c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You own something if you have the DRM-free version
Wrong. You don't own the game. You only have some rights (license). If you buy a physical copy, you own the disc/cart, box, manual etc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i can see the 2 sides, but im not sure of anything
It's really easy. Those who think the GDPR could be used to unban a console are obviously wrong. Those who say the opposite are obviously right.

Batpeter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wrong. You don't own the game. You only have some rights (license). If you buy a physical copy, you own the disc/cart, box, manual etc.
You have the right to use the digital files, save them and use them however you like as far as copyright laws permit. In stark contrast to something like Steam where you do not own the right to use the files however you like, you agreed to use them only with the Steam client.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You have the right to use the digital files, save them and use them however you like as far as copyright laws permit. In stark contrast to something like Steam where you do not own the right to use the files however you like, you agreed to use them only with the Steam client.
you do, Steam is not an exeption but I do agree with what ur saying that It can only be used on the client itself but the court ruling also says I can make a copy of it then sell that copy if I delete my copy
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...nnot-stop-you-reselling-your-downloaded-games
Nintendo is in violation of this btw since it deletes accounts that are sold with games on

Last edited by kumikochan,

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You have the right to use the digital files, save them and use them however you like as far as copyright laws permit.
I said this

In stark contrast to something like Steam where you do not own the right to use the files however you like, you agreed to use them only with the Steam client.
So in your world, if I buy a game from Steam and download it through Steam, it is against the law if I play this game I bought without the Steam client? What law is it that forbidds this? At least in Germany this is perfectly legal.

crissal

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Im not talking about ownership, im saying usage is limited to using a client. You are not allowed to circumvent the client.
But it says I can make a copy so in that way I do have to circumvent that. Anyway Nintendo is in violation of this since it deletes accounts that are bought with games on

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They do but only from game cartridges, not from online updates
Then I don't think anyone can legally do anything as Nintendo is not preventing anyone from buying a game and play it as it's the main function of the gaming console to play games...

So doing what this thread describes even if Nintendo agree would only make them remove the more user customised telemetry which have nothing to do with banning\unbanning as they are totally legal to prevent that console from online functions but would simply have to comply in deleting stuff like your real name if it even has, addresses, mail info, ips and any other pointless crap that has anything to do with the person entity and not the console which they still totally own all of its sofware.

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
DRM-free, however, let you do anything with your copy of the data (music, movie, game...).
Technically speaking, you are right. But from a legal point of view, there is not a big difference between DRM games and DRM-free games.

Batpeter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it says I can make a copy so in that way I do have to circumvent that. Anyway Nintendo is in violation of this since it deletes accounts that are bought with games on
No you're either transferring the actual data which is useless without the client, or you are (also) transferring the right to download and use the game with that client. You're not allowed to use a crack to circumvent that client.
As far as access to games go, yeah i think you're right that Nintendo has to give you access to the game you legally bought for at least as long as their platform exists. Access to online features within that game is a different story though.

Last edited by Batpeter,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No you're either transferring the actual data which is useless without the client, or you are (also) transferring the right to download and use the game. You're not allowed to use a crack to circumvent that client.
I don't know since it does not state anywhere in the law that I can't use game cracks to run it without a client. I atleast can't find anything towards that regarding European law. It could be but I can't find anything regarding that

That does not mean that anyone has to make this possible for you. You are only allowed to do it
yeah and I can resell that copy as long as I delete my copy is what the court ruling says

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No you're either transferring the actual data which is useless without the client
A lot of games on Steam don't have DRM and can be copied and played without the client

As far as access to games go, yeah i think you're right that Nintendo has to give you access to the game you legally bought for at least as long as their platform exists. Access to online features within that game is a different story though.
Read Nintendo's EULA. The EULA that you had to agree to buy the game...

yeah and I can resell that copy as long as I delete my copy is what the court ruling says
Sure you can. I don't know of any case where Steam sued a user for selling a used game and won. Do you?

Batpeter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know since it does not state anywhere in the law that I can't use game cracks to run it without a client. I atleast can't find anything towards that regarding European law

Pretty sure the TOS contains this information and this is not against the law. Cracking a game is always illegal because you're tampering with copyright. The only exception i can think of is when a client dies and you want to retain access.

Read Nintendo's EULA. The EULA that you had to agree to buy the game...

Pretty sure that goes against EU consumer laws, voiding that part of the EULA

Last edited by Batpeter,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Pretty sure the TOS contains this information and this is not against the law. Cracking a game is always illegal because you're tampering with copyright. The only exception i can think of is when a client dies and you want to retain access.

TOS is not above the law so if the law doesn't state that I can't crack it when bought to circumvent client usage then I can. It's as simple as that. Can they delete my license on the client itself if they found out ? Yes they can but can they sue me for doing that and then reselling that copy no they cannot. Does steam have to allow accounts to be sold ? Yes they have as can been seen in that court ruling since I am not breaking TOS and the high court said you can.
Nintendo is unlawfully deleting bought accounts so they should be called out for that

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's not. If you modify your console, they have every right to deny you access to their online service. Why would EU consumer laws say anything different? This is a good thing for the consumers. Do you want cheaters in online games?

Batpeter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not. If you modify your console, they have every right to deny you access to their online service. Why would EU consumer laws say anything different? This is a good thing for the consumers. Do you want cheaters in online games?
Im talking about access to your game by downloading it and playing it, this is not a service but a right. Apparently you even have the right to resell a DRM game. I specifically said online features (within that game) are a different story.

Last edited by Batpeter,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1