• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Ending drug prohibition in the US: How it can work

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maryjuanna (which will be legalised on july 2018) will be ruled by a branch of SAQ
Congratulations to Canada for taking a step in the right direction. Russia is being a little bitch about it breaking international treaties, but I don't see the G7 going to war with Canada over weed.

Anyway, things aren't going so well here south of the border. A local news station posted an article online about a medical examiner blaming the deaths of 5 Michigan residents on kratom. These are not the type of headlines I like to see. They conveniently fail to mention the recent recall that halted sales of kratom for quite some time due to salmonella. But that would interfere with their agenda. Can't ban a substance for being contaminated by salmonella at one point, or else there wouldn't be any food products ever.

Then there's little gems like this:
“People don’t know Kratom,” said Carol Genautis, Eric’s mom.

She wants to change that.

“I want to make people more aware of what Kratom is, and that it’s dangerous. Eric thought it was a safe drug because it’s legal.”

Genautis’ mom and sister want Michigan legislators to outlaw what they consider a deadly drug.

“We want this Kratom to be illegal, off the market,” said Osborn.
I understand it's hard to think rationally when a loved one dies, but there was a man whose son died from poppy seed tea, and instead of calling for poppy seeds to be banned, created a website on the safe use of poppy pod and seed teas. Unlike this stupid lady on TV a few years back calling for a caffeine ban because her college-age son died of an overdose of the powdered form. I'm sorry, but if someone is snorting powdered caffeine or ingesting an ungodly amount of raw plant matter then they qualify for a Darwin award.

Let's bring the statistics into play too: Throughout the entire USA, only 44 people have died with kratom in their system. Yes, in their system. There's been no conclusive proof that kratom was the sole cause of death. Most cases involve mixing it with true opioids. But that number is mind-boggling. 44 out of 325 million? That's 0.00001% of the population! You have a better chance of winning the powerball AND being struck by lightning twice in your lifetime than dying from kratom, and yet it's deadly and needs to be banned.

A Michigan senator is going to propose a bill to get it banned, and it's guaranteed to pass because politicians seem to think that anything that causes euphoria is automatically evil and needs to be regulated.

Last edited by Subtle Demise,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did they really?
Apparently so.

I guess anyone who really wants to put an end to this needs to do it at the international level. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to just withdraw from the treaties, but I have no idea what the ramifications would be for that, if any. I'll also make an argument for sovereignty and treaties like that threaten it.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently so.

I guess anyone who really wants to put an end to this needs to do it at the international level. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to just withdraw from the treaties, but I have no idea what the ramifications would be for that, if any. I'll also make an argument for sovereignty and treaties like that threaten it.
I agree with legalizing weed. But if they signed such a treaty, they should have done the proper way of withdrawing from it, instead of breaking the treaty.

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for legalization of marijuana for medical and recreational and decriminalize all other drugs, but if anyone have behavior problems in the public that caused by drugs, should commit to drug rehab center at their own expense, not taxpayer's money. There are too many people locked up in the jails and prisons for drug crimes, even in some states, anyone spend a life sentence in the prison for selling the drugs, that's intense if they didn't commit violent crime, combined with drug crime.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with legalizing weed. But if they signed such a treaty, they should have done the proper way of withdrawing from it, instead of breaking the treaty.
It's probably less political red tape to pass a bill in your homeland than to mess with international law. It would take years or decades to change the minds of people who still categorize marijuana as one of the most dangerous drugs ever.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard medical cannabis is already legalized in LA. One of my friends lives in Downtown Los Angeles and he told me that they have special marijuana dispensary service with fast delivery of the medical cannabis. I'm not against it on principle, we just need a reliable field-sobriety test and clear rules about driving under the influence.
It's legally medically in many states, and legal to use recreationally in a few. The problem is that it is still illegal at the Federal level, meaning that the DEA could organize a massive raid on all registered dispensaries and their patients/customers at any time.

Reactions: Noctosphere
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but only medical marijuana which gives no high effect. Strangely medical weed has millions of suporters, but government doesn't hurry to legalize it. Countries like Canada and Netherlands show positive impact of legalize on economics in general, why not just borrowing their experience ..
Lol dude. Michigan was a medical state long before we made recreational legal. I can say from experience that it does indeed get you high, in fact it's very potent. Maybe you're thinking of CBD oils?

Also, our old friend kratom was in the news again. Ohio made it illegal (an unelected government body and in opposition to public opinion) and started raiding people with SWAT teams over it. Also, the FDA is shadow banning it on a national level. They are seizing and destroying imports. How do they have the legal authority to do that? It's not a controlled substance in most places in the US and the world. The FDA needs their powers stripped back to their original purpose, and the DEA needs abolished completely, at this point by force if necessary. I'm tired of the shit. Let people do with their own bodies what they want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch +1