EA stops making games for Nintendo Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksprat1990

Trophies
XP
Country
Are you trying to say that "Mass Effect" or "Dragon Age" stellar as series? Because in that case, the entire world disagrees.

Mass Effect started before EA bought them out. And personally, I don't care if the 'entire world' disagrees with me. They're good games. Amazing games? Not really.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I agree to disagree, how many people do you know that get a nintendo console for the multi platform games? People get Nintendo consoles for their gimmick experiences and their exclusives...

I can agree with you that bigger library is better, and I am not panicking about ea "not developing games for wii u" like many others for many reasons:
- ea is being a dick with all the publicity they are doing about the "bad" wii u after a disagreement they had with nintendo, seriously we have another "news" topic about ea not supporting wii u every week
- the wii u doesn't have any competition right now, just like the 3ds before... after the release of the ps4 and xbox 720 the real competition will start
- nintendo haven't released system sellers yet, and they have many planned already
- the wii u is the only console that is backwards compatible as far as we know and that is another selling
- nintendo can do the dick move they did with the 3ds and lower the price a month before the release of the next gen consoles
- the 3ds had the same problems "has no gaems, is too pricy" the first year, look at it now
- Nintendo is the innovator of the videogaming industry for some years, Sony and Microsoft are renovators
- ea likes money, right now the wii u isn't a selling point, but the moment that changes ea will start releasing games for the wii u

sports, sports, sports, sports,harry potter, sports, sports, sports, sports, sims, sports, sports, sports, sports, NFS

I am sorry, did I missed mass effect or dragon age that guild so much likes to point out?

Here's where your problem is, which you said yourself:

"people get nintendo consoles for their gimmick experiences and their exclusives..." The Wii had a market that was created primarily out of two kinds of people: 1. Core Nintendo gamers, 2. Exercising families. Now, the concept of exercising families has been eliminated, yet the features still allude to a device that's essentially for the entire family. Their "gimmick" (even I wouldn't call it a gimmick, since it looks extremely handy, so you used a derogatory term yourself) isn't a strong enough selling point, and their exclusives can't sell the system to the exercising families. Essentially, the demographics show that in comparison to the Wii, the PS3 and the X360 appeal to non-Nintendo core gamers, which Nintendo obviously looks to draw to their system judging from the specs. If they don't, they are left with core Nintendo gamers, the share of which is pretty small actually. They're looking to expand their core gaming audience.

That explains why the WiiU is an HD capable and powerful device. However, it's only a little bit more powerful than the PS3 and XBOX 360 at the moment, and once the PS4 and the next-gen XBOX are released, I fully expect their specs to blow the WiiU's out of the water. This essentially gives the people who would like to use the WiiU as a core gaming device little reason to do so. In several years, the WiiU will have to use their several year old hardware with few games on it to compete with devices that have stronger hardware and thus more incentive for developers to work on.

If the WiiU wants to succeed, it needs to start bringing in users now, and one way to do that is to allow them to play the same games they could get on a PS3 and XBOX 360 but with the better graphics and an overall smoother gameplay experience that you get on the WiiU. If it doesn't, it'll get massacred once the consoles with stronger specs and higher third party support start coming out. All it basically has are Nintendo games right now, and I don't think they can pull out another Wii Sports out of their ass because their selling feature doesn't call for anything like that. It calls for something like Nintendo Land, which isn't exactly a huge hit with anyone.

The drop from EA obviously signals the lack of strong 3rd Party Support for the WiiU which has been extremely evident these past few months. Even the 3DS had fairly strong support from 3rd Party Developers in the beginning, and combined with Nintendo's far more consistent development (which is probably easier to do on a medium specced handheld than the strongest console in the market) and the release of the 3DS XL, there were a lot of reasons why it eventually succeeded. The WiiU has almost none of that. You can only do so much with Mario, Zelda, and weirdly enough, Bayonetta. This thing needs some strong non-Nintendo exclusives (or even multi-platform games) to sell to people past their audience. I mean, look what happened when Persona 4 Golden was released. The PSVita's almost bare sales surged. It couldn't be sold on just Uncharted.

tl;dr, WiiU needs games from someone besides Nintendo, and EA is one of those it could've gotten games from, which is why this is bad overall, and anyone who says this isn't a bad thing is kidding themselves.

Reactions: chartube12

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh well I haven't played an ea game since the original dead space which I bought used. It's not even a boycott. I just don't have brand loyalty keeping me wanting their goods. But not making games for a console because of a lack of early popularity (millions of consoles should be regarded as a success but I digress) is the same as saying "I hate you too much to want to help you.". If good games come to the wiiu and if the marketing improved then this wouldn't be an issue but people seem too greedy to notice this.

Maybe when the other new consoles come out we will see ea rethink their strategy.

GeorgeFoulds

BrokenGeode
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh well, I got ma PC for Battlefield and anything Bioware related. I'm still kinda sore about the whole Rayman Legends thing with Ubisoft though, because Ubisoft's E3 conference was like this:

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not about not caring about anything EA has to offer, which I don't. It's about EA being a money grubbing, license whoring, unimaginative publisher whose interest is solely in the bottom line. There's no love or heart in their games, it's just mechanical to them. I can honestly say that not one EA game in that last 7 years has interested me one bit.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Meh who cares what these tards have to say anymore? They have been spelling doom and gloom for Nintendo for 15 years and they are still around. EA can keep wrecking their public image though.

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Different games appeal to different demographics, plain and simple. I like Need for Speed, Portal and the Mass Effect series a lot and I played a bit of Crysis, but the rest of them don't appeal to me. Others will have a different opinion, and I can respect that B-) I don't hate them, just not interested. Perhaps I can give them a try.

EA has made some games that I like, granted, but a majority of them aren't something I personally am interested in.

That's exactly how I feel!

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mass Effect started before EA bought them out. And personally, I don't care if the 'entire world' disagrees with me. They're good games. Amazing games? Not really.

I have played both franchises extensively, Dragon Age: Origins was pretty good, but much like Mass Effect, it isn't anything to write home about to be completely honest.

Does that mean inputting plays is better than some semblance of "real" control?
Also given the stupid amount of possible plays ( http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/0...ftware-cant-score-what-jean-segura-did-friday ) in various sports....

You know, an intelligent developer would see the Wii U Gamepad as a way of truly innovating sports games in a whole new way. With the advancement of computer AI in sports games, we aren't too far from being able to create your own plays as a method of strategy to winning a game. In football, the coach is always drawing up plays for the players on the field when it comes to forming lines and playing offensively or defensively. Who would honestly not want to play a sports game where you can literally control the outcome of a play because you can control the players themselves based on their assigned positions? Sure, it would probably be very difficult and would require advancing the level of AI so that they can comprehend the players commands. Baseball is more random due to the height, distance and speed at which a ball can be hit, as well as the variety of pitches and defensive plays that are made though.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, an intelligent developer would see the Wii U Gamepad as a way of truly innovating sports games in a whole new way. With the advancement of computer AI in sports games, we aren't too far from being able to create your own plays as a method of strategy to winning a game. In football, the coach is always drawing up plays for the players on the field when it comes to forming lines and playing offensively or defensively. Who would honestly not want to play a sports game where you can literally control the outcome of a play because you can control the players themselves based on their assigned positions? Sure, it would probably be very difficult and would require advancing the level of AI so that they can comprehend the players commands. Baseball is more random due to the height, distance and speed at which a ball can be hit, as well as the variety of pitches and defensive plays that are made though.

Yeah because innovation > sales right guys?

Oh wait that doesn't happen nevermind.

But yeah there's already like 3 major touchscreen devices on the market (smartphones, 3DS, and Vita) and if they REALLY wanted to, there's SmartGlass and Vita connectivity. Hell I thought I remembered them demoing Madden with SmartGlass at last year's E3. Back when SmartGlass seemed cool. Now I have it on my Galaxy S3 and it's fucking useless. But I digress.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
EA will be the ones missing out in the end when the WiiU gets some killer games and everyone wants one.
Then they'll be crawling back to Nintendo begging to develop games for them.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
EA will be the ones missing out in the end when the WiiU gets some killer games and everyone wants one.
Then they'll be crawling back to Nintendo begging to develop games for them.
"Damn bullies! When I grow up, I'm going to kick their butts, uh-huh! I'm gonna be biiiig and strooong and I'll show'em! ;O;"
"Shh... Calm down, Timmy... It's okay... No tears, just dreams now, come to mommy."

Reactions: chavosaur

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Still going strong.
Worst system reception in... how many years?

It's been half a year, we're no longer in launch phase, BTW.

EDIT: Hunted down the last of the stray T's.

Worst system reception? I am sorry but that goes to the PS3 and it's $600 price tag at launch and shitty games library for the first couple of years. How quickly people forget how much razzing Sony fanboys got for buying a console at a price that is considered extortion for a gaming system and it didn't have any games to boot. Also, the Vita is still a colossal failure too and it's been out for quite some time.

The Wii U has had shitty sales, we all know that, and the launch library has been terrible, we all know that. Developers crying over the power of a system or the fact that they have to design games differently from one system to another is no different then when the PS3 came out and developers were whining about how difficult it was to program for the Cell processor. Only now they are crying about the CPU not being powerful enough when they haven't even attempted to make games to the Wii U's maximum potential. HOW DO WE KNOW THE WII U ISN'T POWERFUL ENOUGH WHEN NO ONE HAS BOTHERED TO MAKE AND RELEASE A GAME AT THE SYSTEMS MAXIMUM POTENTIAL? Seriously, it's hilarious how much developers and fanboys alike try to make mountains out of mole hills and say shit that isn't true until the facts have been proven. And so far the Wii U is an unproven system with a lot to offer, maybe developers should stop shedding tears and get to work, maybe they will actually make some money if they put in the effort to make a good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/5zE3H65IDtM?si=cIVsTaWar9HofeR7