Emuparadise will no longer offer ROMs or warez

guOlR4A.png

For many years, people have referred to "the paradise site" as one of the best places to obtain ROMs of games. From the NES, to the GBA, to the PS2, and more, this site hosted thousands of games. Of course, doing so will bring about the ire of video game developers, and it appeared that Nintendo might have led to the site having to remove many of its ROMs from Nintendo systems as of last year. Now, after 18 years, things seem to be more dire, as Emuparadise will no longer host illegal content or ROMs. The site itself will still be around, and you'll be able to participate on their forums and download emulators, however all "warez" will be removed. The owner of the site plans to have Emuparadise be a retro gaming community, heavily changing how things have been for nearly two decades.

Many of you are aware that the situation with regards to emulation sites has been changing recently. What you probably don't know is that we at EmuParadise have been dealing with similar issues for all 18 years of our existence.

From receiving threatening letters in the early days to our hosts suddenly shutting down our servers due to complaints, we've seen it all. We've always complied with takedown requests but as you can see, that is no guarantee of anything.

I started EmuParadise 18 years ago because I never got to play many of these amazing retro games while growing up in India and I wanted other people to be able to experience them. Over the years, many folks have joined in and contributed to this vision and I think I can say that we've been successful in spreading our passion for retro games far and wide.

Through the years I've worked tirelessly with the rest of the EmuParadise team to ensure that everyone could get their fix of retro gaming. We've received thousands of emails from people telling us how happy they've been to rediscover and even share their childhood with the next generations in their families. We've had emails from soldiers at war saying that the only way they got through their days was to be lost in the retrogames that they played from when they were children. We've got emails from brothers who have lost their siblings to cancer and were able to find solace in playing the games they once did as children. There are countless stories like these.

It's been a long and beautiful journey with many ups and downs. When I started EmuParadise things could have gone either way. But right now the direction they are going in could not be more than clear.

So where does that leave us?

It's not worth it for us to risk potentially disastrous consequences. I cannot in good conscience risk the futures of our team members who have contributed to the site through the years. We run EmuParadise for the love of retro games and for you to be able to revisit those good times. Unfortunately, it's not possible right now to do so in a way that makes everyone happy and keeps us out of trouble.

This is an extremely emotional decision for me after running this site for so many years. But I believe it is the right thing for us at this point of time.

Thus, we have decided to make a new start. We will continue to be passionate retro gamers and will keep doing cool stuff around retro games. But you won't be able to get your games from here for now. Where we go with this is up to us and up to you.

We'll still have our emulators database, the community, and everything that comes along with that.

We have already made several plans of what is going to happen next. It's going to be a fun new beginning and there's going to be lots to come! We'd also love to hear from you in the comments about what you think we should do. But for now, we need to make this change. We've served the community for 18 glorious years and it's been a hell of a ride!

But every end is a new beginning and we're excited to find a way forward to continue being your #1 emulation destination.

Thank you for supporting us through this journey. We could not have done so much without you visiting us, telling your friends about us, uploading screenshots and descriptions, telling us when something was wrong, letting us know when we messed up, and more. Thank you for being a part of our community and encouraging us through all these years.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whatever you say. I don't need an excuse to download ROMs, I'm sick of trying to defend myself,
Are you mad bro?
This has nothing to do about feelings or what you fell is moral or not. This is about the law and right now, the law says that's not OK to host and make public roms that you don't have any right to them. So Nintendo has all the rights to ask them to stop using their material..

The general environment would have 100s of Mario, Sonic, etc rip-offs and maybe we'd see a lot less sequels because it wouldn't be worth it to invest into a mascot so heavily that could be effectively reused in 14 years. I mean, we effectively already see that sort of thing now on mobile, but it'd no longer be the case that people would seriously spend $60 for a game unless it seemed worth it.

You know what's the problem with that? You are not only going to see less sequels, but you are going to see a lot less of games... Why would a company invest money in a game that they are not going to be able to get profit after 14 years?? Why waste money??
This is not about the love for the Art of Video games, this about profit. Sony put a lot of money to make God of War, not because they say "Hey let's make an awesome so people can enjoy!!" they wanted money and they knew kratos could bring it

When WB bought the rights to Mortal Kombat they did it thinking in the profit they could get from it. New games, comics, tv series... even re selling older games... I will give you an example. One of my fav games is MK1, i used to play a lot with my old 486, but sadly i lost the floopy disc. About a month ago Gog put on sale MK1,2,3 so i got it (Yes i'm a sucker i should be entitled to get it for free...). WB got money from that sale and i bet that GoG sold a good amount of "MK1 till 3" Pack. Even if it is small ammount, it's pure profit, because they are just giving the file to gog from a 25 years old game and they got money from it.

You get great games, because the companies know they can profit from them. No Profit, then they will not invest money to make a game..

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know what's the problem with that? You are not only going to see less sequels, but you are going to see a lot less of games... Why would a company invest money in a game that they are not going to be able to get profit after 14 years?? Why waste money??

So you think most companies are investing money today so that in 14 years they can keep selling the game at $2 a pop? No, they're aiming to make back most their money in 3-4 years and invest it in yet another game to make even more money. Sure, it's nice for them to keep making money on old properties, but people aren't buying 14 year old games for $50-$60. Now remasters and the like might now fit in their considerations and sequels, but not sequel number 4 and plenty of games don't get a remaster because after 10 years there's just no fan base--or at least, not a large enough one.

This is not about the love for the Art of Video games, this about profit. Sony put a lot of money to make God of War, not because they say "Hey let's make an awesome so people can enjoy!!" they wanted money and they knew kratos could bring it

See above. If Sony knew it'd take them 14 years to make back most the money (inflation adjusted) for God of War, they'd never develop it.

When WB bought the rights to Mortal Kombat they did it thinking in the profit they could get from it. New games, comics, tv series... even re selling older games... I will give you an example. One of my fav games is MK1, i used to play a lot with my old 486, but sadly i lost the floopy disc. About a month ago Gog put on sale MK1,2,3 so i got it (Yes i'm a sucker i should be entitled to get it for free...). WB got money from that sale and i bet that GoG sold a good amount of "MK1 till 3" Pack. Even if it is small ammount, it's pure profit, because they are just giving the file to gog from a 25 years old game and they got money from it.

You can't have it both ways. If they're figuring they can still make a profit after 14 years, then that's part of their calculation on the development cost. It's not "pure profit" because it will be placed against some (small) percentage of the development cost that the continued profit is expected to offset.

But let's just go with it and say it's pure profit. That means it's free money they didn't really expect. More importantly, all that "pure profit" is also a societal loss because now we all have to pay a markup to WB that we'd otherwise not have to. Yes, in aggregate there's some worth to the whole game portfolio and there is some presumption of making some sort of money with it, but why should there be? The whole point of copyright is to encourage authors to make new works, not keep reselling old ones. If anything you'd be better off if WB was making MK 72 and you could just get MK 1-3 for free (or a nominal distribution fee if on disc) as they try to entice you to actually buy something new.

You get great games, because the companies know they can profit from them. No Profit, then they will not invest money to make a game..

No. You get great games because some games are great. A lot of games suck. The overlay between good games and games that turn a profit isn't clear. Further, companies really don't know if they will guaranteedly profit from a game, but many companies (like WB) try very hard to find formulas and standards so that every game is good enough that it's likely to profit. If anything, that's the hallmark of okay to good games, not great games. Games produced on an assembly line rarely are great.

Basically, even if we had short copyrights large companies tend to spend a lot of money to develop games along with large marketing campaigns to entice people to quickly recoup those development costs. Maybe that means more games? If you look at smaller developers, most aren't remotely able to look in the 10+ year time frame to hope to recoup costs on any single game, and while I don't doubt some might be making a lot of games in the hopes they can retire off the continued sales, I don't think that'd be a wise retirement strategy for most authors.

tl;dr - If you only want to frame it as shorter copyright == less profit for companies, then yes, probably. That doesn't mean we'd inherently have less games nor that we as a society would be worse off even if we had fewer games. It's too simple to try to pretend like only newly created works are worth anything and somehow create a tautology then that more money/copyright means more new, valuable games. There's a great worth in all the games that'd be made public domain because a good mean of them were one new and many are still great games.

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Partly, yes.

My point being, we're mostly talking about ol' cartridge games, right? The usually small, short little games with little to offer. Of course, it's not like we should forget these milestone games that shaped what we have today (such as Super Mario 64), but would we ever really lose those? Yeah, Nintendo is cracking down on the piracy, with no Virtual Console in sight (that I know of? Haven't really been following the Switch scene). True preservation of games is a good thing, but I just don't see why everyone makes such a big deal about some of this. We'll probably have these games around for a good long while, there's not really much to worry about from my point of view.

That's just how I see it though, you all have probably seen studies on these things or something. This post kinda lacks some logic but i'll put it here just to maybe give people another thought that I haven't seen yet.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So you think most companies are investing money today so that in 14 years they can keep selling the game at $2 a pop? No, they're aiming to make back most their money in 3-4 years and invest it in yet another game to make even more money. Sure, it's nice for them to keep making money on old properties, but people aren't buying 14 year old games for $50-$60. Now remasters and the like might now fit in their considerations and sequels, but not sequel number 4 and plenty of games don't get a remaster because after 10 years there's just no fan base--or at least, not a large enough one.

See above. If Sony knew it'd take them 14 years to make back most the money (inflation adjusted) for God of War, they'd never develop it.

You can't have it both ways. If they're figuring they can still make a profit after 14 years, then that's part of their calculation on the development cost. It's not "pure profit" because it will be placed against some (small) percentage of the development cost that the continued profit is expected to offset.

But let's just go with it and say it's pure profit. That means it's free money they didn't really expect. More importantly, all that "pure profit" is also a societal loss because now we all have to pay a markup to WB that we'd otherwise not have to. Yes, in aggregate there's some worth to the whole game portfolio and there is some presumption of making some sort of money with it, but why should there be? The whole point of copyright is to encourage authors to make new works, not keep reselling old ones. If anything you'd be better off if WB was making MK 72 and you could just get MK 1-3 for free (or a nominal distribution fee if on disc) as they try to entice you to actually buy something new.

No. You get great games because some games are great. A lot of games suck. The overlay between good games and games that turn a profit isn't clear. Further, companies really don't know if they will guaranteedly profit from a game, but many companies (like WB) try very hard to find formulas and standards so that every game is good enough that it's likely to profit. If anything, that's the hallmark of okay to good games, not great games. Games produced on an assembly line rarely are great.

Basically, even if we had short copyrights large companies tend to spend a lot of money to develop games along with large marketing campaigns to entice people to quickly recoup those development costs. Maybe that means more games? If you look at smaller developers, most aren't remotely able to look in the 10+ year time frame to hope to recoup costs on any single game, and while I don't doubt some might be making a lot of games in the hopes they can retire off the continued sales, I don't think that'd be a wise retirement strategy for most authors.

tl;dr - If you only want to frame it as shorter copyright == less profit for companies, then yes, probably. That doesn't mean we'd inherently have less games nor that we as a society would be worse off even if we had fewer games. It's too simple to try to pretend like only newly created works are worth anything and somehow create a tautology then that more money/copyright means more new, valuable games. There's a great worth in all the games that'd be made public domain because a good mean of them were one new and many are still great games.

They are not making games to have profit only in 14 years, they are making money to have profit in the short and long term. They make want to have huge sales in the short term while the game is hot, but they also want money in the long term. It would reduce the price of a franchise.
Going to God of War, how much money do you think Sony may want to sell the rights for it?? I guess they would want a lot for it....
Now if the 14 years thing would be the norm, that means that in a mere year God of War would be in the Public domain, so Sony wouldn't really care that much about.

How much money did WB invest making the older MK, nothing. Whatever they paid for the franchise was thinking in the sales they could get for the new games. So it's profit they get from doing nothing other than having the rights to MK.

-"The whole point of copyright is to encourage authors to make new works, not keep reselling old ones"

Is not an encouragement to make new stuff, it is there so everyone knows it belongs to you and they must have your permission to use it in anyway.

-"No. You get great games because some games are great. A lot of games suck. The overlay between good games and games that turn a profit isn't clear. "

Great games cost money to make, usually you can't make a great game without money. Comapnies put money because they want profit now and in the long term. Let's milk the cow forever.

-"Basically, even if we had short copyrights large companies tend to spend a lot of money to develop games along with large marketing campaigns to entice people to quickly recoup those development costs. Maybe that means more games?"

No, it means we are going to get "Games produced on an assembly line rarely are great.". They would be making games sure, but they wouldn't expending so much money.
When big companies, make a game they do not think only in the short term profit but in the long run. That's how companies work.

-"If you only want to frame it as shorter copyright == less profit for companies,"

Why do you think that Copyright doesn't last only 14 years? Do you think that if someone propose to change the Copyright from 75 years to 14. Big companies from the media won't see it as a threat to their IP and the profit they make??? They would send all the lawyers they have and make lobby to stop it.

True preservation of games is a good thing, but I just don't see why everyone makes such a big deal about some of this. We'll probably have these games around for a good long while, there's not really much to worry about from my point of view.

Firstly because it was the main place they went to get warez and second because they can't see that
Emulation and Emulators are not in the same league as a site that host and make public roms without any authorization from their right holders.
If you go ask to every single emulator devs, if it is OK to download roms from the net, they would say NO.. You must get your own rom, from the media you own. Same goes for Bios, even they give you the software to dump it (you will need the hardware to do it).

Last edited by WildDog,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are not making games to have profit only in 14 years, they are making money to have profit in the short and long term. They make want to have huge sales in the short term while the game is hot, but they also want money in the long term. It would reduce the price of a franchise.

The question isn't if companies want to keep making money after 14 years. It's whether they'd bother to make the game in the first place if they couldn't make money from a game after 14 years.

Going to God of War, how much money do you think Sony may want to sell the rights for it?? I guess they would want a lot for it....

Sony may want to sell the rights to God of War, but fundamentally they have to develop the series to have any rights to sell. Further, the series (ie, multiple games) has to sell well or no one would want to buy the rights to the games. The only thing Sony is selling really is the exclusivity of making more games in the franchise. Yet the reason people should buy games in a series is presumably because the creative authors/developers of that series continue to produce high quality games in that series, which you don't fundamentally get by selling off the franchise to others or from 20 other companies making clones when the copyright expires.

Put simply, selling rights to a game doesn't make a lot of sense anyways, so encouraging that as some sort of desperate attempt for games to be made is absurd.

Now if the 14 years thing would be the norm, that means that in a mere year God of War would be in the Public domain, so Sony wouldn't really care that much about.

What are you talking about? God of War would be copyrighted for 14 years if copyright was 14 years.

How much money did WB invest making the older MK, nothing. Whatever they paid for the franchise was thinking in the sales they could get for the new games. So it's profit they get from doing nothing other than having the rights to MK.

So, WB instead of making new games decided to "invest" in old games for profit? That's not a good thing, really.

Is not an encouragement to make new stuff, it is there so everyone knows it belongs to you and they must have your permission to use it in anyway.

No, if all we cared about is the former we'd make proper attribution the law which actually isn't a requirement of copyright at all. The latter isn't really a thing as copyright is about the "right" to copy, not use, which is a frequent consternation of companies who want to forbid use of second hand games. More generally, trademark is separate from copyright and if we had a relatively short copyright people couldn't make "Mario" clones because of that. They could make "Lario" clones, though, through their own efforts.

Great games cost money to make, usually you can't make a great game without money. Comapnies put money because they want profit now and in the long term. Let's milk the cow forever.

Horrible games cost money to make. Just because a company may only make 50% the profit--I doubt it'd actually be anywhere this low in 99% of individual works but the 50% may apply for the whole--from a 14 year copyright doesn't mean suddenly they'd stop making "great games". That's the point. The major way the dynamic would likely change is the long-term profitable games could no longer be used to support all the games that are not very profitable or even have massive losses. But companies aren't making those games intentionally, so I don't see that radically changing what games companies try to make. I do see those companies that are currently not very profitable that rely upon long-term sale of retro games possibly going bankrupt, but then they're not being very productive companies anyways.

No, it means we are going to get "Games produced on an assembly line rarely are great.". They would be making games sure, but they wouldn't expending so much money.
When big companies, make a game they do not think only in the short term profit but in the long run. That's how companies work.

Actually, most big companies are having issues expending so much money already because of the absurd production costs of games. This is primarily where loot boxes, dlc, and micro-transactions have come from: companies realizing that $60/game isn't enough but too afraid to unilaterally raise their price and potentially alienate customers. With multi-million dollar flops possible, you're not relying upon anything long-term to keep the company solvent--except maybe trying to desperately sell off franchises.

Why do you think that Copyright doesn't last only 14 years? Do you think that if someone propose to change the Copyright from 75 years to 14. Big companies from the media won't see it as a threat to their IP and the profit they make??? They would send all the lawyers they have and make lobby to stop it.

So, we should support long copyright because it threatens company profits and big companies will send in the clowns^W lawyers? Or are you arguing the futility of trying to change copyright because lobbying has so warped democracy and good statesmanship in the US and the world that it's all pure corporatism now? If tomorrow companies could tax you to breathe, would you make arguments that those taxes are why we have more and better air?

The question isn't if companies would make more profit. The question is if we as a society advantage from such long-term exclusive control by individual authors/companies of works. Higher profit margins may allow for more expensive games, but that doesn't inherently mean better games or more games. If anything, less exclusivity would encourage more/better games through increased competition--that's basically the capitalists/free marketer jingle--at lower costs and lower prices. Add to that all the old, great works that society would benefit from having ready, free access to, and we as a society would be substantially better off.

PS - You may not realize this, but there's plenty of public domain books and music. Yet people mostly buy new works because (1) you can't really buy old works so that money invariably shuffles towards some form of entertainment like copyrighted works and (2) most 20+ year old works are considered dated so even with copyright few people buy them. Games and movies are some of the exceptions to the specificity of public domain since few to none are public domain, but it's trivial to look to other media to see a clear pattern: long-term profit may be nice but clearly it's the short to medium term sales and profit that drive further production of most works.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The question isn't if companies want to keep making money after 14 years. It's whether they'd bother to make the game in the first place if they couldn't make money from a game after 14 years.
Sony may want to sell the rights to God of War, but fundamentally they have to develop the series to have any rights to sell. Further, the series (ie, multiple games) has to sell well or no one would want to buy the rights to the games. The only thing Sony is selling really is the exclusivity of making more games in the franchise. Yet the reason people should buy games in a series is presumably because the creative authors/developers of that series continue to produce high quality games in that series, which you don't fundamentally get by selling off the franchise to others or from 20 other companies making clones when the copyright expires.
They develop the series because they know they have a long term money cow. Or do you think they wanted to game after the original God of War???
Put simply, selling rights to a game doesn't make a lot of sense anyways, so encouraging that as some sort of desperate attempt for games to be made is absurd.
Selling the right not, but they know in case of need or if they don't want it anymore they can sell it and get profit from it
So, WB instead of making new games decided to "invest" in old games for profit? That's not a good thing, really.
No, they invested in a Franchise, that could give them new games and a side profit, they can sell old stuff and get profit from it
What are you talking about? God of War would be copyrighted for 14 years if copyright was 14 years.
I know that... I was giving you an example.. God of war would be public domain in one year.
No, if all we cared about is the former we'd make proper attribution the law which actually isn't a requirement of copyright at all. The latter isn't really a thing as copyright is about the "right" to copy, not use, which is a frequent consternation of companies who want to forbid use of second hand games. More generally, trademark is separate from copyright and if we had a relatively short copyright people couldn't make "Mario" clones because of that. They could make "Lario" clones, though, through their own efforts.
So why waste money a great serie when i know that in 14 years people is going to rip my sucess?? Let's flood the market with cheap cookie cutter games and if the market crash let it be..
Why make a game like God of war if after more or less 4 games in the series, some people can release.
"Deity of War" Which follows the history of a Roman Soldier Catos who must fight the deity of war mars!!!
or "Unmapped terrority"
Horrible games cost money to make. Just because a company may only make 50% the profit--I doubt it'd actually be anywhere this low in 99% of individual works but the 50% may apply for the whole--from a 14 year copyright doesn't mean suddenly they'd stop making "great games". That's the point. The major way the dynamic would likely change is the long-term profitable games could no longer be used to support all the games that are not very profitable or even have massive losses. But companies aren't making those games intentionally, so I don't see that radically changing what games companies try to make. I do see those companies that are currently not very profitable that rely upon long-term sale of retro games possibly going bankrupt, but then they're not being very productive companies anyways.
See that is your mistake an Horrible games cost much less than a great game, yet those horrible games still make some money.
So, we should support long copyright because it threatens company profits and big companies will send in the clowns^W lawyers? Or are you arguing the futility of trying to change copyright because lobbying has so warped democracy and good statesmanship in the US and the world that it's all pure corporatism now? If tomorrow companies could tax you to breathe, would you make arguments that those taxes are why we have more and better air?
You are mixing things there, companies don't tax you the government tax you.
Here we are taling about privates companies that want to have a lucrative product. A product they made.
This has nothing to do if the society will be a better place or not. This is about making profit of a product.
The less profit they can make, they less money they will invest.
Think about MCU, they were planning about 10 years or more of movies... Companies like to think in long term.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So why waste money a great serie when i know that in 14 years people is going to rip my sucess?? Let's flood the market with cheap cookie cutter games and if the market crash let it be..

Because you'll have 14 years of success and profit? Because you're not a one-trick pony and after 14 years most franchises going out to pasture isn't a bad thing? Because even with copyright people can clone a lot of what God of War is but by 14 years in, one would hope the franchised has evolved that it's not just a cheap cookie cutter of the original so you still fundamentally have a lock on the franchise so long as you keep making quality games?

Seriously, even with long copyrights we have tons of cheap cookie cutter games because for some that's profitable. Yet people spend 60x+ as much on higher quality* games. If copyright lasted a day or a year, maybe that'd change. But 14 years is a decently long time and most things, again, recoup their costs (if they ever do) in 3-5 years. A copyright term five times that isn't going to cripple the market for high quality* games.

I know that... I was giving you an example.. God of war would be public domain in one year.

Ah, now I understand. You make that sound like a bad thing? I've never played any of the God of War games and honestly am not interested in them. If one were public domain, though, maybe I'd take an interest in them? Maybe if I ended up liking it, I'd end up buying a newer one that was still copyrighted? Honestly, I like most people have finite funds. Short of piracy, there's no reasonable way I'll play most copyrighted "great" games--I presume you keep using God of War as an example because you think it great--because I don't begin to have the money to buy them.

Further, I'm unlikely to take a chance on any game that costs $60 unless I've somehow had first hand experience that it's worthwhile. Maybe there was a God of War sale (don't even have a PS1/2/3/4 so there's a whole library of games that are up for grabs for me experiencing) that'd make it worthwhile to try? *shrug*

The point really is that except for specific games from the past I'm familiar with as great games, there's nothing really motivating me to think that any author "deserves" compensation 14 years later. Even for those I'm aware of, with rare exception those authors have already been well compensated for their efforts over 14 years. For those that have not been well compensated, clearly copyright as a system has failed and its great length has done nothing to solve such edge cases.

See that is your mistake an Horrible games cost much less than a great game, yet those horrible games still make some money.

Yes and no. If you're talking about absolutely horrible games with near zero production cost, then yes a lot of horrible games can make a profit even if there were no copyright. But there's also plenty of horrible or at least incredibly mediocre multi-million dollar games that were entirely flops. Being high quality* doesn't, again, inherently mean good or great games let alone profitable games.

It's clear most companies are taking the Hollywood model: develop a lot of big budget projects with high production costs and in aggregate hope that in less than a decade you'll recoup the losses from the winners because you honestly don't know what sort of game or design will be profitable. Well, that system works with a 14 year time frame.

You are mixing things there, companies don't tax you the government tax you.

Copyright is a government enforced, though courts, system of allowing third parties to extract money from you with potential punitive damages like prison time. Without copyright, the only rights these third parties would have to extract money from you is convincing you to buy a copy of something from them, whether they were the original creator or not would be secondary, and anyone could attempt to undercut their asking price. Perhaps you don't want to call it a tax because the government isn't the receiver the funds, but it's very much a government created and enforced property, not some sort of inherent one**.

Here we are taling about privates companies that want to have a lucrative product. A product they made.
This has nothing to do if the society will be a better place or not. This is about making profit of a product.
The less profit they can make, they less money they will invest.

Well, if it has nothing to do with society being a better place, then government shouldn't really be involved in copyright at all. But to the final point, you're turning this into a simple, ludicrous tautology. Companies always want more profit. They don't create products out of thin air but by expanding on the ideas of others--almost all most fundamental used the shared thing call language. Their existent then can further enrich society to produce other ideas. As an example, God of War.

If one company or person can benefit from the collective ideas of society/other companies, why shouldn't others benefit from that company as well? Is there something so absolutely genius and unique about the creative work of one that they deserve a life-time of exclusivity? Maybe in very instances they deserve substantial recognition, but is beyond inane to treat creators as if what they produce is of the sort that they literally deserve the right to dictate to others how they may expand upon ideas they introduced or changed indefinitely.

If they're producing a product, it sold, it made a profit, and they can keep making more, then they clearly are able to invest enough. It's not, generally, the case that a margin increase in profit will make those games better and the marketplace will and can only bare so many games at a time of high price because everyone is of limited income, interest in games, and time to enjoy them. Again, it's not a simple tautology.

Think about MCU, they were planning about 10 years or more of movies... Companies like to think in long term.

MCU is a great example of horrible movies, but then that's obviously my opinion; from a profit perspective they're great movies, and clearly that's all MCU really cares about. Regardless, what drives MCU and the like is large box office sales, not 14 year copyrights on individual works; it's obviously something they enjoy, though. Yes, it's possible if copyright were 14 years long MCU would have long ago died because they ran out of creative ideas***, but that's honestly a good thing IMO. If they managed to survive, though, each film would presumably build off the last and even though the first would expire 4 years after the last one wouldn't meaning impact sales. The franchise would live on with new ideas, new characters (or well written, trademarked old ones), and those that wish to clone them would just like they already do.

I think I'm finished respond upon this line of discussion for now. Clearly you have very different views of what copyright is and should be. I do not believe that people should be able to own ideas or representation of those ideas indefinitely. The value of nearly any good idea is that it is spread and is used. Often reinterpretation from a different perspective produced the most useful insight. If a person really values their idea and wants it not to spread, they should keep it to themselves and not try to inflict upon society life-time plus draconian copy right rules. I can appreciate copyright being a compromise and not a perfect one, but I see copyright as it stands to be a farce.

* Quality here means production costs, not necessarily anything else.

** And this could be side tracked into a whole discussion about property rights in general, but suffice it to say that property is a rival good and copyrighted works are not (inherently, anyways), so they're very different things.

*** Even a cursory glance through MC history is once of trying to be creative and introducing new properties, but I honestly find that most of the good super hero/anti-hero/villain/anti-villain stories have run their course.

HiEmux

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
I know it's where I went any time I read about an interesting Japanese cult classic PSX or SNES title on HG101.
The HiGhway to Paradise... It really felt like going back in time, even though I'm pretty new to emulation and retro gaming..

Those are people that have a very good income to actually put into these kind of things.
Collector's usually have way too much money on their hands to actually collect things which tend to be high value.
90% of the people won't have that kind of money nor effort, but sure, go for that as an example.
And physical stuff has a cycle of life too, it will wear out over time, not to mention CD's are so easy to scratch, and hardware gets eaten over time due to moisture.
Not to mention, collecting digitalstuff is different than physical objects; you can enjoy coin collections, paintings etc. by simply watching it as a sole object; but can you actually experience games (or movies or music...) buy watching the box (or disc or whatever)? And from what I know, collectors aren't great at sharing.

Agreed, reduce the time to 40 years, that's a lot more reasonable IMO :P Being overly litigious with no real good reason, other than "just because" is absolute bullshit XD
Heck even 10 years is a lot, how many games actually profit after even five? In 75 years, there will be a new generation; which is way more plausible to expect to pay, than the same guy paying everytime he wants a working copy of his favorite game (or whatever) while he's alive.

Why make a game like God of war if after more or less 4 games in the series, some people can release "Deity of War" Which follows the history of a Roman Soldier Catos who must fight the deity of war mars!!!
And people will buy this DoW just as much right?

And to all those who point SEGA out, positively or not, rip SORR.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think I'm finished respond upon this line of discussion for now. Clearly you have very different views of what copyright is and should be. I do not believe that people should be able to own ideas or representation of those ideas indefinitely. The value of nearly any good idea is that it is spread and is used. Often reinterpretation from a different perspective produced the most useful insight. If a person really values their idea and wants it not to spread, they should keep it to themselves and not try to inflict upon society life-time plus draconian copy right rules. I can appreciate copyright being a compromise and not a perfect one, but I see copyright as it stands to be a farce.

You keep mixing things, Most of the companies in the VG(if not all) they are looking for profit.
They don't care about making a better world or to see if there is someone that can expand their game universe in a positive way. They want MONEY.
Sony based their God of Wars series in public domain myths, YES and those thing are still free to use. Like Zeus, Hades,etc but the things that Sony made using their money and time belongs to them.

Copyright is there to protect the author and make sure he/she/them can profit from it. It also works as an incentivization for authors to keep making new stuff. You shorten the time they hold rigths to it. You start to disincentivize them.

For good or worst, Copyright is part of the core of the capitalism and it works.

And people will buy this DoW just as much right?
Is not about how many people will buy "Deity of War" instead of "God of War" even if "Deity of War" sells only 2 copies then Sony is already losing money. Oh but they are a filthy rich!!! So?

HiEmux

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Copyright is there to protect the author and make sure he/she/them can profit from it. It also works as an incentivization for authors to keep making new stuff. You shorten the time they hold rigths to it. You start to disincentivize them.
Not anymore, to quote yourself:
For good or worst, Copyright is part of the core of the capitalism and it works
So it doesn't "protect" the "author", just another mechanism to make the rich, richer.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not anymore, to quote yourself:

So it doesn't "protect" the "author", just another mechanism to make the rich, richer.
I fail to see how they contradict each other?
It protects the author from leechers that may want to profit of their ideas.
Yes the richer will be richer so?
It's a sin for a comapny to make a profit and generate tons of money?

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For everyone who want some ROMS from Emuparadise (I was having problems to find a reliable Sonic Jam ROM, for example), search for a Tampermonkey script in certain pirate subreddit that enables downloads again.
Do it as fast as you can, because we don't know if or when Emuparadise will be shutdown for good.

I would put the tutorial and links, but unfortunately GBATemp doesn't endorse piracy, so if anyone would like to do it, you should search it.

EDIT: I just tried some Super Nintendo and GBA ROMS and they're still online, only hidden, but we can download again all Nintendo stuff I presume.

Last edited by E1ite007,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I can imagine it would work fine