Hacking EOS Freezing

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am running EOS SP2 on my Sandisk 8Gig SDHC with a Supercard onei, It was running just fine till I added my old game list from my M3 Real. After I did that, every time I clicked on my NDS file it froze. I sat there for a good 10 minutes thinking maybe the game list is too large, so I deleted some and tried again, it still froze, so I deleted more, still froze, deleted the whole contents of the NDS folder, froze. So I reformatted it and it worked, till I ran a ROM, then it froze after that. So I used the old Supercard firmware which worked, then used YSmenu and it worked fine there. So it's only EOS that is freezing.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you tried running SP1? I've heard that SP2 has some bugs. SP2 kept freezing on me, but when I switched back to SP1 everything worked perfectly.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Raika said:
Have you tried running SP1? I've heard that SP2 has some bugs. SP2 kept freezing on me, but when I switched back to SP1 everything worked perfectly.
I'll try that out, is there any way to transfer the compatibility from SP2 to SP1?
Like with Sakura, where all you have to do is transfer the startnds.eng from one Sakura on another.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Pink Cat Boy said:
Flame™ said:
The Pink Cat Boy welcome to the supercard world

go to http://forum.supercard.sc/

i think you need this patch http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-5630-1-1.html my EOS SP2 works perfect.
That patch is for the non-SDHC version
Also are there cookies in the Supercard world?

it works with me, maybe i got another one, i think you should just lurk on that site.

in the m3 world you have a choice of one OS which just packaged in different ways in the supercard you have a choice of four(EOS, old OS, YSmenu & TTmenu). plus pokemon works without no problems.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The Pink Cat Boy said:
Flame™ said:
The Pink Cat Boy welcome to the supercard world

go to http://forum.supercard.sc/

i think you need this patch http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-5630-1-1.html my EOS SP2 works perfect.
That patch is for the non-SDHC version
Also are there cookies in the Supercard world?
Get that patch, and an updated ndsinfo.dat (both of which go into the _DSONE folder) and compatibility should be about the same as SP2. With DSONE those are usually more important as to getting games working as they should, though the SP2 has some other benefits (greatly improved disk I/O for one, which pays off in the OS and during some games it's noticable). I'd recommend SP2 if you can ever get it working...it's worked for me with no problems so far. I'll take a guess and say the improved I/O is why some people are having issues...it could be it's made the EOS have bad compatibility with some SD cards. I'm sure the Supercard Team will fix it, they seem to be pretty good about updates.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Haha, ok, you want irony? I just reformatted my card and now SP2 doesn't work any more.
tongue.gif
That's pretty annoying, too bad we can't figure out what the problem is. This indicates to me that it is something to do with formatting though.

*edit*
Aha. I reformatted it, not with the Panasonic SD Formatter people suggest (or with Windows) but an Unbuntu Live CD with Gparted (such as from here) on it, and it works again after that (I first tried the Panasonic formatter and it didn't help). Anyone having problems, I'd suggest trying this first.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
9th_Sage said:
Haha, ok, you want irony? I just reformatted my card and now SP2 doesn't work any more.
tongue.gif
That's pretty annoying, too bad we can't figure out what the problem is. This indicates to me that it is something to do with formatting though.

*edit*
Aha. I reformatted it, not with the Panasonic SD Formatter people suggest (or with Windows) but an Unbuntu Live CD with Gparted (such as from here) on it, and it works again after that (I first tried the Panasonic formatter and it didn't help). Anyone having problems, I'd suggest trying this first.
Yeah I already did that and now it's working,well it's working since I deleted a crap load of games I didn't play in months. So I guess one of the roms was the problem.
unsure.gif

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The Pink Cat Boy said:
Yeah I already did that and now it's working,well it's working since I deleted a crap load of games I didn't play in months. So I guess one of the roms was the problem.
unsure.gif
Evidently that's a currently known bug for everybody (the 'have a ton of ROMs' and the EOS has issues going into the folder thing). I haven't run into it, but I don't think I've got enough games in the folder, it sounds like the people running into this have a LOT of them. I'm sure it'll get fixed in the next release.

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
9th_Sage said:
The Pink Cat Boy said:
unsure.gif
Evidently that's a currently known bug for everybody (the 'have a ton of ROMs' and the EOS has issues going into the folder thing). I haven't run into it, but I don't think I've got enough games in the folder, it sounds like the people running into this have a LOT of them. I'm sure it'll get fixed in the next release.
It's kinda ironic since they made this update so it would be faster and be able to go through large amounts of files (from some video reviews I have seen). I also found away around it by making separate files for the different styles of games, like RPG, FPS, so on.

wannawanna

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, you can't have a certain amount of roms in one file. I think the max is around 20. I was having the same problem until I split my games into several folders.

joedanger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my tests, the number of roms seems to be around 26-28. But also i have seen that it doesn't seem to happen with all the memory cards, and that some users fixed the problem formatting the card, so it could be caused in part by a fragmentation issue.
I sent a report about it when SP2 was released, so they are probably working to fix it.

BerserkLeon

Not-so-new member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just got a rom, put it on the microsd, opened the folder on EOS, and it hung.
I renamed the rom to a shorter name and it stopped freezing...

joedanger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm starting to think that there's more than one thing causing this bug, but i haven't been able to figure all atm.
This will be a bit long, so i put some spoiler tags to try to make the post easier to read, probably someone might get an idea of what is happening, i'll try to continue testing later.
So far i think that the amount of directories has something to do with it, but also data fragmentation (thus format fixing the problem in some cases) and even punctuation in some of the rom names. Currently i suppose that probably the changes in the i/o system introduced in SP2 are apparently more sensitive to fragmentation issues in the card.
First i had a 4gb class 6 card, with around 60 roms, each one in a different directory. Someone asked me to test a game, so i deleted one of the games to make room and created a new directory, with the rom that i had to test. So after doing that i had the same amount of directories.
After inserting the Supercard in the DS i got the freeze bug (while it was working fine before with the same amount of folders).
I tried renaming the new folder, had the same problem.
Then i moved the rom in it to another of the folders that were already there, and deleted the new folder (resulting in having 1 less folder than before). Still freezing.
This made me think that probably fragmentation issues also have something to do with the problem. Then i made a backup and took Panasonic SD formatter to format the card and put everything as it was before after the format finished. And the problem got fixed, with the same folders, the same roms, etc.
But this doesn't end here.
I decided to do further testing and took my 8gb class 6 card. This one already had the freezing problem, that i managed to solve dividing 13x rom directories in 6 subdirectories (named 1 to 6), the first 5 with 25 roms, the last one with the rest of the roms.
So again, i made a backup and formatted the card with Panasonic SD formatter.
Put everythig back in the card (taking out the 13x directories from the 1-6 directories before taking everything back to the card to avoid any possible fragmentation).
I put the card in the Supercard, and... it froze.
So the problem is not caused only by fragmentation, also the amount of directories has something to do with it.
After getting those results i decided to try dividing them in 2 directories (the first one with 62 directories, the second with 70).
After this i tested again and the results were interesting. I was able to open the directory with 70 directories, but not the one with 62 (it froze with this one).
After this, i thought that probably punctuation or something related to the name of the files/directories also causes the problem.
I tried removing most of the punctuation symbols in those 62 directories but it still froze.
I divided those 62 directories in 2 directories, one with 30 and one with 32, and that seemed to work since i was able to open both of them without issues (and after this i noted that i forgot to remove some symbols from the names).

So far i think that the issue might be related to something like a timeout (if more than certain time happens when attempting to display the contents of a directory the program loops/freezes) and that probably it's taking more time to display the folders when they have other symbols and obviously it also takes more time to access them when they are fragmented. This would somehow explain why it gets fixed in some cases after formatting since it would be able to access them faster, and why the problem seems to appear after a certain amount of files that it can display are present. This last part is important, since apparently even if there are 1xxx of files in a directory but it can't show them it won't freeze (tested with the old OS cheat directory which has over 15xx files in it).

The Catboy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
joedanger said:
I'm starting to think that there's more than one thing causing this bug, but i haven't been able to figure all atm.
This will be a bit long, so i put some spoiler tags to try to make the post easier to read, probably someone might get an idea of what is happening, i'll try to continue testing later.
So far i think that the amount of directories has something to do with it, but also data fragmentation (thus format fixing the problem in some cases) and even punctuation in some of the rom names. Currently i suppose that probably the changes in the i/o system introduced in SP2 are apparently more sensitive to fragmentation issues in the card.
First i had a 4gb class 6 card, with around 60 roms, each one in a different directory. Someone asked me to test a game, so i deleted one of the games to make room and created a new directory, with the rom that i had to test. So after doing that i had the same amount of directories.
After inserting the Supercard in the DS i got the freeze bug (while it was working fine before with the same amount of folders).
I tried renaming the new folder, had the same problem.
Then i moved the rom in it to another of the folders that were already there, and deleted the new folder (resulting in having 1 less folder than before). Still freezing.
This made me think that probably fragmentation issues also have something to do with the problem. Then i made a backup and took Panasonic SD formatter to format the card and put everything as it was before after the format finished. And the problem got fixed, with the same folders, the same roms, etc.
But this doesn't end here.
I decided to do further testing and took my 8gb class 6 card. This one already had the freezing problem, that i managed to solve dividing 13x rom directories in 6 subdirectories (named 1 to 6), the first 5 with 25 roms, the last one with the rest of the roms.
So again, i made a backup and formatted the card with Panasonic SD formatter.
Put everythig back in the card (taking out the 13x directories from the 1-6 directories before taking everything back to the card to avoid any possible fragmentation).
I put the card in the Supercard, and... it froze.
So the problem is not caused only by fragmentation, also the amount of directories has something to do with it.
After getting those results i decided to try dividing them in 2 directories (the first one with 62 directories, the second with 70).
After this i tested again and the results were interesting. I was able to open the directory with 70 directories, but not the one with 62 (it froze with this one).
After this, i thought that probably punctuation or something related to the name of the files/directories also causes the problem.
I tried removing most of the punctuation symbols in those 62 directories but it still froze.
I divided those 62 directories in 2 directories, one with 30 and one with 32, and that seemed to work since i was able to open both of them without issues (and after this i noted that i forgot to remove some symbols from the names).

So far i think that the issue might be related to something like a timeout (if more than certain time happens when attempting to display the contents of a directory the program loops/freezes) and that probably it's taking more time to display the folders when they have other symbols and obviously it also takes more time to access them when they are fragmented. This would somehow explain why it gets fixed in some cases after formatting since it would be able to access them faster, and why the problem seems to appear after a certain amount of files that it can display are present. This last part is important, since apparently even if there are 1xxx of files in a directory but it can't show them it won't freeze (tested with the old OS cheat directory which has over 15xx files in it).
That's some serous extensive testing, I think you should send this report to Supercard so they can try and work this out

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/qv96JYhfAuA?si=_PN4PTWfj5BWI9wk