Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Official GBATemp review of:

EZ-Flash 3​

cartandbox.jpg

I've finished my review of the EZ-Flash III 1gbit flashkit. I know many of you will be eager to know just how this flashkit fairs so don't hesitate to visit the REVIEW. I'd like to thank e2city for supplying this flashkit for review, I'm sure you already know of the quality service they provide without me having to go into it.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Great REVIEW!

However you either lie about this: "Think of it as an inbuilt pogoshell but better (providing you know what pogoshell is)", or you don't know what pogoshell can handle.
Let me sum it up:
* Filesystem which allows you to skin everything
* You may change how diffrent format icons look
* Support for nesroms, smsroms, gbroms, ggroms (not as standalone .bins)
* Support for wav, mid, mod
* Support for view of bmp only
* Great textviewer

There you pretty much have it, the only thing I see which is better with the Ez-3 is the bmp,jpeg,gif support. How do the imageviewer actually work? Can u easily/quickly switch picture(s) on the GBA?

Let me add another CON for you, since u didn't have to pay for this, PRICE is high!

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Great REVIEW!

However you either lie about this: "Think of it as an inbuilt pogoshell but better (providing you know what pogoshell is)", or you don't know what pogoshell can handle.
Let me sum it up:
* Filesystem which allows you to skin everything
* You may change how diffrent format icons look
* Support for nesroms, smsroms, gbroms, ggroms (not as standalone .bins)
* Support for wav, mid, mod
* Support for view of bmp only
* Great textviewer

There you pretty much have it, the only thing I see which is better with the Ez-3 is the bmp,jpeg,gif support. How do the imageviewer actually work? Can u easily/quickly switch picture(s) on the GBA?

Let me add another CON for you, since u didn't have to pay for this, PRICE is high!

I've been using pogoshell on my f2a ever since i got it all those years ago
wink.gif
I know how good pogoshell is, it's features, it's drawbacks, it's incompatibilities. Frankly I've stopped using pogoshell on all my flashcarts, I find it more of a hinderance then an amazing piece of software now. If you offered me the EZ-Flash 3 loader's way of handling saves/files/etc or the pogoshell way. I'd pick the EZ-Flash 3 loader. It's of course an opinionated review of the EZ-Flash 3, how could it not be?
rolleyes.gif

With the support for pictures all you have to do is drop the files onto the 1gbit section then when it's up and running on the cart just select the picture and it'll load straight away in it's original size so that you can move the d-pad around to see the whole picture if the picture is as bigger than the screen. To select another picture simply press B to go back and choose another picture. Pretty simple
wink.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gimme.

Hmm 128 megabytes, I wonder if I should hmmm.... I dunno if I want this or superflash! this sounds like it is a lot more compatable with roms than superflash though.

Opium, what brands of microchips are on the PCB? I'm guessing generic ones typical of non-bung cards.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I'm not sure what you mean exactly amptor, I've never been too much of a hardware buff. But if you mean the brand of the microchips that are located on the back of the cartridge it says Samsung.

clark2k

Trophies
Website
www.gbabrasil.net
XP
Country
Brazil
Opium, great review!!

Do you think you soon could make also a Supercard review, just to compare things?
wacko.gif

Or even make a "EZ Flash 3 vs. Supercard" article? That would be great for people to choose what new backup kit is better.
gbasp.gif

Cheers!

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Opium, great review!!

Do you think you soon could make also a Supercard review, just to compare things?Â
wacko.gif

Or even make a "EZ Flash 3 vs. Supercard" article? That would be great for people to choose what new backup kit is better.Â
gbasp.gif

Cheers!

I wouldn't mind doing a supercard review, however there's one slight problem. I don't have a supercard.....or a compact flash card for that matter
unsure.gif

accolon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Great review!
smile.gif

I want to buy a new flash card soon, and now I'm thinking of getting one of these.

However, I've got a question which is very important to me since it refers to one of the main problems I've always had with flash cards:
Does it lose save games? Is this even possible on the EZ-Flash III?

QUOTE said:
All your save files go into a folder on the 1gbit section (also known as EZ-Disk) called ‘Saver’

Does this mean save games are stored in the flash ROM? Why does the card have a battery then? Or does this only refer to those instant saves?

On all flash cards I know, the "rechargeable" battery was either not rechargeable at all (XG... ahem) or died after a few months, which meant that the card lost all saves as soon as I turned off my GBA. I even soldered a socket for button cells into my flash card and changed the battery every few weeks -- this is something I don't want to go through again. So if the EZ could keep the saves permanently inside the flash without relying on battery powered SRAM, this would be the greatest improvement ever.

Oh, and another thing:
Does it work with emulators (PocketNES, Goomba, DrSMS)? Perhaps this a stupid question, but I've heard about problems with some flash cards.

GeneralLeoFF

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I see the way it does 256Mbit ROMs as a major limitation. That part really sucks. You get 1 rather then the 3 - 5 that would fit on the 1GB using the compression.

Other then that the card seems cool but becose of that I'll stay on the market for 1GB cards for the time being and not buy it.

[edit]

The card layout I want:
1Gb (128MB) flash for storage with compression.
32Mb (8MB) for saves not shared with the 1Gb storage
32Mb (8MB) for OS ROM for managing card functions not shared with 1Gb storage (cheats, saves, loading, etc...)
256Mb (32MB) for moving decompressed ROMs to for play

The save and OS flash would be shared on a single 64Mb (16MB) flash.

Then I want a switch on the cart that movies a bit of plastic up and down on the edge of the cart so it can depress the GB/GBC mode switch on a GBA/SP and then can be used for playing GB/GBC games with all the above functions.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Nice review. Another noteworthy PRO for the EZ-Flash 3 is the extended PCEAdvance support... due to the extra 128 MBit RAM on this Cartridge it was possible for FluBBa to emulate the PCE Super CD system finally. Dracula X on the go anyone?
wink.gif

*If* I was going to buy another GBA Flash Cart it'd be an EZ-Flash 3 for sure.

-- enarky

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Great review!
smile.gif

I want to buy a new flash card soon, and now I'm thinking of getting one of these.

However, I've got a question which is very important to me since it refers to one of the main problems I've always had with flash cards:
Does it lose save games? Is this even possible on the EZ-Flash III?

QUOTE said:
All your save files go into a folder on the 1gbit section (also known as EZ-Disk) called ‘Saver’

Does this mean save games are stored in the flash ROM? Why does the card have a battery then? Or does this only refer to those instant saves?

On all flash cards I know, the "rechargeable" battery was either not rechargeable at all (XG... ahem) or died after a few months, which meant that the card lost all saves as soon as I turned off my GBA. I even soldered a socket for button cells into my flash card and changed the battery every few weeks -- this is something I don't want to go through again. So if the EZ could keep the saves permanently inside the flash without relying on battery powered SRAM, this would be the greatest improvement ever.

Oh, and another thing:
Does it work with emulators (PocketNES, Goomba, DrSMS)? Perhaps this a stupid question, but I've heard about problems with some flash cards.

I'll explain how the saves work quickly.
The EZ-Flash 3 does indeed have a battery and you'll be happy to know it's rechargable. All you have to do is stick it in the writer and the battery will recahrage. I've never had to do this because i thought the battery needed more charge. I've gone a month without sticking it in the writer and it still worked fine. When you play a game it decompresses to the hidden 128mbit section right? Well when you finish playing the game and turn it off the save is still in that 128mbit section, so when you turn the ez-flash 3 on again in the start up screen for the boot loader it will display a small message saying that it is saving the save file for the last game you played. it only takes a second or two. If you hold in the L button it will cancel saving the sav file. The .sav file is saved to the 1gbit section of the cart so yes, saved games will not disappear on you
smile.gif

When you load the game again, it decompresses as per usual and then for like 1 second or not even that it says 'loading save file' before the game begins (in which time the save is transfered to the 128mbit section along with the rom). The same kind of thing happens on the 256mbit section, all the saves on the cart are found in the 'saver' folder on the 1gbit section.

The EZ-Flash 3 works with all those emulators.

QUOTE said:
I see the way it does 256Mbit ROMs as a major limitation. That part really sucks. You get 1 rather then the 3 - 5 that would fit on the 1GB using the compression.

well in the near future (end of march) you will be able to play as many 256mbit games on the EZ-Flash 3 as you want with the software update that's coming out.

Nice review. Another noteworthy PRO for the EZ-Flash 3 is the extended PCEAdvance support... due to the extra 128 MBit RAM on this Cartridge it was possible for FluBBa to emulate the PCE Super CD system finally. Dracula X on the go anyone?

that's news to me! Wow sounds pretty good *ahem* a golden nickel to the one who can get me a .gba file for Dracula X using PCEAdvance
wink.gif

accolon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'll explain how the saves work quickly.
The EZ-Flash 3 does indeed have a battery and you'll be happy to know it's rechargable. All you have to do is stick it in the writer and the battery will recahrage. I've never had to do this because i thought the battery needed more charge. I've gone a month without sticking it in the writer and it still worked fine. When you play a game it decompresses to the hidden 128mbit section right? Well when you finish playing the game and turn it off the save is still in that 128mbit section, so when you turn the ez-flash 3 on again in the start up screen for the boot loader it will display a small message saying that it is saving the save file for the last game you played. it only takes a second or two. If you hold in the L button it will cancel saving the sav file. The .sav file is saved to the 1gbit section of the cart so yes, saved games will not disappear on you
smile.gif

When you load the game again, it decompresses as per usual and then for like 1 second or not even that it says 'loading save file' before the game begins (in which time the save is transfered to the 128mbit section along with the rom). The same kind of thing happens on the 256mbit section, all the saves on the cart are found in the 'saver' folder on the 1gbit section.

Thanks for your answer.

This sounds logical to me, since the card doesn't know when you stop playing and therefore isn't able to store the save file to the flash when you hit the power switch. To be on the safe side, one could always turn on the GBA again for a short time.
wink.gif

This sounds almost too good to be true.
smile.gif

Zorn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hey accolon.

if you want something to know about the EZIII
then i can tell it to you in german.
So maybe you can understand it better.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1