GCN Easy way to hack a GameCube?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 33,123
  • Replies 11
D

Deleted User

OP
I have a GameCube and I'd Ike to use it, but I don't know of any simple hacks for the GC. Heck, do they even exist? Would it be possible to somehow run games via a HDD connected to GameCube?

I know, there's always the "GameCube Slim" though I'd like to try it on an actual GC.

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"WiSD" + Action Replay (2007?) + non-SDHC SD card.
wiisd.jpg ar.jpg sd.jpg

Last edited by zfreeman,

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's some stuff you can do, but a lot of it requires either the action replay disc with a wiikey adapter (which is just a memory card adapter for gamecube you can plug an SD card into) or a copy of smash bros and a modded savefile with the same adapter. Getting backups to run correctly is a royal pain in the ass, the few launcher apps available like swiss or gcos are picky about SD cards over 2GB, so if you're running a 1.2gb gc backup, it's one at a time and the down-ported apps from the wii homeberew versions like vbagx, hugo, fceux, and genplusgx run ok, but again you need a specific directory structure, and depending on how many roms you want to throw on there you run out of that 2gb upper limit pretty quick again.

You can swap in a larger SD card once you boot to your homebrew launcher, but you're pretty much swapping stuff back and forth whereas with a wii you can run from ~32GB SD or ~500GB usb disk or a wiiu, with a ~128GB SD card without needing to boot something off a 2 gb SD card first.

So again, you CAN do it, but I more or less did it years ago because it's what a I had to work with, now I prefer to use a wii or a wii u running nintendont.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
There's some stuff you can do, but a lot of it requires either the action replay disc with a wiikey adapter (which is just a memory card adapter for gamecube you can plug an SD card into) or a copy of smash bros and a modded savefile with the same adapter. Getting backups to run correctly is a royal pain in the ass, the few launcher apps available like swiss or gcos are picky about SD cards over 2GB, so if you're running a 1.2gb gc backup, it's one at a time and the down-ported apps from the wii homeberew versions like vbagx, hugo, fceux, and genplusgx run ok, but again you need a specific directory structure, and depending on how many roms you want to throw on there you run out of that 2gb upper limit pretty quick again.

You can swap in a larger SD card once you boot to your homebrew launcher, but you're pretty much swapping stuff back and forth whereas with a wii you can run from ~32GB SD or ~500GB usb disk or a wiiu, with a ~128GB SD card without needing to boot something off a 2 gb SD card first.

So again, you CAN do it, but I more or less did it years ago because it's what a I had to work with, now I prefer to use a wii or a wii u running nintendont.
Oh, man, that's a shame. I guess I'll just use my Wii then.

Is getting a GC chipped somewhat cheaper now, like, ballpark number?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a GameCube and I'd Ike to use it, but I don't know of any simple hacks for the GC. Heck, do they even exist? Would it be possible to somehow run games via a HDD connected to GameCube?

I know, there's always the "GameCube Slim" though I'd like to try it on an actual GC.
WTF is a "GameCube Slim" ?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if you get it chipped, I don't think there's an elegant way to pry the casing apart so that it can use full-size discs.
Disc burning is of the past get one the new solderless dive replacements and go SD

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use a Wii to install a savegame exploit on a Gamecube memory card, and that's the easiest way I know of to use homebrew on a stock GC. As far as playing backups though, I don't think there's any way of using a hard drive that doesn't have compatibility issues. For now, a modded Wii seems to be the better way of playing Gamecube backups.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For the most part a Wii (RVL-001 model with GC controller and Memory Card connectors) can do pretty much everything a GC can do. The most important advantage of a GC is the ability to use the Game Boy Player.

Swiss has become very good at using SD cards connected to the EXI-bus (either Memory Card slots or SD2SP2). Depending on the method you choose to load Swiss this can be tedious or easy. [GC-Forever] Booting Homebrew. I've had no issues with latest Swiss versions – currently using an exFAT formatted 64GB SD. Loading times are comparable to the disc drive and cutscenes seem to be working now. The 2GB limitation comes from the Datel software; the switching back and forth between SD and SD(HC|XC) is not needed when using other easily/cheaply available entrypoints (Save exploits, XenoGC and Swiss on DVD-R)

You probably want this but it's far from easy
A full optical drive emulator (GC Loader) is arguably the best method bypassing the need for the aging laser altogether. Since the new version eliminates the previously required soldering it is not hard to install. Only downside is that it is more expensive than other methods (but you get more for your money, too)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc