Hacking EZ-Flash IV (microSD) has corrupted save data on SMA1.

ScottBeebiWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the latest kernel, and there's no save file on the microSD Card. Loading SMA1 from NOR doesn't help. Is there some way to maybe erase any saved data that SMA1 may be trying to access?
Edit: Just to clarify, i'm using the No-Intro (USA, Australia) Dump of Super Mario Advance 1

Last edited by ScottBeebiWan,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"and there's no save file on the microSD Card"
Odd. Did you delete some existing save data? It has happened before (it was a Zelda title on the DS if memory serves) where deleting a save is one thing but then when the device recreates the file it does not zero it out and thus the original file is restored. Depending upon the nature of the corruption then that might be a problem.

I assume you tried loading another game in between just in case something is stuck in memory. Should not be the case here but brute force and all that.

ScottBeebiWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"and there's no save file on the microSD Card"
Odd. Did you delete some existing save data? It has happened before (it was a Zelda title on the DS if memory serves) where deleting a save is one thing but then when the device recreates the file it does not zero it out and thus the original file is restored. Depending upon the nature of the corruption then that might be a problem.

I assume you tried loading another game in between just in case something is stuck in memory. Should not be the case here but brute force and all that.
I loaded Pokemon Emerald, and `The internal battery has run dry.` I'm not sure if that should happen. Could've sworn the EZ-Flash had an RTC.
Anyway, got far enough to save, exited, ran SMA, yet again, `Save data is corrupt.`

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the pokemon save is new then the RTC would not have been programmed and thus that would appear.

Is there a save for mario yet?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My sincere apologies I was thinking the Omega for some reason. Call it first thing in the morning if you want.

For super mario the advice is rename the game to an 8:3 style name (up to 8 characters in the name, 3 for the extension). I don't know if that goes with the current GBA side patching kernels but for older versions it was the case.

The EZ4 does not have RTC and thus unpatched games. You will want patches for the pokemon games named for gems
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3924/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3912/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3927/

ScottBeebiWan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For super mario the advice is rename the game to an 8:3 style name

That worked. Weird because the first time I ran SMA it was fine.
Also is there any way to prevent the 50% chance that the EZ4 shows up as a "DS Option Pak" on the DS Lite?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The option pak thing is more when the connections are not good. Clean the EZ4 contacts (a pencil rubber in a pinch, better some electrical (not automotive) contact cleaner and a cotton bud/qtip). You might also have to clean the GBA slot of the DS which can be fun -- take the battery out and have a go with said contact cleaner, or you can insert and remove the EZ4 (or another GBA cart) a whole bunch of times.

SMA wise we figured out for the original stuff that it was when the EZ4 tried to write it back to the cart that the issue happened. If you could soft reset the game then it will likely work fine and depending upon where saves were in RAM it might have not been overwritten.
Anyway glad it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/O8G6DCnlLDQ