Earthworm Jim is getting a new game...as an exclusive on the Intellivision Amico

k6vB1by.png

Yet another franchise revival is on the way, as Earthworm Jim will be getting a brand new game, 25 years after the original release of the 90's classic. It's also a good reminder that the Intellivision Amico console is slated to release in October 2020, as this game will be launching as an exclusive to the platform. Bringing together the 10 members from the first game's development team, this will be the first time they'll have worked together on a project in over two decades.

A 20-minute livestream will occur on May 4th, where the team will explain a few more details about the game. Tommy Tallarico, composer for the series, current CEO of Intellivision, and the man behind the creation of the Amico, had this to say about the reveal of "Earthworm Jim 3"

We have been talking about this moment for many years, it’s a dream come true to finally get the entire team back together. We’re looking forward to sharing a small part of our reunion and initial design meeting with fans from around the world. Intellivision Amico is designed to bring friends and families together and we are excited for fans and those just being introduced to the series to get a first look as we kick-off the design of the game.

:arrow: Source

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Wow, didn't expect to see people being so negative about the Amico.

Even the generic gamepad I had for my PC games back on the Windows 95 era had more buttons than the Amico controller does.

If they are targeting 16-bit nostalgia like Earthworm Jim, then don't use a controller that looks designed for 8-bit Nes Era games. Remember the Gameboy Advance? One of the mayor conplains besides the lack of decent back light was the fact it didn't have enough buttons. Yet it was a loved 2D portable console with decent graphics save when they tried to port SNES stuff.

Take the Rayman for the GBA, a decent port of the first game if wth inferior graphics. Then look at the Donkey Kong County GBA port...

Anyway, there are plenty of generic designs they could have used that have enough buttons.

Earthworm Jim used a whip, a gun and jumped, good enough for the three buttons on a Sega Genesis. It was also quite hard, but a lot of games were quite hard back then.

Now how you can translate that on a controller that sucks? Badly that is.

Reactions: FateForWindows

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, didn't expect to see people being so negative about the Amico. It's justified, given our experience with the Atari VCS and the Coleco Chameleon. I have a little more faith in this, personally. There's a really competent team involved behind the scenes, a clear vision of the console and it's features (besides its cosmetics) and most importantly, it's not being rushed out the door.
Not to mention how open they are to developers. They're already giving developers (and those wishing to develop) a lot of information on the console and from the limited information I know this isn't going to end up like either one of those.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yeah, I've been defending this but I have to admit the controller is pretty terrible, especially with the scheme they talked about on the EWJ stream. Let's hope they improve it in at least some way.

Is not like some big company didn't have to change their controller already... Because tbe default one only worked for men with big hands.

Man is been so long already? I feel old.

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is not like some big company didn't have to change their controller already... Because tbe default one only worked for men with big hands.

Man is been so long already? I feel old.
Not just that, ever heard of the Atari 7800? Yeah, that controller got completely redesigned because the original was garbage. It wasn't as bad as the original 5200 controller (which the Amico has more in common with!), but the traditional gamepad is a massive improvement.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Not just that, ever heard of the Atari 7800? Yeah, that controller got completely redesigned because the original was garbage. It wasn't as bad as the original 5200 controller (which the Amico has more in common with!), but the traditional gamepad is a massive improvement.

The Atati controller was for 8 bit games but EWJ was a 16 bit game and it used almost every button on the controller.

Anyway, gonna try to find the PS1 Earth Worm Jim 2 and convert it to PSP format..

SnackJr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The buttons on the side isn't what I'd call practical either, but I think that's what the touchscreen is for. We won't know for sure until we see, but I'm still in the optimist crowd as of now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 11 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5...