Ryujinx adds LDN3 feature, allowing emulator users to play online with CFW Switch consoles

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png

The Ryujinx team has just added a major feature to their Nintendo Switch emulator. Builds with LDN3 are now available, which offer ldn_mitm support. This milestone allows Ryujinx users to play together with those on hacked Nintendo Switch systems running CFW. Normally, this would only function so long as users are both on the same network, but there's a workaround that you might be aware of: the switch-lan-play tool. There are guides available that can allow a computer to act as a host for an online game, allowing users to play a wide variety of games together, online, and now, regardless of whether or not you're on actual hardware or using an emulator. Lan-play supports lots of games, including the recently released Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.

Prior to this update, only games that had a "LAN mode" could communicate across Switch and PC hardware; this is unfortunate as only about a dozen or so titles actually support this feature. That barrier is removed with ldn_mitm. Games such as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, showcased above, can now achieve interconnectivity with a hacked Nintendo Switch when the ldn_mitm submodule is used.

That's not all, either; this latest build of Ryujinx also offers a big performance upgrade for those Pokemon titles, as well as making Splatoon 3 playable on AMD GPUs, and fixing Animal Crossing: New Horizons so that the intro can be played without having an existing save file.

The 'same network' is important here and is technically exploitable to allow long-distance communication, if you have a second PC lying around to act as the lan-play console host. It gets complicated fast with all the network jargon, but there is a guide up on lan-play's webpage if anyone is interested.

For most users, this feature simply enables all those non-LAN compatible games such as Animal Crossing, Super Smash Bros, Pokémon Scarlet/Violet, Mario Party and many other titles to connect to their PC (or Steam Deck!). On the other hand, if you're a professional network engineer and/or have a spare PC lying around, then we're sure you can think of some ingenious ideas!

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Switch-lan-play thread
:arrow: ldn_mitm thread
:arrow: Ryujinx emulator LDN3 build download

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
reading the article, this is actually super interesting!

would not be surprised though, if it somehow got taken down later on.
A massive stepup for Switch emulation. Should anyone be worried about getting banned online?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It really makes you wonder how long video game consoles will continue to last without being taken over by PCs
PC hardware is spiralling out of control. Xbox and PlayStation seem intent on following. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is the last remaining option for a lot of people who can't or don't want to spend stupid amounts of money. I actually hope they continue their philosophy on maximising potential at the cheaper end of hardware.

ciaomao

Well-Known Dude
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
PC hardware is spiralling out of control. Xbox and PlayStation seem intent on following. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is the last remaining option for a lot of people who can't or don't want to spend stupid amounts of money. I actually hope they continue their philosophy on maximising potential at the cheaper end of hardware.
we simply need more randel linden type of guys.
Its not only money but also the green aspect. the switch is like 15W in performance mode and xboxSX is like 30W in standby

Last edited by ciaomao,

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know Nintendo is stupid when their games run better on emulators than they do on their actual hardware.
So you are comparing a more powerful PC to a 2018 piece of portable hardware??? It's almost as if you hate the most successful gaming hardware company of all time and are looking for reasons to criticize them. And no, Switches still play Switch games better and more reliably than either of the emulators. But keep hating. It's worked so well for N-haters for the past 40 years.

Reactions: Plazorn

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm switching to a Radeon GPU when the Radeon 7900 XTX comes out. I haven't considered how it will do with emulation. Am I gonna have a lot of problems?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but big N is limited to the switch's $250~ hardware from 2017
They could have released a "Switch Pro" like so many were desperately waiting for it to be announced, only to be disappointed it was a new edition with an OLED screen, a LAN port, and 64GB of storage (?!).

Nintendo is really trying to do as little as possible when it comes to include storage.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm switching to a Radeon GPU when the Radeon 7900 XTX comes out. I haven't considered how it will do with emulation. Am I gonna have a lot of problems?
from what I've heard, most nintendo emulator in early stage starts with compatibility with intel CPU and Nvidia GPU
As for playstation and xbox emulator, i'm unaware about them
As for the Switch, I think it's advanced enough so you won't have too much problem with an AMD GPU

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So if you need to use a hacked Nintendo switch, does it use your console ID (generates the same risk of ban?)

A massive stepup for Switch emulation. Should anyone be worried about getting banned online?

+1 this is what I'm wondering

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,
Reactions: SylverReZ

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So if you need to use a hacked Nintendo switch, does it use your console ID (generates the same risk of ban?)

+1 this is what I'm wondering
It's explained in the links in the article and stuff.
You aren't playing on the actual Nintendo Online service, you are playing in a virtual lan. If you are familiar with hamachi, it's exactly like that. You don't need shit from your console (since you don't even need to own a Switch to begin with, if you're using Ryujinx). You just need to be in the same network as the people you are trying to play with, that's what lan-play is for

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It's explained in the links in the article and stuff.
You aren't playing on the actual Nintendo Online service, you are playing in a virtual lan. If you are familiar with hamachi, it's exactly like that. You don't need shit from your console (since you don't even need to own a Switch to begin with, if you're using Ryujinx). You just need to be in the same network as the people you are trying to play with, that's what lan-play is for

Gotcha so other Ryujinx users only

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Gotcha so other Ryujinx users only
No lol, you can absolutely play with switch users, that's why Ryujinx implemented that, that's the whole point. Otherwise they would have done something like Yuzu.

To be a bit more clear : lan-play isn't tied to « just Ryujinx » or anything. It's made to have modded consoles being able to play online between each other (or sometimes even with unmodded consoles). Now Ryujinx users can also join in.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
No lol, you can absolutely play with switch users, that's why Ryujinx implemented that, that's the whole point. Otherwise they would have done something like Yuzu.

To be a bit more clear : lan-play isn't tied to « just Ryujinx » or anything. It's made to have modded consoles being able to play online between each other (or sometimes even with unmodded consoles). Now Ryujinx users can also join in.

other CFW Switch users right? this is not using Nintendo services at all

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, i heard fallout 4 is shit but i think that was when it released