Homebrew Exceeding the 300 Title Limit on the New Nintendo 3DS Systems

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, before anyone gets critical on me, read this thoroughly...

I have a New Nintendo 2DS XL which I use for a bunch of small, indie titles (like Toki Tori, Runbow Pocket, etc.), and a New Nintendo 3DS XL which I play a lot of the major 3DS games on (Super Mario 3D Land, Triforce Heroes, etc.). Well, my New 2DS XL has managed to reach the 300 title limit.

Let me clarify what state my 2DS XL is in, just so everyone can understand:
  • The New 2DS XL has badges from Nintendo Badge Arcade, but none of them are on the Home Menu, so therefore my Home Menu did NOT run out of room because of simply how many icons are there.
  • This DOES NOT include folders. Some people mistakenely think that folders on the Home Menu count. I can confirm that they do not. Removing folders didn't fix my issue.
  • Oddly, the 3DS eShop tells me that I have downloaded 351 titles, but the system's Data Management in settings tells me that I have 60 pages of five titles each, in which 60 x 5 = 300. I'm wondering if it isn't including DSiWare, and is including Save Data, backups, etc.
  • None of my 3DSes (I have at least six) have ever been homebrewed before, so thus I have not applied homebrew to the 2DS XL either.

I am well aware of 3DSBank, however this only creates another profile for the 3DS, thus separating the software from each other. What I want to do is EXTEND the limit, thus keeping my software unified. I want to know if this is possible, and how it can be achieved.

I have read where the limit could be hard-coded into the 3DS firmware. I'm not trying to break anything; I just want to exceed the limit. Any workarounds, methods, etc. are welcome. I am also willing to emulate the 3DS's NAND, if this will help me achieve my goal. I have read about the similarities between the 3DS and Wii, so I don't expect this to be too difficult; however, I understand that even though they use the NAND format, they are structured differently, so I also don't expect to use Wii homebrew on the 3DS!

Sorry if I sound like a complete noob, because I am. I'm sure that my request sounds a bit like I don't understand, and I'm willing to admit that I don't (at least, not yet). Now, you may offer your critique! :P

Last edited by HarveyHouston,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it may be possible to overcome the limit with fbi, since I think you can load games via fbi. it's a bit like system config tool on the wii u, which also can get around the limit.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it may be possible to overcome the limit with fbi, since I think you can load games via fbi. it's a bit like system config tool on the wii u, which also can get around the limit.
FBI? I think @Steveice10 is the developer, and he just archived the project not too long ago. I don't know if I want to install something that isn't being maintained. Not to sound too worried, but I've heard of Nintendo locking you out of your 3DS becase of homebrew, so I want to do this just right.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you can load games in there, but it's been a very long time. it's just a long list just like system config tool, so it doesn't look all that great compared to the home screen. anyway, you shouldn't need anymore updates for fbi. beyond that, I know of no other way. I've gone over the 300 limit before when I had a bunch of retroarch cores and games, but I deleted all of them. when you delete games from the home screen and you're over the 300 limit, other games will appear in their place, so they're on there.

Reactions: HarveyHouston

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure you can load games in there, but it's been a very long time. it's just a long list just like system config tool, so it doesn't look all that great compared to the home screen. anyway, you shouldn't need anymore updates for fbi. beyond that, I know of no other way. I've gone over the 300 limit before when I had a bunch of retroarch cores and games, but I deleted all of them. when you delete games from the home screen and you're over the 300 limit, other games will appear in their place, so they're on there.
So, what can you do with FBI? Can you hide games, so that you can then download more? I have more titles I can't download because I've reached the limit.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure. I was thinking it would have a list of all installed games, so none would be hidden. it would include the games that exceed the limit. it's like system config tool, which does the same thing: shows all installed games even if it exceeds the limit. I think they're all on there, just something prevents them from showing up. it's like how the vita will only show 100 bubbles on the livearea unless you use folders. if you rebuild the database, anything beyond that 100 limit will not appear until you place the existing games in folders. when you do, it will rebuild the database some more, but won't eliminate the folders. it'll just have more games appear on the screen. I've seen this happen with my vita when I had a bunch of homebrew games. point being: I think the games are always on there for just about any system, it's just that some limit prevents them from appearing once you reach it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
FBI? I think @Steveice10 is the developer, and he just archived the project not too long ago. I don't know if I want to install something that isn't being maintained. Not to sound too worried, but I've heard of Nintendo locking you out of your 3DS becase of homebrew, so I want to do this just right.
You're gonna have issues then. Because more or less every dev has moved on from the 3DS and nobody is working on it anymore. Most all the homebrew you use or may want to use is no longer being maintained. It's a dead console. Deal with it. ;)

So, what can you do with FBI? Can you hide games, so that you can then download more? I have more titles I can't download because I've reached the limit.
You can launch games from the titles list in FBI (which doesn't have a 300 title limit)
It's not as nice as the home menu but it works.
Another option is to separate your games into multiple MicroSD cards, or if you want to have them all on one big card, multiple emuNANDs on said card with different games on each.
I think there is also a homebrew that can rearrange the list (so you can change which titles appear on the home menu) but that's kind of a big hassle.
eShop might have a limit to prevent you from installing games past the 300 limit but if you use cias that's not a problem.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: TurdPooCharger
D

Deleted User

To be fair, you're not doing yourself any favours by contemplating this.

There are already enough Posts about slower 3DS loading times with other methods outside of 3DSBank, so even if theoretically you achieve this, what practicality does it have to see applications when they're displaying slowly and are unenjoyable to navigate through.

Everything comes back down to practicality at this point, because that is the guiding motivation for people to Homebrew the 3DS for mainstream use. You could probably find a few sympathisers on a theoretical level, but whether they're motivated enough to find a solution for you in the current 3DS lifespan is another issue.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is generally the reason for those limits: stability. I already have some sluggishness for about one to two seconds on my 128GB micro sd card and about 200 things installed.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is generally the reason for those limits: stability. I already have some sluggishness for about one to two seconds on my 128GB micro sd card and about 200 things installed.
This is why I'm wondering if some can be hidden, and thus won't make it sluggish.

EDIT: If FBI won't help me, then what else can I use?

Last edited by HarveyHouston,

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is why I'm wondering if some can be hidden, and thus won't make it sluggish.

EDIT: If FBI won't help me, then what else can I use?
if you are using FBI then you got cfw, homebrew is below that but still within it. So that dont mean shit when your going on about nintendo banning people. Its not something to worry about.

If you want to exceed the 300 title limit then just use https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3dsbank-nintendo-3ds-folder-selector.516996/ . It creates multiple 3ds folders that allows you to switch between them and the titles installed to said 3ds list. Its about the best thing there is to what you want.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you are using FBI then you got cfw, homebrew is below that but still within it. So that dont mean shit when your going on about nintendo banning people. Its not something to worry about.

If you want to exceed the 300 title limit then just use https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-3dsbank-nintendo-3ds-folder-selector.516996/ . It creates multiple 3ds folders that allows you to switch between them and the titles installed to said 3ds list. Its about the best thing there is to what you want.
I guess what you all are telling me is that there are no other options. Dang! I was really hoping to just extend the limit somehow, but I don't suppose anyone has been able to successfully make that happen.

Oh, well. 3DSBank is one way to do it, I suppose. It's still not what I want, though.

froggy55

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious about this 300 title limit thing i have both a new 3ds and a new 3ds xl on my xl i am past 300 titles and none of them disappear or anything they all show up both my new 3dses are homebrewed i have read on other forums that if you go over titles start to disappear i am not sure if it is how the homebrew hack was setup but everything works fine i use fbi installer only but as i have said people said in other forums that even with this titles will disappear after 300 but that they can be launched from fbi fortunately i dont seem to have this issue im simply asking for informative purposes so anyone with info about this i look forward to hearing from you thanks

_collin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm curious about this 300 title limit thing i have both a new 3ds and a new 3ds xl on my xl i am past 300 titles and none of them disappear or anything they all show up both my new 3dses are homebrewed i have read on other forums that if you go over titles start to disappear i am not sure if it is how the homebrew hack was setup but everything works fine i use fbi installer only but as i have said people said in other forums that even with this titles will disappear after 300 but that they can be launched from fbi fortunately i dont seem to have this issue im simply asking for informative purposes so anyone with info about this i look forward to hearing from you thanks
Maybe this helps

if you have dsiware titles installed, these do NOT count. So the Title Limit is 300 3DS Games and 50 DSiWare Games

TrackMaD

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
2022-07-26_16-37-51.494_top.jpg

So im a little confused with this sysinfo as i always delete the ticket of a title when i delete a title and doesn't this mean im over the limit but i can see all titles on the home screen although some titles are in folders does that make a difference ?.
Any ideas ? not that it matters i hope just curious.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
View attachment 319589

So im a little confused with this sysinfo as i always delete the ticket of a title when i delete a title and doesn't this mean im over the limit but i can see all titles on the home screen although some titles are in folders does that make a difference ?.
Any ideas ? not that it matters i hope just curious.
Tickets are only the licenses, and a game may generate 3 tickets: one for the game itself, other for it's update and finally one for DLCs, so the count won't ever be an 1:1 ratio.
If you actually bought some legit items on eShop, the eShop will readd any missing tickets again, even if you don't redownload said items right away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Anybody here have a Xbox series S and a series X, is the performance difference noticeable? Not...