EVGA is cutting ties with NVIDIA, will no longer make graphics cards

16192311269l.jpg

EVGA, one of the most well-known brands in terms of computer graphics cards, is exiting the market. After a long partnership with NVIDIA, EVGA will no longer continue to make GPUs with them, nor any of their competitors such as Intel or AMD. This is a major upheaval for both, as 78% of EVGA's entire business is comprised of GPU sales, while EVGA-branded NVIDIA graphics cards represented around 40% of NVIDIA GPUs sold in North America. The news initially broke when two tech industry YouTubers were brought into a meeting with company CEO Andrew Han, in which Han discussed how EVGA was planning on cutting ties with NVIDIA, claiming that NVIDIA wasn't treating their partners well.

Some of these instances included how NVIDIA would not allow its partners to know vital information until the public was informed, that most GPUs are sold at a loss, and most importantly, that EVGA believes NVIDIA is undercutting and undermining them by selling the cheaper "Founders Edition" graphics cards that NVIDIA themselves sell at low cost.

EVGA will continue on as a company by still manufacturing PC peripherals, motherboards, and power supplies, as well as supporting customers who have purchased their current generation graphics cards. For now, employee layoffs are not planned, despite the notable decline in future revenue.

:arrow: Source

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GPUs allegedly were 80% of EVGA's revenue... It's a pretty big deal.
Keep in mind that 80% is from sales during the mining boom.

It's also worth mentioning for those who didn't watch the video. Nvida's CEO has been quoted saying how he feels the AIBs (like eVGA, and others) make all this money for doing "nothing"

Apparently selling to miners has left him disconnected to the real world and how things work when the gold rush dies.

JonJaded

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does everyone think GPU prices will increase? The vacuum that's going to be left in the wake of EVGA stepping back will just be filled by the ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE and Zotac. While yes, that means less competition in the space, Nvidia is still definetly going to sell through rather than keep/not produce the PCBs they would've sold to EVGA.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that 80% is from sales during the mining boom.

It's also worth mentioning for those who didn't watch the video. Nvida's CEO has been quoted saying how he feels the AIBs (like eVGA, and others) make all this money for doing "nothing"

Apparently selling to miners has left him disconnected to the real world and how things work when the gold rush dies.
Given how quick he was to start undercutting his partners now that the mining bubble bust so hard and suddenly, You'd think he's actively wanting to make nvidia its sole provider of geforce cards... the same way that 3dfx bought out a manufacturer to start printing its own versions of Voodoo cards back then. At one end if you can manage the logistics, it's a great way to be able to provide. But it also makes it far easier to faceplant the moment that a company starts resting on its laurels.... just like how 3dfx was effectively blindsided by nvidia all those years ago.

I'm already expecting history to repeat itself.

krasaty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GPUs allegedly were 80% of EVGA's revenue... It's a pretty big deal.
Revenue, but not profit. They make the majority of their money on other products. GPUs have a very low profit margin and high price, so even if it totals the most revenue, it's not actually bringing in the most.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Revenue, but not profit. They make the majority of their money on other products. GPUs have a very low profit margin and high price, so even if it totals the most revenue, it's not actually bringing in the most.
No, but is it hurting? Revenue and profit may not be mutually exclusive, but you can't have the latter without the former yeah?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
No, but is it hurting? Revenue and profit may not be mutually exclusive, but you can't have the latter without the former yeah?

I've heard they have actually made losses at times on GPUs, particularly recently as they try to get rid of stock after the cryptocrash.

One thing to note is that EVGA is a private company, the owner(s) could very well see a loss in profit but think the hassle is simply not worth it. They don't have shareholders they have to tell 'we want to make less money by making my job easier'.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Either way, no big loss for EVGA since profit margins on GPUs were so shit, they make way more money off everything else they make.

Won't be a problem whatsoever, it'll still get Nvidia updates like any other Nvidia GPU would and EVGA still plans on honoring any warranties for their products until they all expire.
1. No they don't. Their margins weren't great on GPU cards, especially of late, but most of their revenue came from that. As just another power supply company, they are now a very minor player in this industry that will never, ever see the kind of revenues they just posted for the previous quarter. They will be dead within a few years. It is a HUGE loss for them, obviously.

2. Will be a problem for sure. Firstly they "plan" on being able to honor warranties with existing stock. That may not be enough for the myriad of cards that are still under warranty. People at EVGA who support the GPUs will be looking for jobs elsewhere, obviously, which means it will get harder and harder to get support for the cards with each passing month until EVGA apologizes and thanks you for understanding.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Funny that a CEO chose Youtubers for the interview. Mainstream media wouldn't have cared, and if the news came from Youtubers - it's treated as gossips, to avoid legal actions.
Sheesh! Like "mainstream" tech media is trusted by anyone with a clue. For getting the message out to the people that matter, EVGA couldn't possibly have chosen a better outlet than GN. At least they didn't choose those clueless clowns at Linus.

Reactions: MadMakuFuuma

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well this blows, I have used EVGA exclusively for the pact 10 years probably.
In case anyone is wondering, they make really good motherboards too

Reactions: ILuvGames

Axmand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
They are breaking with NVIDIA because they are not treating them well, but you will also cease your partnership with Intel and AMD, i find this a little weird...

Reactions: 64bitmodels

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the rumours pint to Nvidia continuing to molest it's loyal customers.

They're shifting the branding/bracket again, supposedly. Selling 4070, as the 4080

They have a load of stock they begged TSMC to take back/cancel. TSMC refused, only allowing Nvidia to delay a few month.

What's worse is energy prices have been climbing steeply. Another rumour is Nvidia's 4 series is very, very, very power hungry...ouch.

Their share prices look set to take even more of a hammering . They deserve so much worse though

calagan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland

EVGA, one of the most well-known brands in terms of computer graphics cards, is exiting the market. After a long partnership with NVIDIA, EVGA will no longer continue to make GPUs with them, nor any of their competitors such as Intel or AMD. This is a major upheaval for both, as 78% of EVGA's entire business is comprised of GPU sales, while EVGA-branded NVIDIA graphics cards represented around 40% of NVIDIA GPUs sold in North America. The news initially broke when two tech industry YouTubers were brought into a meeting with company CEO Andrew Han, in which Han discussed how EVGA was planning on cutting ties with NVIDIA, claiming that NVIDIA wasn't treating their partners well.

Some of these instances included how NVIDIA would not allow its partners to know vital information until the public was informed, that most GPUs are sold at a loss, and most importantly, that EVGA believes NVIDIA is undercutting and undermining them by selling the cheaper "Founders Edition" graphics cards that NVIDIA themselves sell at low cost.

EVGA will continue on as a company by still manufacturing PC peripherals, motherboards, and power supplies, as well as supporting customers who have purchased their current generation graphics cards. For now, employee layoffs are not planned, despite the notable decline in future revenue.

:arrow: Source
They make very good power supplies; hope this will keep then afloat.

Reactions: ILuvGames

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
They are breaking with NVIDIA because they are not treating them well, but you will also cease your partnership with Intel and AMD, i find this a little weird...

It’s not that they’re ceasing AMD/Intel, it’s that they’re not seeking partnerships with them for GPUs.

Basically, they’re exiting the GPU space completely.

MadMakuFuuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sheesh! Like "mainstream" tech media is trusted by anyone with a clue. For getting the message out to the people that matter, EVGA couldn't possibly have chosen a better outlet than GN. At least they didn't choose those clueless clowns at Linus.
well said my friend, well said!
--------------------------------------------------
on the topic, i saw someone posting this on other forum, and if somebody already posted here, sorry, but i think it is interesting:

Attachments

• nvidea clown.jpg
    nvidea clown.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 26

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nvidia and intel tend to take the douchiest routes. EVGA did the right thing. and please keep in mind revenue stream doesn't equate to profit. if it takes 50 billion investment to create a product, and your revenue stream is 50.01 billion, .01 billion profit may not make it worth your troubles. especially when it's easy to predict it'll be even less in the future.

and amd is still a company and will screw you over at the drop of a hat, but they at least try to create goodwill with customers.

Gamers Nexus and Jayztwocents are more than just average tech youtubers. They're both leagues above the swill of Linus Tech Tips by an entire star system, for one.
I was pretty surprised they're popular. I find them incredibly boring. it's like listening to a tired instructor, monotone and flat. even at 2x speed i fall asleep, so i usually just avoid their videos as i can usually get the same info from other channels or from news outlets. they really need to tighten their scripts. either cut the fluff or make the fluff entertaining. their methods are solid though. but the same can be said for the linus people so i don't really get the hate.

Last edited by osaka35,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I find Linus' ignorance not only arrogant, but willful to the fault of being dangerous.

Even before I started making the conscious effort to ban LTT off my feeds, he already had a reputation of dropping and damaging products sent to him for review and a frustrating attitude of refusing to spend more than a video at a time without a new phone on his side pocket.

He constantly lambasted any build that was practical, to the point where him saying "r g b" was like a pokemon saying it's name in the anime.

The last useful video he'd made, was one about "are liquid cooling parts from AliExpress viable?" Back around... 2016?

He had a real ego problem. He was reviewing a laptop he disliked, enough to throw a tantrum about it to fling it over his head. It landed on a counter that had some components on it; most notably, an Intel CPU that normally sells for $10k each. And the dude had the unabashed audacity to call up his Intel contact to ask for another one, in the same video.

His douchiest troll before I cut him off the algorithm, was when he first made a video of an all rgb PC, then made a follow-up of an anti-rgb PC... By taking the former build, plasti dipping it black, and then asking "why doesn't it work?" 🤦‍♂️ Man is stupid to the point of being a danger to everything around him.

He has the nerve to act like he's some self made, independent identity, when anyone with more than a two second memory would know he got his start as a staffed reviewer for ncix before they went outta business. He wants to act like he has journalistic integrity, when 15 of every 20 minutes of video he makes is festooned with ads for any and every sponsor under the sun. Guy makes entirely too much sponsor money for anything outta his mouth to be taken seriously. And yet the YouTube algorithm ensures he gets 10 million views at minimum with every upload.

P.s. how is a guy supposed to claim he is a parent, when he still sounds like he used Speedrun strats to skip puberty? I can't imagine how that insufferable idiot can boss around so many people while sounding like he's 8 years old.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users