Exclusive: Sony PSP2 arriving in 2010, features PowerVR SGX543 graphic

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
The PSP2 is most likely to have a $500+ price tag. The technology is extreme but it's going to come with a VIP price.

Definitely. I thought Sony would have learned that jacking up prices don't work. They're being beat in both the handheld and console markets pretty heavily (with the DS outselling the PSP nearly 2-to-1 and the Xbox outselling the PS3 by nearly 10 million, not to mention the Wii outselling the PS3 by more than 2-to-1).

Like with most consoles, you can just wait a year and the price will go down a lot. The only exception was the Wii, but that was already incredibly cheap to begin with (I got my Wii for $400, but it came with Twilight Princess and MP3 as well as charger kit for the remotes).

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DeltaBurnt said:
The next generation handhelds are coming...maybe...

Again this is all pretty much rumors but I'd be very happy to see the DS2 be more powerful than the PSP2.

Also even though I got a DSi it'll still be 2011 at best before the DS2 even comes to America, so I won't be mad at all.

I highly doubt the DS2 will outpower the PSP2.

Even though Nintendo has had some awesome games out for their consoles/handhelds (which nets them their sales), Sony has outpowered them in practically every generation.

D

Deleted_171835

I'm pretty happy with what the next generation systems are rumoured to be like. Poor Consoles. I think it's pretty obvious that Nintendo/Sony are doing this to combat the "threat:" that is the iPhone/iPod Touch. In the end it's all good for us. Well maybe, the price won't be good. Handheld video game systems are more like handheld "entertainment" system. Hell they can browse the internet, listen to music, download games, and what not.
wacko.gif
I can't wait 'till late 2010.

Seek01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raiser said:
DeltaBurnt said:
The next generation handhelds are coming...maybe...

Again this is all pretty much rumors but I'd be very happy to see the DS2 be more powerful than the PSP2.

Also even though I got a DSi it'll still be 2011 at best before the DS2 even comes to America, so I won't be mad at all.

I highly doubt the DS2 will outpower the PSP2.

Even though Nintendo has had some awesome games out for their consoles/handhelds (which nets them their sales), Sony has outpowered them in practically every generation.

Actually this is the first generation when Nintendo's console didn't outpower Sony's Console.

The 64 was more powerful than the PSX
The Gamecube was more powerful (GPU at least) than the PS2. Look up some of the tech demos for the Gamecube, it could do some pretty amazing stuff.

gacktgacktgackt

Trophies
Website
thedeskandchair.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Relatively unknown tech-news blog reports a whole pile of speculative nonsense then flat out states the PSP2 will be out in 2010 just so it can gather hits SHOCKER.

Seriously, the guys technical details for the article are solid, but that release date? Complete and utter fiction, the reason he doesn't state his "source" isn't because it's under an NDA, it's because the "source" doesn't actually exist.

D

Deleted_171835

gacktgacktgackt said:
Relatively unknown tech-news blog reports a whole pile of speculative nonsense then flat out states the PSP2 will be out in 2010 just so it can gather hits SHOCKER.

Seriously, the guys technical details for the article are solid, but that release date? Complete and utter fiction, the reason he doesn't state his "source" isn't because it's under an NDA, it's because the "source" doesn't actually exist.

Proof, or be gone.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remind me again why everyone thinks the PSP2 will cost "$500+"?

First off they're using technologies derived from those already implemented in existing systems (iPod touch 3rd gen, iPhone 3Gs) and in one/two years, they will be even cheaper to produce.

I doubt Sony didn't learn anything from the PSP-1000 launch.

Pricetag will be $250 or under.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Linkiboy said:

First off they're using technologies derived from those already implemented in existing systems (iPod touch 3rd gen, iPhone 3Gs) and in one/two years, they will be even cheaper to produce.

I doubt Sony didn't learn anything from the PSP-1000 launch.

Pricetag will be $250 or under.
PSPNo-Go
Nuff said.

stab244

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh dang... I'll probably still end up getting the DS2 or TS or whatever you want to call it. Got a good supply of original DS games to play...

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
frown.gif
*insert swearing here* They are really pushing it with churning out a new (somewhat) handheld a year. That said I hope it doesn't come out for another 2 years so 2011.

@person who said they have to combat the ipod touch
No just no the ipod touch is not a damn gaming system. Hell they are even happy for having 80,000? apps and half or more are god damn demos.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Linkiboy said:
Because people can't wrap their brains around the idea that technology gets cheaper with time.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
granville said:
Is this even real, along with the DS2? Last I heard, DS2 was only a rumor, this could very well be one as well.

No offense to the Sony fans (and i'm a partial one myself somewhat being a big fan of PS1 and PS2), but this thing has some bad ideas if the article is telling the truth-

1- No back compatibility
2- Saying "developers will HAVE to get used to the new tech"
3- just plain ditching the PSPGo, nice move Sony (morons)

Take #2 for a good example in the history of gaming. The Sega Saturn had very very poor third party support because the system was hard to code for and no one was familiar with the technology in it. It died, some say, thanks to this fact. Handheld graphics as good as today's PC power seems a little overblown considering the handheld market is less about extremely expensive power houses of consoles that usually cost $500 or so. If this is real, I can imagine it will be quite expensive, possibly breaking $250.

And for the things they didn't even mention that are important-

- design? How will the thing look?
- battery consumption? Power is nothing if it only lasts for 1.5 hours
- game format? Will it use a CD-type format, or digital downloads?
- controls? Will they add a second analog stick this time?
- size? a handheld the size of a gamegear isn't a true handheld
- price? mentioned above, but all that fancy tech is quite expensive sounding
- games? i'm troubled at gaming devices becoming more like media centers, having fewer real games
- longevity? How long will it be before they just redesign THIS model and replace it like the last 4?
- customer satisfaction? most importantly, they risk alienating gamers with releasing new stuff so fast and outmoding old

Like I said, wonder if this article is even real at all. We don't even know if DS2 is real. Both Nintendo AND Sony have JUST released new revisions of their handhelds (DSi and PSPgo). It's getting ridiculous with all the revisions. I'm skeptical as to whether any of this is real. If it is, it's getting really out of hand. You can't even go 2 years without your hardware being obsolete.
Well, Nintendo was only signing on with Nvidia for their next portable console graphics chip, it doesn't mean it will be out in the next couple of years. The DS still has a decent lifespan and really Sony trying to get a headstart on Nintendo with a more powerful device is just an attempt to be first on the market instead of creating a quality device that is friendly for developers and affordable, the PSP was at original launch considerably more then the DS. Sony seems to think that getting ahead will help them sell more units next time around when in reality they should be focused on getting more games and a steadier flow of quality games over the lifetime of their consoles, plus a more friendly media format would help them out a fair bit too, though I could see direct to drive being the only method that Sony and Nintendo opt for with their new handhelds, especially if the PSPGo does that already, helps Sony push their Memory Stick Micro as well.

DarkSpace

Custom member title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What is a normal lifespan of a handheld? I mean the handheld creators must be thinking like apple's ipood branch. A new ipod or a revision is released a couple of times every year. Kind of outrageous and kind of funny.

Sir Spanky

Trophies
XP
Country
In terms of the 'next gen' consoles (i.e. this generation) the DS's graphics and hardware really is crazily outdated. It obviously has a massive library of great games, but the 2d and very basic 3d graphics are seriously showing their age. I can't believe it has been out for over 5 years now!

Anyway really looking forward to the 'DS2' and hope they call it the new Gameboy
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: