Engineering user modifies a Steam Deck to add the Switch's Joycon rails into it

snapshot.jpg

Technical wonders are always a delight to see, and the people with a know-how on engineering never cease to amaze with the amount of creativity that they can put into already-existing devices when the dire need requires it.

Reddit user, mrblackm123, is currently the owner of a Steam Deck, but started experience some issues on the controller side of the device. Due to the lack of replacement parts to fully repair the Steam Deck, the user opted to instead do something rather ingenious... to install a couple of Joycon rails (and Joycons) right into the Deck console, or rather, the stripped down tablet/motherboard of it without the controller sections.

The video showcases the Deck's tablet alone with the side rails installed, and then followed by the user promptly attaching the Joycons to the side of the Deck's table to start playing a variety of games with them, from using the Joycons to play Cyberpunk 2077, to Link's Awakening playing through emulation on the device.

The post itself is available on Reddit, under /r/Steam Deck. However, it seems the moderators of the subreddit might have mistaken the device for a Switch console of sorts, since they removed the post of the user. Hopefully the post itself can be reinstated once the mods realize their mistake.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
that's what happened to me the first time i played botw. so i slotted the useless things back in went and bought the pro controller and never looked back. i never got drift because i never used the fucking things ever again they are designed for little kids hands !
Everybody knows the joy-cons were designed for this guy.

Pickle_Rick

I'm a pickle Morty!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no way having the buttons be that far out can be anything near comfortable (let alone the D-Pad and the
You'd be very wrong. There's grips on the back and your thumbs naturally rest on the sticks. The dpad, abxy, and touchpads are laid out so you can swivel your thumb between them. Seriously. Hold one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0F1Qjn0Ac