F(x)tec partners with XDA to announce new, privacy-focused Pro1-X smartphone

pro1.jpg

Earlier this year, we reviewed the F(x)tec Pro1, a rather unique smartphone that comes with a full-blown, sliding physical 64 key QWERTY keyboard. While great for productivity, it is also very much adapted for gaming, at least for the games and emulators that support its keyboard as input methods as noted in our official review. For its next phone, F(x)tec is still keeping those features but is this time laying emphasis on giving users control over their data, privacy and OS. Their Pro1-X, created in partnership with the mobile software development community XDA, was officially announced today.

It comes preloaded with Lineage OS, making it the world’s first consumer smartphone to run this OS out of the box. On top of offering a pure Android experience, LineageOS allows users to control exactly what data and information are shared with the apps and services that they use thanks to the added controls and privacy permissions. The device also supports Ubuntu Touch with additional OS support in development. The Pro1-X sports a 5.99 inch AMOLED display, a Snapdragon 835 processor and comes with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage (there's also a lower-priced 128GB model). Compared to the original Pro1, the major improvements on the specs with the Pro-1-X are the RAM and storage boost (and a different, Sapphire Blue color scheme). It can be considered as an incremental update as other specs such as the processor and cameras have been kept the same. So really, the focus is on the OS and giving more control to the user; and if that's something you care about (with the added benefit of hardware keys), you might want to consider this smartphone.

game.PNG

side.PNG back.PNG

F(x)tec's Pro1-X launches its Indiegogo campaign today, whose goal has nearly been reached as of writing. Super Early Bird for the 256GB go for $499 (sold out) while the 128GB fetches for an Early Bird price of $649 USD (21% off). There's also an option to have one before this Christmas (Pre-Christmas 128GB Pro1-X at $749 USD), while the regular ones are expected to ship in March 2021. If you want to have an idea regarding what to expect when it comes to gaming and functionality, be sure to check out our official review linked below as the Pro1-X will share similar performance to the original Pro1.

:arrow: F(x)tec Pro1-X Indiegogo campaign
:arrow: F(x)tec Pro1 Official GBAtemp Review

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd rather get a Galaxy S10, which you know, has good specs for emulation. As does Google Pixel 4a and 5.
Are there options to turn those into privacy focused devices, kick all the phoning home to daddy google (and whomever else is in the mix) and reliance upon them?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Are there options to turn those into privacy focused devices, kick all the phoning home to daddy google (and whomever else is in the mix) and reliance upon them?
Are there options? Sure. Would you like some of those options? Lolno

Samsung phones running Snapdragon are hit or miss with bootloader unlocks and rooting. Just found out tonight I can unlock my Note 10+ bootloader if I pay $100.. Yes, it works. No, I don't know how legal it is. Eyeing the Pixel 5 Unlocked if Lineage makes its way over.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I gotta say, this actually looks pretty attractive to me. I've been waiting for a "good enough" phone with a slide-out keyboard for a while, one that rejects the modern pursuit of the thinnest shell possible and the absence of bezels in favour of comfort and usability. I'd appreciate a slightly higher spec than this, but it's certainly interesting.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
qwerty keyboard...about time duh! idk why they even removed those.
Also i wonder how it is for gaming...
As someone who used QWERTY on mobile for a while, touchscreen keyboard on large enough screen does its job just as well, if nor better. Benefit from physically feeling buttons is really undermined by keyboard itself being too small and soft for thumbs

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
As someone who used QWERTY on mobile for a while, touchscreen keyboard on large enough screen does its job just as well, if nor better. Benefit from physically feeling buttons is really undermined by keyboard itself being too small and soft for thumbs
i guess they should have done like nokia ngage has done it, protruding buttons.

Phudou

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Something like this, but with removable battery and from a great producer that can grant me batteries availability for ten years...:bow:

kebokyo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk why someone would get the pro1 over something like what planet devices offer...
The Astro Slide is just so much more modern in all aspects, and has a relatively more usable keyboard.
Yeah, that keyboard definitely looks better. It's also around the same price.

I think what everyone's complaining about the price of these things is forgetting about is that there are two factors in play that are making these phones more expensive:
1. They're smaller companies, so they can't streamline their manufacturing process as much.
2. They're making unique hardware to have the keyboard, and thus more time, resources, and money need to go into manufacturing that unique hardware.
Getting a keyboard phone will just be more expensive than a phone without a keyboard with similar specs. It sucks, but it really do be like that sometimes. It really do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't know how Aldis managed to pack better potatoe salad than Walmart but it is Walmart quality...