happening this year, but will be digital-only, according to a report

e3-logo-656x371.jpg

Last year was the first instance of E3 not taking place during its usual week of early June, where it was instead replaced by a months-long event called Summer Game Fest. It looks like COVID-19 will still impact the conference this year as well, but according to a report, the show must go on. VGC has reported that they've seen insider documents from the ESA, which include plans to take E3 2021 digital. This online event would supposedly last three days and would feature major keynote livestreams from publishers, an awards show, and a game preview night, with smaller conferences from other companies scattered throughout the schedule. The ESA also has plans to distribute game demos to press, so that they would be able to cover new launches and games just as they would during a normal E3 show. Meanwhile, Geoff Keighly's Summer Game Fest is also planned to return in 2021, and will likely compete against E3's all-digital showcase.

:arrow: Source

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
regardless of the outcome, the bigger companies have already been trying to get out of E3 over the past few years. Nintendo switched to doing fully digital presentations rather than in person. Microsoft's event isn't even in the same building(building across the street). Sony straight up pulled out and rather present at their own event (PlayStation Experience).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Can't wait to ignore it like always and watch the good trailers/reveals at some point later.
I usually hit either youtube or here on the temp, because Chary usually keeps a live thread going on the front page.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Sucks for those who were able to regularly go in person. But as someone who has only ever experienced E3 online, I imagine the only difference will be no more obnoxious applause during the keynotes.
We longer have to deal with the losers who clap after EVERY DAMN THING Bethesda says

Reactions: James_

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
As someone who’s attended E3 for a few years, this is really disappointing. I know why, and it’s for the best, but man is it sad.

As for how E3 is seen by non media, I’m sure a lot of people consider the show to be irrelevant. And in many ways, it is. But smaller game studios no longer get that really important coverage that they might have during E3.

You get tired, walking around all day, or you don’t have any meetings, so you wander, and that’s when you run into the smaller indie booths with not many people there. You get real, one on one conversations with passionate devs, stories about how those games are made, why they’re doing what they’re doing. And usually those make their way into an article or some form of wrap up—I’ve both read and written plenty of them before 2020.

Not only that, but a lot of publishers werent good with putting out demos for their games during Summer Game Fest, so that’s less coverage from media, too. You can’t talk much about a game that only got a single trailer that everyone already saw. There’s less information being given to the consumer—and the companies can get away with hiding more of their games’ weaknesses behind cinematic trailers.

I really hope the ESA can handle an online E3. But I’m skeptical, given that they couldn’t handle hosting a secure webpage for their attendees and accidentally let every writer get doxxed...

We longer have to deal with the losers who clap after EVERY DAMN THING Bethesda says
EDIT: Being there for both them and Microsoft was hilarious. It was the SAME GUY every time. One guy on the left side of the auditorium. imagine having to listen to that howling live, with no ability to turn down the volume. I hope he was paid to do that cuz he must have ripped his vocal chords apart.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: Being there for both them and Microsoft was hilarious. It was the SAME GUY every time. One guy on the left side of the auditorium. imagine having to listen to that howling live, with no ability to turn down the volume. I hope he was paid to do that cuz he must have ripped his vocal chords apart.
I don't know if that makes it better or worse

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for how E3 is seen by non media, I’m sure a lot of people consider the show to be irrelevant. And in many ways, it is. But smaller game studios no longer get that really important coverage that they might have during E3.

I mean don't smaller devs get some coverage, namely at events like GDC, Indiecade and a lot more common now, PAX events. they never really needed e3 to do it, e3 was just a way to show it off when the bigger companies are showing off their stuff.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I mean don't smaller devs get some coverage, namely at events like GDC, Indiecade and a lot more common now, PAX events. they never really needed e3 to do it, e3 was just a way to show it off when the bigger companies are showing off their stuff.
Sure, and that’s a fair point. Though Indiecade needed E3 to make it relevant, before splitting off from it. Even then, while I’m sure it helps in terms of coverage, I still think most people, casual gamers, those vaguely interested, or people who play games but aren’t super into following coverage, tend to gloss over anything that isn’t E3 or PAX to a degree. E3 is such a constant thing that a lot of people know and look for specifically gaming related announcements during June. When something like an interview for Sakuna of Rice and Ruin gets second billing on IGN’s front page next to a teaser for Starbound, I think that helps a lot.

Even though companies pulled out, none of them really dared to change any of their coverage outside of that big mid June week. EA Play, Nintendo Direct, Sony’s weird offshoot, they all still broadcast during that time because everyone knows that’s the golden week of video game news.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'll wait for the list of announced games, and trailer videos, to be released. I've never paid to watch E3 or anything, since there's no real point.

Don't know why they still bother handing awards out, when they're not representative of any game's final quality; just the marketing bullshit they pump out for E3.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I imagine the only difference will be no more obnoxious applause during the keynotes.
I am sure they can add in a "via webcam" audience or dub in a clap track.

Not to mention I will be clapping loud enough when they mention a game will have achievements/trophies that you will hear me wherever you are in the world (even if I watch it days after the fact so I can watch it at 3x speed and skip the sports games).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1