OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was under the impression that there was no region restrictions with the DS. Wouldn't 2 roms, 1 from Europe and one from USA be the same size?

I have also come across 2 USA Roms that have been different file sizes. Why would they be different?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What i dont get is, and perhaps someone can clear this up for me, is why DS roms are so big in the first place!!!! I mean lets looks at some SNES RPGs, Chrono Trigger, Brilliant detailed Soundtrack, great Graphics, long quest, weighs in at 3 meg. Seiken Densetsu 3, MASSIVE in every way possible, great graphics, 60+ different soundracks, again, i think it weighs in at 4 meg. 4 meg! If chrono trigger was ported over to the GBA, you could guarentee it to be a whopping 32 meg download, why??

Similar again, Metroid Fusion on GBA, small, graphics and sound are good, its an 8 meg download for gba. Super metroid on snes, bigger and better in every way, 2 meg? What gives?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
3d graphics, sound (the DS uses a lot of (IMA-AD)PCM sound which by nature is massive) and FMV are usually the thing responsible for file sizes of DS roms. Also space was a lot tighter during the SNES era so compression was used more readily (most DS roms merely compress the 3d component) as various techniques like tiles reused with different palettes also were far more commonly used.

For the record though not all gba games are huge: the recent FF titles ported to the GBA are only 64Mbit

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes thats what i mean, final fantasy is 64mbit, but thats still 8 meg, still over 4 times the size of the original SNES carts. But if its a compression thing then i understand now
smile.gif

butaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hah after reading both of your posts, chrono trigger snes + fmv from psx one would probably be an easy feat to port. i doubt it thought since its been done but still...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Heheh