referencer

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So what are these things? Do I get to play games for free?

A backup loader is a homebrew application allowing for the use of legally-acquired backup ISOs of your legally-purchased Wii games bought from legal retailers, or, more accurately, mindless piracy. They work by unlocking and using a disc drive mode hidden in the Wii allowing non-authenticated discs to be played. Two of them have been released at the time of this post. The first one was Waninkoko's, and was leaked to the public before Waninkoko had a chance to release it, provoking him to refuse the finished release to the public altogether. The second was Wiigator's, an open source backup loader built off of a GeckoOS release, and originally called "Backup Loader GeckoOS Edition" until GeckoOS' author, Nuke, made complaints of it being affiliated to him (along with, apparently, canceling development of GeckoOS entirely). They've both caused a lot of ruckus within the "scene" and come along with some dire implications toward the future of homebrew in general.
But no one cares about any of that anymore, so let's get down to the piracy.

FREE GAMES, KICKASS! How do I use 'em??

Waninkoko's loader has a perfectly serviceable guide to getting it running over here, and setting up Wiigator's is largely the same process. To run either of them, you'll need the loader, cIOS v5, the DVDX installer, the ISO "patcher", a means of running homebrew (most commonly the Homebrew Channel), a WAD installer, burning software (ImgBurn suggested), and a small amount of common sense. Common sense is in the shortest supply of all those listed above, and most of them are linked to in the setup thread, save for Waninkoko's original files (cIOS v5, his loader, and the patcher), which were removed in respect to Waninkoko's wishes and are easy enough to find on your own. Note that the ISO patcher will take awhile to finish patching, so don't close it prematurely. When burning, use +/-R media, and make sure your drive's booktype is set to DVD-ROM. A GUI version of the ISO patcher is available here. This place has a lot of various info on Waninkoko's loader, including compatibility lists.

cIOS? What's that? Will it break my Wii and/or cause the apocalypse?

A cIOS (Custom IOS) is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike custom firmware for your Wii. The IOS is the "operating system" of the Wii, (not firmware, and as a result, much safer than actual custom firmware would be) and is contained in variously-tweaked version packages all coexisting in your Wii. A cIOS is a release of IOS files altered to incorporate different features not usually allowed, and is installed as a new IOS version, allowing safe and simple installation and uninstallation without a big risk of bricking your Wii. They were primarily used for disc dumping before the advent of backup loaders. It is possible for a cIOS to cause problems with your Wii, but it's unlikely if you haven't done any large modifications to your Wii.
They may indeed cause the apocalypse.

So do all games work? Can I play Gamecube games with these?

Short answer, no. All games suffer from slower loading speeds, and there are still a lot of games that have various issues with the loaders. There are compatibility lists for Waninkoko's (mentioned above) and Wiigator's, though, and there are a few roundabout solutions to work around errors in some games, which can be found by searching around the forums.
Gamecube backups don't currently work with the loaders, but they can be run provided you have an SD Gecko. A Gamecube-compatible backup loader being released in the near future is not inconceivable.

Ooh! Can I play online with backups?

No. This is not due to any type of legitimacy checks in Nintendo's wifi as far as I know, but primarily because of the 3x disc read speed imposed by the Wii's DVD video mode. Because of this, your game ends up loading slower and sometimes playing differently than others', causing desynchs and connection problems when playing online. There's no immediately obvious fix for this limitation without hitting the problem from a different angle, so don't hold your breath.
It may be possible to play online with others who are also using backup loaders, but I couldn't find any material on that. Try it!

Can you hook me up with some ISOs, dude? I hear Link's Crossbow Training is pretty sweet.

No. Go find your own.

If you're having a problem with the loaders or have a question pertaining to them, post here instead of making a new thread. Common problems and questions will be edited into this post as they come. If anyone can elaborate on the subjects mentioned here, by all means, do so, and I'll add it in.
Disclaimer: I haven't actually used the backup loader, so it's possible that I have some of my info wrong. If I do, make me aware of it and I'll edit it with correct info.

GexX2

Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
referencer said:
GexX2 said:
Actually, WiiGator's backup loader does work with patchmii cIOS v6 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GVBE22AN

Not sure where this originally came from, but it does indeed work. Says it was made by WiiGator. Wonder where he went off to after brakken wiped his thread.
I got the info from here.
I'll take the line out.
Ah, I was trying to remember where I got the link to the v6. Got it from this post. "Not sure where this originally came from" was referring to me, not being able to remember where I got the link.

blueeyes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for what you wrote, It helped clear up some stuff.

Anyway, I still have some problems and playing backups still doesnt work.

I patched the ISO with backup-creator just fine and wanted to burn the IMG File with imgburn but i always got an error msg, something about illegal iso, even though I did everything step by step.

I then burned the ISOS with Nero at 2x speed. But I always get an error msg, something about Title Identification... ERROR (ret = 4100).

I have DVDX and CIOS rev. 6. I also tried other cio revisions, one gave me following error uppon trying to play an iso with backup launcher: Subsystem Error -6.

What am I doing wrong???

referencer

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Third page already...

GexX2 said:
Ah, I was trying to remember where I got the link to the v6. Got it from this post. "Not sure where this originally came from" was referring to me, not being able to remember where I got the link.
Ah, that makes sense. Do you know if the loader only works with v6, or does it work with other versions?

QUOTE(noobwarrior7 @ Oct 3 2008, 03:18 PM) also, our wiki with a lot more information is here:

http://maschell.de/mediawiki-1.6.10/index.php/Main_Page

it has error data,
history,
a more noob-friendly tutorial
and lots of compatibility info.
I had that linked in the compatibility section, but I'll add that to the loader setup section as well.

Base

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for writing this up. But there is one thing I still don't really get.

What are the advantages of using this over the normal way of playing "backups"?

scuj1

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First of all, great post, definitely should be stickied and where noobs should be directed to read first.

blueeyes said:
Thanks for what you wrote, It helped clear up some stuff.

Anyway, I still have some problems and playing backups still doesnt work.

I patched the ISO with backup-creator just fine and wanted to burn the IMG File with imgburn but i always got an error msg, something about illegal iso, even though I did everything step by step.

I then burned the ISOS with Nero at 2x speed. But I always get an error msg, something about Title Identification... ERROR (ret = 4100).

I have DVDX and CIOS rev. 6. I also tried other cio revisions, one gave me following error uppon trying to play an iso with backup launcher: Subsystem Error -6.

What am I doing wrong???

Think I seen a solution to this already on here (not had the problem yet myself). Check the size of the patched ISO. If its around 3.8Gb, you should mount the iso to a virtual drive first (Alchohol 120%) and then 'copy on the fly' to your burner. Think A 120% can do this too, although I don't use it.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong! lol

referencer

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Base said:

It's software-based, while the normal way, a modchip, is hardware-based. A lot of people--despite the highly-detailed guides--aren't too keen on the idea of cracking open their $150 $250 Wii and burning things into it while hoping they don't break anything. SD cards have a number of different uses, as well, and are far more likely to be already lying around the user's desk somewhere than modchips are.

Base

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
referencer said:
Base said:

It's software-based, while the normal way, a modchip, is hardware-based. A lot of people--despite the highly-detailed guides--aren't too keen on the idea of cracking open their $150 $250 Wii and burning things into it while hoping they don't break anything. SD cards have a number of different uses, as well, and are far more likely to be already lying around the user's desk somewhere than modchips are.

Oh lol. I never knew that, didn't know you can do that without modding your wii.
sleep.gif
"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3